Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

31 Days of Oscar 2019

160 posts in this topic

Just now, sagebrush said:

That possible reason hadn't occurred to me. I'm sure you're correct about it.

Yeah, if you think about it, nobody was ever nominated for an Oscar for a role in which they played a killer. Not during the production code era.

Typically, if you were a woman, you had to play a mother who sacrificed things for her children (like Irene Dunne did in I REMEMBER MAMA), a saint (like Jennifer Jones in SONG OF BERNADETTE), or a victim who overcomes evil (like Ingrid Bergman in GASLIGHT).

If you were a man, you had to play a father who set a good example for his children (like Gregory Peck in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD), a holy man (like Spencer Tracy in BOYS TOWN), or someone who overcomes corruption (like Marlon Brando in ON THE WATERFRONT).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...Except for Ronald Colman, who murdered a lady in his film. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For day 24:

Best Picture Winner with No Other Wins
It's hard to look back at THE BROADWAY MELODY now and see why it was chosen for best picture because it's sooo dated! I guess it being the first musical film was it's draw. I do enjoy the musical numbers in it.
GRAND HOTEL is so polished, by comparison or not. Out of this cast of luminaries, I think Joan Crawford gave the very best performance.
 
Best Conrad A. Nervig Editing Win
KING SOLOMON'S MINES is a beautifully shot film with all of the vastness of Africa on display.
ESKIMO, in contrast, is shot in black and white, and the scenery is flat with snow as far as the eye can see. Somehow, though, it's a more interesting film to me. I thought the performances were good, too, especially for 1933.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

...Except for Ronald Colman, who murdered a lady in his film. ;)

Oh yes! I knew there had to be an exception somewhere!

I guess we could mention Vivien Leigh in GONE WITH THE WIND (though Scarlett does get redeemed, for the most part)...and in A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE (where Blanche does not exactly overcome evil).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

February 26, 2019:

7:45 a.m. They Were Expendable (1945)

10:00 a.m. Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944)

12:30 p.m. The Young Lions (1958)

3:30 p.m. The Dirty Dozen (1967)

6:00 p.m. The Story of G.I. Joe (1945)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: INGRID BERGMAN

Screen shot 2018-03-17 at 11.34.41 AM.png

8:00 p.m. Gaslight (1944)

10:15 p.m. Anastasia (1956)

12:15 a.m. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)

2:15 a.m. The Professionals (1966)

4:30 a.m. Manhattan Melodrama (1934)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For day 25:

Favorite Gangster (Cagney vs. Edward G. Robinson)
This one isn't fair; the best vs. the best! All I can say is, I like Cagney better than Robinson as a gangster, and I like Robinson better than Cagney as a "good" character.
 
1941 Best Screenplay: Original vs. Adapted
Hard again! CITIZEN KANE ranks high on my list of repeated views, but HERE COMES MR. JORDAN is one of my favorite films. It's so smart, so funny in the right places, and dare I say.... possible. Seriously, when I was a kid and saw this film, it kind of jump started my imagination as to what can actually happen to us when we die. Great film!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

February 27, 2019:

6:15 a.m. The Doorway to Hell (1930)

8:00 a.m. Johnny Eager (1942)

10:00 a.m. The Maltese Falcon (1941)

12:00 p.m. The Naked City (1948)

2:00 p.m. The Asphalt Jungle (1950)

4:00 p.m. White Heat (1949)

6:00 p.m. Mystery Street (1950)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: FAVORITE YOUNG BEST ACTOR NOMINEE

Screen shot 2018-03-17 at 11.34.41 AM.png

8:00 p.m. The Human Comedy (1943)

10:15 p.m. Skippy (1931)

12:00 a.m. From Here to Eternity (1953)

2:15 a.m. A Farewell to Arms (1932)

4:15 a.m. The Big Chill (1983)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For day 26:

Favorite Best Actress Win: Ingrid Bergman
ANASTASIA is a nice, beautifully shot film, but to me it's stage origins could have been concealed a little better.
GASLIGHT, on the other hand, is so atmospheric. You can almost smell the fog and feel the chill in the air.
I really love Ingrid Bergman's performance in this film. She has to go from confident, impulsive young woman to being hysterical and apprehensive in her every move, then back to confident (with much more wisdom.)
Charles Boyer is wonderful, as well (and Anton Walbrook was superb in the original.)
 
Favorite Conrad L. Hall Western Cinematography
BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID is the ultimate buddy film and it's fun to watch. THE PROFESSIONALS has some unexpected twists and just good performances all around. I don't know which one I think has better cinematography, but I like the latter film better.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sagebrush said:

For day 26:

Favorite Best Actress Win: Ingrid Bergman
ANASTASIA is a nice, beautifully shot film, but to me it's stage origins could have been concealed a little better.
GASLIGHT, on the other hand, is so atmospheric. You can almost smell the fog and feel the chill in the air.
I really love Ingrid Bergman's performance in this film. She has to go from confident, impulsive young woman to being hysterical and apprehensive in her every move, then back to confident (with much more wisdom.)
Charles Boyer is wonderful, as well (and Anton Walbrook was superb in the original.)

It's interesting how viewpoints differ. For example, I prefer the 1940 British version of GASLIGHT. Walbrook should have been nominated that year. And I think Diana Wynyard gives a much more well-rounded performance as the wife. Bergman is overwrought, too obviously showing off her acting skills, instead of playing the character in any realistic or subtle way.

I don't mind the staginess of ANASTASIA, since I think those characters are meant to be putting on an act. In that case, it works for Bergman to be a touch theatrical. Helen Hayes is fantastic as the grandmother.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

February 28, 2019:

6:15 a.m. Penny Serenade (1941)

8:15 a.m. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)

10:00 a.m. Jezebel (1938)

11:45 a.m. Kings Row (1942)

2:00 p.m. A Patch of Blue (1965)

4:00 p.m. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)

6:00 p.m. Rebel without a Cause (1955)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: FAVORITE BOXING BIOPIC

Screen shot 2018-03-17 at 11.34.41 AM.png

8:00 p.m. The Great White Hope (1970)

10:00 p.m. Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956)

12:15 a.m. Forever Amber (1947)

2:45 a.m. Separate Tables (1958)

4:45 a.m. Flight Commander (1930)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TopBilled said:

It's interesting how viewpoints differ. For example, I prefer the 1940 British version of GASLIGHT. Walbrook should have been nominated that year. And I think Diana Wynyard gives a much more well-rounded performance as the wife. Bergman is overwrought, too obviously showing off her acting skills, instead of playing the character in any realistic or subtle way.

I don't mind the staginess of ANASTASIA, since I think those characters are meant to be putting on an act. In that case, it works for Bergman to be a touch theatrical. Helen Hayes is fantastic as the grandmother.

I like the 1940 GASLIGHT, as well. I love Diana Wynyard in it, too. I also like Ingrid Bergman's Paula.

I can think of at least three films in which Anton Walbrook should have been nominated for best actor and wasn't.

I read somewhere that when MGM started production on the 1944 version, they tried to have all the 1940 prints destroyed so no comparisons would arise. Thank goodness they didn't get them all!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For day 27:

Favorite Young Best Actor Nominee

The Human Comedy (1943) vs.

Skippy (1931)

I usually don't care for Mickey Rooney, but I liked him in THE HUMAN COMEDY and the supporting cast is really good.
SKIPPY is good, too. It  couldn't have been easy to have all those very young children as the main focus of the film
without it derailing. Maybe that's why the film had two directors! 😄
 
Favorite Military Romance
I like almost everything about FROM HERE TO ETERNITY except....the military romance! I like the Donna Reed/ Montgomery Clift pairing, but I don't care for the Burt Lancaster/Deborah Kerr story line. I really dislike the famous ocean shore scene and it's dialogue about adding machines.
In A FAREWELL TO ARMS, Gary Cooper and Helen Hayes have good chemistry, and their story is sweet. A nice, simple film; very easy to watch.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I like the 1940 GASLIGHT, as well. I love Diana Wynyard in it, too. I also like Ingrid Bergman's Paula.

I can think of at least three films in which Anton Walbrook should have been nominated for best actor and wasn't.

I read somewhere that when MGM started production on the 1944 version, they tried to have all the 1940 prints destroyed so no comparisons would arise. Thank goodness they didn't get them all!

Yes, Walbrook gave several Oscar-worthy performances. Thank goodness the original 1940 version of GASLIGHT survived. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sagebrush said:

For day 27:

Favorite Young Best Actor Nominee

The Human Comedy (1943) vs.

Skippy (1931)

I usually don't care for Mickey Rooney, but I liked him in THE HUMAN COMEDY and the supporting cast is really good.
SKIPPY is good, too. It  couldn't have been easy to have all those very young children as the main focus of the film
without it derailing. Maybe that's why the film had two directors! 😄
 

I'm a fan of SKIPPY. Jackie Cooper's performance is just so pure. His acting would become a bit more affected in subsequent films. But in SKIPPY, his first picture, there's something very special going on. A short time later Paramount turned out a sequel called SOOKY, but I've never seen it anywhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

March 1, 2019:

6:45 a.m. Only Angels Have Wings (1939)

9:00 a.m. The Harvey Girls (1946)

11:00 a.m. Grand Prix (1966)

2:00 p.m. The Narrow Margin (1952)

3:30 p.m. The Spirit of St. Louis (1957)

6:00 p.m. Bullitt (1968)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: SOFTER SIDE OF SCORSESE

Screen shot 2018-03-17 at 11.34.41 AM.png

8:00 p.m. Hugo (2011)

10:15 p.m. The Age of Innocence (1993)

12:45 a.m. Logan's Run (1975)

3:00 a.m. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

5:45 a.m. 2010 (1984)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For day 28:

Favorite Boxing Biopic
I'm not really a fan of Boxing, so I kind of lose interest in the parts of films that actually take place in the boxing ring. The stories in both of these films were great, though.
I give a slight edge to SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME, because even though it was fairly early in Paul Newman's career, his character was a departure from his usual cool guy image he had in most of his other films.
 
Best David Raksin Nominated Score
The score of FOREVER AMBER is more memorable to me at the moment because last night was the first time I saw the film. It is indeed very pretty.  The score from SEPARATE TABLES, though, is a beautiful one which completely compliments the mood of the film. 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sagebrush said:

For day 28:

Favorite Boxing Biopic
I'm not really a fan of Boxing, so I kind of lose interest in the parts of films that actually take place in the boxing ring. The stories in both of these films were great, though.
I give a slight edge to SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME, because even though it was fairly early in Paul Newman's career, his character was a departure from his usual cool guy image he had in most of his other films.
 
Best David Raksin Nominated Score
The score of FOREVER AMBER is more memorable to me at the moment because last night was the first time I saw the film. It is indeed very pretty.  The score from SEPARATE TABLES, though, is a beautiful one which completely compliments the mood of the film. 

Enjoying your daily observations. Will be sad when it ends soon!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

March 2, 2019:

8:00 a.m. Marooned (1969)

10:15 a.m. The Time Machine (1960)

12:00 p.m. Forbidden Planet (1956)

2:00 p.m. Them! (1954)

3:45 p.m. Destination Moon (1950)

5:30 p.m. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: FAVORITE GENDER BENDING ROLE

Screen shot 2018-03-17 at 11.34.41 AM.png

8:00 p.m. Tootsie (1982)

10:15 p.m. Victor Victoria (1982)

12:45 a.m. The Graduate (1967)

2:45 a.m. The Last Picture Show (1971)

5:00 a.m. A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Enjoying your daily observations. Will be sad when it ends soon!

Thanks! I refer to it as my daily ramblings. 😄 It's been fun trying to pick a favorite from just two films. I hope they have a similar type of interactive challenge next year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For day 29:

Softer Side of Scorsese
THE AGE OF INNOCENCE is a lovely film. The wardrobe is especially spot on. I feel like Newland never really realized May's devotion to him, not even after she nursed him back to health at the cost of her own life. The film shows that he misses her, but in the end, I feel like the only reason he doesn't go up to Ellen's apartment is because he has lost his youth. This bothers me (I like May's character.)
 
HUGO is a nice fantasy film with some nifty camera work. I think I like this film better because it has silent-era films as a centerpiece.
 
Best Future Prediction
I like 2001 for it's use of classical music. The special effects are ahead of their time. 
I like LOGAN'S RUN better for it's story line about humankind only being permitted to live to the age of 30. Isn't that every 29 year old's nightmare? 😬
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

March 3, 2019:

7:30 a.m. Pygmalion (1938)

9:30 a.m. Our Town (1940)

11:00 a.m. Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940)

1:00 p.m. Baby Doll (1956)

3:00 p.m. Mourning Becomes Electra (1947)

6:00 p.m. California Suite (1978)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: EDITH HEAD

Screen shot 2018-03-17 at 11.34.41 AM.png

8:00 p.m. Sabrina (1954)

10:00 p.m. The Heiress (1949)

12:15 a.m. Raintree County (1957)

3:15 a.m. Giant (1956)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

March 3, 2019:

7:30 a.m. Pygmalion (1938)

9:30 a.m. Our Town (1940)

11:00 a.m. Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940)

1:00 p.m. Baby Doll (1956)

3:00 p.m. Mourning Becomes Electra (1947)

6:00 p.m. California Suite (1978)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: EDITH HEAD

Screen shot 2018-03-17 at 11.34.41 AM.png

8:00 p.m. Sabrina (1954)

10:00 p.m. The Heiress (1949)

12:15 a.m. Raintree County (1957)

3:15 a.m. Giant (1956)

'Baby Doll' is such a classic fille fatale Drama. 

'Giant', what can I say? Its a great book adaptation. Plus is one film my parents will always say they love Ms. Taylor in. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ClassicMovies_fan_chick said:

'Baby Doll' is such a classic fille fatale Drama. 

'Giant', what can I say? Its a great book adaptation. Plus is one film my parents will always say they love Ms. Taylor in. 

Can you believe 31 Days of Oscar is nearly over this year? It went fast!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching Baby Doll now.   Never seen it until now.  Great movie and holy cow this had to be considered pretty risque for the time wasn't it??  Tons of innuendo in this movie.   Funny too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us