Sign in to follow this  
starstricken

tcm technical troubles again

6 posts in this topic

Just when I believed that all of my tcm technical troubles were over forever, I tried streaming tcm on demand tonight without success. In the upper right corner where the logo of my cable provider, Verizon fios, is supposed to be was a tiny, blank, ominous  box colored "tcm green" that didn't respond to me in any way.  So I missed two more films that were running for the last day.  The sad moral of the story is that tcm is STILL technically unreliable, which is a darn shame.  Oh, it's working now, of course, but the two movies that I wanted to watch YESTERDAY are gone until who knows when. starstricken

• Sad 1

Same thing happened again tonight 11.8.18.  When I don't see my tv provider in upper right corner and just a blank, green box that doesn't even allow me to sign into my Verizon fios account, then I know that something is amiss, but apparently there is no solution.  tcm never responded to my inquiry (so what else is new???) and no one else has responded to my first message, so I guess that it's just me.  Everything had been going well with tcm for several months but now this.  Back to my ancient vcr collection then. So be it.

• Sad 1

I am not sure if what you (and others) are currently experiencing is the same and/or related to what I am experiencing or not??? But it definitely appears to me that TCM has recently taken a major step back into the deep-end of malfunctioning again, regarding WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND.

I hesitated to reply in this thread as unlike yourself, I am not having a specific problem "signing" in to my COX provider account.
NOT that everything has been "perfect" since TCM ON-DEMANDs most obvious major system "overhaul" this last June (2018), as I still noticed occasional "Window-Boxed (aka "Postage Stamp") presentations. Likewise an occasional "cut-short" feature (i.e. the last time they made the German version of THE BLUE ANGEL available on WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND it was cut short in exactly the same place as the previous time...). And there were the occasional "Delayed" availability of On-Demand titles from the expected 3-4 hrs after "live" broadcast up to a couple of days or so later.
But by in large I had accustomed myself to the on-going necessary security rituals in order to watch TCM on-line, and (aside from that hassle) there had been a modicum of relative "stability" these last few months.
However, after that generous "lull" another TCM "storm" appears to have brewed, and since this Tuesday evening (11/6/2018) I have especially began noticing that the "Live" streams (both East & West) were not updating... i.e. "Casablanca" & "The Best Years of Our Lives" remained on their WATCH TCM "Live" title list, well into the following day. That has since further degraded to the point where (as I write) NOTHING is currently available for live streaming at all (either East or West feeds), AND nothing has been added to the WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND play list since "Seven Seas To Calais" aired late last night, with the exception of the "Nostradamus" short which intermittently shows up and then disappears from the list.
Nothing at all has been added to the "playlist" which was broadcast yesterday (Thursday, 11/8/2018) to include none of last nights features which (when watched on "live" TV) had the end program logo that said that they were "also available for WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND" repeat viewing....
And the above is also accompanied by an extreme "sluggishness" when switching from a selected title on the playlist to actually bringing up the title when clicking the "more info" button below the title.
And yes, my ISP downstream speeds are more than adequate (per Speedtest.net) , and my PC browser (et al) is up-to-date, with no other add-ons, etc. And as usual, the problem only occurs with WATCH TCM and not with any other on-line streaming (i.e. PBS, NetFlix, YouTube, etc.)....

This current (observed) problem (with large blocks of movies not showing up on the WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND title list) has occurred before on TCM and rather frequently (meaning at least every month, lasting several days to over a week) from the second half of 2017, and becoming progressively worse toward the end of the last quarter of 2017.
Whether the reasons "why" then were the same reasons why they are happening now is anyone's guess, but TCM is again obviously not on-top-of-the issue, and again apparently as slow in correction, as they have repetitively been in the past.

It appears useless to complain to TCM about anything as they have consistently ignored any "provided" venues of reporting, and the Moderator's here are apparently equally oblivious to any threads and posts about our various issues as well, so no likelihood of forwarding our concerns to whomever????

Some posters have complained that their TV Service Providers have not been adding titles to their TCM channels "on-demand" list (as well as other issues)... I see a few regulars saying the "same 'Ol" from Comcast (as usual).
But I regularly use WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND from the TCM servers to my PC (and then relay the movies to my larger screen HDTV via an HDMI cable), so the problems I'm experiencing are directly from TCM without the TV Service Provider middleman.
It's highly possible (probable) that if TCM is (again) screwing up this badly with their own servers and "streaming" service that such problems are also leaking over to the various TV Service Providers that also have an "on-demand" channel option available, but in my case I am at least able to rule-out that additional variable since my WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND signals are coming directly (or not) from TCM via my ISP and NOT from my TV Service Provider.

So if any of you fellow TCM viewers (who happen upon this thread and post) are having similar related problems please be sure to add your concerns, and be specific as to whether you are attempting to view WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND via a PC (or some other on-line device), or through a specific TV Service Provider's "on-demand" channel.

The only hope of reporting such information here is that maybe, just maybe, a TCM Moderator will read it and consider that TCM is again having unregulated (unmonitored) "problems" and maybe (just maybe) may forward our concerns up their chain to someone at TCM who might (just might) actually act upon it and hopefully "correct" the problem...

A side note (which may or not be related) is that I noticed these problems began appearing shortly after TCM began adding their little "commercials" and "event promos" to the beginning of every WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND feature... ??? 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

But I regularly use WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND from the TCM servers to my PC (and then relay the movies to my larger screen HDTV via an HDMI cable), so the problems I'm experiencing are directly from TCM without the TV Service Provider middleman.

you're not alone...have tcm app on firetv, pc and tablet..there has been no live streaming for days;  there is no usual schedule available on the droid version; however, refreshing the page makes the on demand list up to date, and I can play any of them.  This is ALL tcm, and not providers (and it's the source, not the servers, or we couldn't stream the list) and unfortunately nothing new for them.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks to Stephan55 and shutoo for taking the time and effort to respond. At least it's not just me. As I have already viewed tcm's ads for its cruise and annual festival many times, I started to skip over them, so maybe Mr. Mankiewicz and Co. don't approve of that.  They became very annoying to me.  Tonight, I again attempted to stream two films that are appearing for their final day with no response.  I tried two different ways.  When I click on the circled arrow for each film, the block for that film turns "tcm green" without any response. When I see the green response, I know that I'm in trouble. Same thing happens when I click the "i" circle and then try "play" on that page.  Unlike before, the logo of my tv provider, Verizon, now appears in the upper right corner (rather than the previous, tiny "tcm green" box that was empty and unresponsive), but when I click the Verizon logo, I get nothing. As a die-hard classic movie fan, I have become far too dependent on tcm for classic movies.  I already pay Verizon handsomely for very limited tv service while I haven't watched or streamed any other channels in months, so I won't pay extra for any other movie channels.  It will be back to my ancient vcr collection again. I'm getting used to it now and may just forget about tcm in the future.  What an absolute turnoff. Very exasperating.  Thanks again for listening because Mr. Mankiewicz could care less about us.

Now I can stream on firefox but not Microsoft edge or chrome.  What's up with that? I'm going back to my ancient vcr collection anyway.  I'm sick of this!  It's like the old days when you're all set to watch a movie, and the projector suddenly goes dead. We've come a long way, baby. NOT.