Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

'Never Nancy': Democrats ramp up efforts to sideline Pelosi, without offering an alternative

45 posts in this topic

'Never Nancy': Democrats ramp up efforts to sideline Pelosi, without offering an alternative

A band of House Democrats determined to oppose House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's speaker bid are planning to release a signed letter as soon as this week indicating that they have gathered enough support to deny her the 218 votes needed to win the gavel on the House floor in January, a move they say would complicate her path to a second term as speaker and force renewed discussion about her stepping aside.

"This is a simple letter saying we want new leadership, which is what a vast majority of Democrats and the American people want," Rep. Seth Moulton, D-Mass., a member of the group, told reporters Tuesday.

Pelosi, who has said she's "100 percent confident" that she will be the next House speaker, has been working since last week on her bid, meeting and talking with new members and incumbent Democrats, to shore up support.

Prominent Democrats off Capitol Hill -- from New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and former Sen. John Kerry, to former Vice President Al Gore -- have been making calls on her behalf, and influential House Democrats and activists have provided a steady drumbeat of public endorsements.

But Pelosi's critics argue that she has an increasingly apparent math problem. While she's expected to lock up the caucus speaker vote with a majority of members on Nov. 28, they're hoping to publicly release their letter before that vote to hammer their point home.

This mess sounds like the Florida recount, and how far left has the party gone when a San Francisco liberal is not radical enough for the Democrat party.

• Thanks 1

For ONCE I'm going to agree with one of your little "final summations" here, MM!

And, NOT so much because of your whole "Florida recount" thing, OR because of your perception about "San Francisco liberals", OR about your perception about the Democratic party's "radical-ness".

BUT, only because THAT woman has become as DIVISIVE a figure throughout this country of ours as your boy, the Man-Child-in-Chief IS.

(...and so I say find somebody, ANYBODY else but HER for her old job!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

For ONCE I'm going to agree with one of your little "final summations" here, MM!

And, NOT so much because of your whole "Florida recount" thing, OR because of your perception about "San Francisco liberals", OR about your perception about the Democratic party's "radical-ness".

BUT, only because THAT woman has become as DIVISIVE a figure throughout this country of ours as your boy, the Man-Child-in-Chief IS.

(...and so I say find somebody, ANYBODY else but HER for her old job!)

As you know it comes down to perception;    Since Dems generally have trouble winning elections in many non-coastal states, often being perceived as too-liberal (regardless if this is true or not),   to have the face of the party be from San Francisco makes no political sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As you know it comes down to perception;    Since Dems generally have trouble winning elections in many non-coastal states, often being perceived as too-liberal (regardless if this is true or not),   to have the face of the party be from San Francisco makes no political sense.

Yes James, the word "perceived" was a very good and most appropriate word to use here, alright.

(...absolutely)

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

Ryan GrimVerified account @ryangrim 23h23 hours ago

If Pelosi announced neither she nor the DCCC will take fossil fuel 💰 and discouraged members from taking it, I bet they’d raise several million in small $$ fast.

In fact, somebody could start a crowdpac to find out.

Money would only be released if the pledge is made

<_<

Nancy brings in the bucks, and has the experience and knows the job. If she's divisive, it's because people believe the GOP propaganda. A new person would be vilified 6 months into the job and would make no difference in the long run. It's her job if she wants it, and I'm sure she does......I dont recall past male speakers getting the attacks she does.

3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

hows about  Ted Lieu? :unsure:

Lieu is from CA and I find him to be clueless on many policy issues.

But he is a big anti-Trump tweeter.    I would hope that this makes him objectionable to the majority of Dems,  but something tells me otherwise since so many Dems have TDS.

56 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Nancy brings in the bucks, and has the experience and knows the job. If she's divisive, it's because people believe the GOP propaganda. A new person would be vilified 6 months into the job and would make no difference in the long run. It's her job if she wants it, and I'm sure she does......I dont recall past male speakers getting the attacks she does.

Did you believe the same thing about Hillary?     How did that one work out?

19 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yep, money first!

The Supremes ruled! Citizens United. That's how the political world works, unfortunately...

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

The Supremes ruled! Citizens United. That's how the political world works, unfortunately...

Or, as another Californian politician, Jesse "Big Daddy" Unruh (1922-1987), once famously remarked:

"Money is the mother's milk of politics."

(...and yeah, until another attempt at limiting campaign financing is passed by Congress, such as the bipartisan McCain-Feingold Act of 2002, but which would subsequently be gutted in 2010 by the 5 idiots of the 9 judges who sat/sit their sorry butts on the Supreme Court, THIS unfortunately WILL be the case until then, and especially so)

On 11/14/2018 at 5:50 PM, Hibi said:

Two minds that think alike, Hibi and Trump.

Pelosi has helped the Dems win the most seats back in the House since the 70s. And for this she should be denied the job because the GOP hates her? It's the very fact that she was an effective speaker when she was in charge that they DO  hate her. I dont hear any calls for Schumer to step aside and he LOST seats in the Senate! Am sure most people if polled, can't specify why they dont like her. They just see ads on tv and think she's bad. I always get a good laugh when I see these GOP attack ads on tv.....

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Pelosi has helped the Dems win the most seats back in the House since the 70s. And for this she should be denied the job because the GOP hates her? It's the very fact that she was an effective speaker when she was in charge that they DO  hate her. I dont hear any calls for Schumer to step aside and he LOST seats in the Senate! Am sure most people if polled, can't specify why they dont like her. They just see ads on tv and think she's bad. I always get a good laugh when I see these GOP attack ads on tv.....

So she's to be denied because she's rich?? You dont like her ok. You may have to live with her for awhile...

It is my understanding many GOP House members will be voting for Pelosi.  

To me that is telling.

Now Pelosi has said she would only accept being House Majority Leader if a majority of Dems vote for her.

That shows integrity if she actually follows it.

• Haha 1

Trump wants the gargoyle to get the position. I like the idea of Trump getting what he wants.

53 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It is my understanding many GOP House members will be voting for Pelosi.  

To me that is telling.

Now Pelosi has said she would only accept being House Majority Leader if a majority of Dems vote for her.

That shows integrity if she actually follows it.

There is no question a majority of Dems will vote for her.  The question is if no Republicans vote for her as I think has happened in the past, could she get enough Dem votes to get a majority of votes cast?

To me it seems (will never happen) that the Speaker of the House should have to receive 2/3's of all votes cast.

Who's Really Leading the Democratic Rebellion Against Pelosi?

"...There is discontent with Pelosi’s ideology on the left, and that’s understandable. But ideology is not driving this campaign, and this is no populist rebellion. In fact, its leaders have no discernible ideology at all.

That’s how corporate money rolls in the Democratic Party. It lays low, hides its true colors, and pretends it only wants to “get things done.”

The anti-Pelosi insurgency is not a movement. It’s a cabal, orchestrated by the appropriately hashtagged #FiveWhiteGuys, a group of self-self-interested players with big money behind them...

The rhetorical style of these Democratic “rebels”—vague on the issues, big on cliches and platitudes, the rhetorical equivalent of cotton candy—comes with a pedigree. It is the hallmark of “centrism,” the billionaire-funded political faction that serves its financial backers by selling themselves as “non-ideological,” “technocratic” architects of “bipartisan” consensus who can “break the gridlock” and “solve problems.”

For this crowd, “solving problems” always winds up meaning the same thing: cuts to Social Security and Medicare, and an unwarranted obsession with the federal deficit that always—just accidentally, mind you!—winds up helping corporations and the billionaire class.....

The No Labels crowd is throwing its public influence (negligible) and its ability to muster campaign cash (considerable) behind the anti-Pelosi effort for a reason: they see this as an opportunity to weaken the Democrats’ newfound power in the House. That’s especially urgent for the big-money crowd at a time when nearly half of successful new candidates ran on Medicare for All and more than 100 House Democrats have joined the Expand Social Security Caucus. ......

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/whos-really-leading-the-democratic-rebellion-against-pelosi/

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

The anti-Pelosi insurgency is not a movement. It’s a cabal, orchestrated by the appropriately hashtagged #FiveWhiteGuys, a group of self-self-interested players with big money behind them..

Yea,  that is it.    These white guys were able to convince Marcia Fudge to consider a run for House Majority Speaker because,  well,  she is just an ignorant black gal that does what she is told.

Image result for marcia fudge

• Haha 3