Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

31 Days of Oscar 2019

160 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Solafide said:

I'm watching Baby Doll now.   Never seen it until now.  Great movie and holy cow this had to be considered pretty risque for the time wasn't it??  Tons of innuendo in this movie.   Funny too.

I believe it received a Condemned rating from the Catholic church.

So yeah...controversial for its time.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ClassicMovies_fan_chick said:

That and 'Lolita'.

FOREVER AMBER, which aired recently on TCM, also earned a Condemned rating.

There's probably a wiki page listing all the films that were Condemned during the production code era.

22 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

FOREVER AMBER, which aired recently on TCM, also earned a Condemned rating.

There's probably a wiki page listing all the films that were Condemned during the production code era.

Forever Amber seemed to be similar to 'Gone with the Wind'. 

For day 30:

Favorite Gender Bending Role
These are both fun films, but the fact that VICTOR/VICTORIA is a period picture and a musical instantly makes it more enjoyable to me. Also, Robert Preston should have won an Oscar for his Carroll Todd portrayal!

Best Coming of Age
I can't watch THE GRADUATE without having memories of being a very young child listening to the soundtrack playing over and over in my parents' living room. My sisters and I would giggle at the album cover with a still of the "leg scene". Music aside, I don't think it is as good of a film as THE LAST PICTURE SHOW, although I have a hard time keeping up with who is hooking up with whom in it!
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ClassicMovies_fan_chick said:

Forever Amber seemed to be similar to 'Gone with the Wind'. 

Yes, several films were inspired by GONE WITH THE WIND-- such as TAP ROOTS, THE FOXES OF HARROW and BAND OF ANGELS. But of these, only FOREVER AMBER was condemned by Catholics.

2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

For day 30:

Favorite Gender Bending Role
These are both fun films, but the fact that VICTOR/VICTORIA is a period picture and a musical instantly makes it more enjoyable to me. Also, Robert Preston should have won an Oscar for his Carroll Todd portrayal!

I agree about Robert Preston. He gave a lot of performances that should have been nominated. He was consistently great from the 1940s all the way through to the 1980s.

• Like 1

For the final day of 31 Days Of Oscar:

Best Costume Winner (Edith Head)
Audrey Hepburn really knew how to wear clothes! She was just a chic lady. I wonder, though, if her career would have been as lucrative if she had come onto the scene ten years earlier than she did (or even five years.) Would she still have been a fashion icon, or would she mainly be an actress known for appearing in European films?
Anyway... as much as I like her wardrobe in SABRINA, THE HEIRESS has some really gorgeous 1840's intricate costumes. The sets in this film are also superb, as is the acting.

Favorite Epic Soap Opera
No contest here at all. GIANT, is a tad too long, but it's a good film with really good performances. RAINTREE COUNTY is just long and dull.Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

For the final day of 31 Days Of Oscar:

Best Costume Winner (Edith Head)
Audrey Hepburn really knew how to wear clothes! She was just a chic lady. I wonder, though, if her career would have been as lucrative if she had come onto the scene ten years earlier than she did (or even five years.) Would she still have been a fashion icon, or would she mainly be an actress known for appearing in European films?
Anyway... as much as I like her wardrobe in SABRINA, THE HEIRESS has some really gorgeous 1840's intricate costumes. The sets in this film are also superb, as is the acting.

Favorite Epic Soap Opera
No contest here at all. GIANT, is a tad too long, but it's a good film with really good performances. RAINTREE COUNTY is just long and dull.Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I've enjoyed reading all your observations about films that aired on TCM this past month.

It's been a real treat!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I've enjoyed reading all your observations about films that aired on TCM this past month.

It's been a real treat!

It was fun! Some of the films were really hard to choose from (especially ON THE TOWN/SINGIN' IN THE RAIN!) Some of the others were easy choices (Sunday's GIANT/RAINTREE COUNTY.)

I do hope they have something fun next year for us!

• Like 2