TopBilled

Women in prison

13 posts in this topic

This is sort of a sub-genre, but one I find interesting.

There's a good British picture in this vein.

Joan Collins and two other inmates get out of the slammer in TURN THE KEY SOFTLY.

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 3.44.37 PM.jpg

• Like 1

'Good Time Girl'. British. 1948. Little Jean Kent in the lead; but she's rather stiff in her performance. Its really better said to be another great outing for the remarkably deft Herbert Lom who presides over so many taut post-war British flicks. Diana Dors present as well but its really Lom who is worth watching. Phenomenal.

Anyway all the usual tropes are here: the babes-behind-bars have a cellblock 'leader' who must be bested; (burly and hulking, loyal to Jean once Jean wins her over) and a stern, sadistic wardess who warns new-meat Jean to repent before its too late. Truer words were never more spoken!

Anyway photography was brooding, and the girl's plights justifiably woeful and dolorous. It wasn't a film where there was a 'nice world just outside the walls'. The gloom of the era and morals which produced it give it real weight.

Bottom line: I enjoyed seeing these streetwalking strumpets embroiled in tempestuous tawdry travails receive their consummate and consanguinary comeuppance! Let it be a lesson to us all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

'Good Time Girl'. British. 1948. Little Jean Kent in the lead; but she's rather stiff in her performance. Its really better said to be another great outing for the remarkably deft Herbert Lom who presides over so many taut post-war British flicks. Diana Dors present as well but its really Lom who is worth watching. Phenomenal.

I haven't seen this one...I've heard of it though. Thanks for mentioning it.

screen-shot-2018-11-14-at-1-13-46-pm.jpg

A very sordid noir from Columbia, released in 1955. The cast is quite interesting. But the silliest thing about it is how the women's prison is connected to a men's prison. So of course there's some back-and-forth activity.

'Back and forth activity'. Yeah you can say that again. How does one break into a prison like that?

• Haha 1

I guess what we're really tawkin' about here ain't women behind bars but....Women Behind Noirs!  Noir is found everywhere and in everything... :rolleyes:

Help me Mr. Spade! I feel trapped...as if struggling in the center of a web ...in which sits a Napoleon of Crime...Help me Mister Holmes...

MalteseShaughnessy4.jpg

But seriously folks...eh, I'd say Valerie Perrine is my favorite babe-behind-bars. Remember she played Dustin Hoffman's shiksa girlfriend in 'Lenny'? Really wild. Directed by Bob Fosse I recall.

Why, you can knock me over with the bullet that choked Billy Patterson.

I couldn't be more surprised to see the legendary Harry Alan Towers associating himself with a film directed by Jesus Franco. :o

• Haha 1