Sign in to follow this  
Robstaff

Movie ID help? Guy dresses up for a special occasion thinking he should dress up like certain snobbish others, but they ridicule & shame him for thinking he’s on their same level???

16 posts in this topic

The setting, 17 or 1800s, NOT a big city, more of a remote country house, horse & stable type place!! Picture life as usual, but then a special holiday or something comes along. 2 or 3 people (guys/gals) get dressed up nice & are seated at a dinner table in this house. The ‘lesser’ step brother or stable guy (not there yet) thinks that since it’s a special occasion he should dress up too & celebrate with them, but when he goes in to join them one of the guys ridicules the hell out of him for dressing up like that & thinking he belongs on their level. At first the guy tries to stick up for himself, asking why he’s not as good as they are, but he is literally run out of there. That scene is PAINFUL (infuriating) to watch! I didn't watch the entire movie, just caught that one rotten scene, but I thought I'd revisit this, hoping something positive comes to that poor guy! THANKS for any help!!

Try Tales of Manhattan (1942)...

No cigar on this one, slayton! Thanks for the effort. They’re younger guys & gals maybe in their 20s, 2 girls, 2 guys (I think) then this outcast guy. The house isn’t in the city. It’s a country house w/ a horse barn & stuff, & the ridiculed outcast guy is like a stable type guy or a looked down upon step brother. They’re not dressed up in tuxedos, just nice suits with vests & stuff.

10 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Try Tales of Manhattan (1942), an anthology movie.  One segment features E. G. Robinson:

Thanks VERY MUCH, slaytonf, but no cigar on this one, not Robinson for sure. I’d remember that!

2 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Could it be "Little Men" with Jack Oakie? (Sequel to "Little Women")?

THANKS, Sgt, but that’s not it. Great movie suggestion though! I just went through that movie on youtube, & it just doesn’t fit. I am thinking it could have been a more modern day film with an OLD DAYS SETTING. These guys I described were in their like late 20s or so, still single but definitely not kids.

It's been many years since I've seen it, but Son of Fury with Tyrone Power might fit. Power is supposedly illegitimate and is brought to his uncle's estate as a servant/stable boy. The family treats him with scorn, as though he has no standing in the family. I don't specifically remember a scene like the one you described, but it would fit the general context. His conflicts with the family lead him to escape to the South Seas for much of the movie. The big reveal is that his parents were indeed married and that he's the rightful heir to the whole estate. Anthony Adverse is another example of a rightful heir who's treated as a nobody by the family, though I don't remember the scene you describe in that movie either.

• Like 1

Dougie, I thought of both those films and Wuthering Heights and a far stretch Great Expectations, but I don't remember that scene the OP described in any of those films. I love the film Fury and Anthony Adverse is a favorite, so glad that you mentioned both films.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 8:01 AM, DougieB said:

It's been many years since I've seen it, but Son of Fury with Tyrone Power might fit. Power is supposedly illegitimate and is brought to his uncle's estate as a servant/stable boy. The family treats him with scorn, as though he has no standing in the family. I don't specifically remember a scene like the one you described, but it would fit the general context. His conflicts with the family lead him to escape to the South Seas for much of the movie. The big reveal is that his parents were indeed married and that he's the rightful heir to the whole estate. Anthony Adverse is another example of a rightful heir who's treated as a nobody by the family, though I don't remember the scene you describe in that movie either.

Thanks for those suggestions! You obviously GOT the context! The basic premise was exactly the situation you described with Son of Fury, someone considered illegitimate & scorned by the family. I’ll look into those films.

• Like 1

I’m thinking it could be a newer version of Wuthering Heights!!! I just watched a trailer of a newer version & it fits perfectly. I didn’t see that scene, but it really fits.

Definitely not the 1939 version of W H! I watched that through & no cigar. Great movie though.

6 minutes ago, Robstaff said:

Thanks for those suggestions! You obviously GOT the context! The basic premise was exactly the situation you described with Son of Fury, someone considered illegitimate & scorned by the family. I’ll look into those films.

You got me wondering, so I watched the good print of Son of Fury on YouTube. There's no dinner scene like you describe, though there's a scene where he dresses up for a masquerade ball his uncle hosts and is exposed by the uncle. That trail is probably cold, but Fox remade it in 1963 as Treasure of the Golden Condor with Cornel Wilde. In that one he goes to Central America for gold instead of to the South Seas for pearls. I've seen that one in the dim past but, again, I can't remember if there's a dinner scene. It's been on Fox Movie Channel a number of times, but it's not currently listed in their On Demand menu. The funny thing is that the dinner scene rings a bell with me, but I can't place it. Hope you find it or that someone else will remember.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DougieB said:

The funny thing is that the dinner scene rings a bell with me, but I can't place it. Hope you find it or that someone else will remember.

You’ve got me interested in seeing Son of Fury!

Anyway I’m almost certain now that I’ve had time to mill it over that the film with that rude dinner scene was a newer color film.

This may be a little off the wall, but I think there may be some kind of confrontation scene in The Hound of the Baskervilles when the distant heir comes to Baskerville Hall. There was a color Hammer version in the late 50's/early 60's and also a color PBS version in the early 2000's. That came to my mind before you said it may be a newer color film, so I thought I'd better mention it. It would also fit the time frame and the country setting, but I don't think he was necessarily of a lower social status.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robstaff said:

You’ve got me interested in seeing Son of Fury!

Anyway I’m almost certain now that I’ve had time to mill it over that the film with that rude dinner scene was a newer color film.

Son of Fury, The Story of Benjamin Blake is a wonderful film. Tyrone and Gene Tierney are young and so gorgeous in it. Sanders is always great as a villian and so interesting to see Francis Farmer. Very enjoyable film and Gene looks great doing a hula dance ( she's about 19 in the film) Love this film, definitely recommend it.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 3:57 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Son of Fury, The Story of Benjamin Blake is a wonderful film. Tyrone and Gene Tierney are young and so gorgeous in it. Sanders is always great as a villian and so interesting to see Francis Farmer. Very enjoyable film and Gene looks great doing a hula dance ( she's about 19 in the film) Love this film, definitely recommend it.

lavenderblue19, thanks for the thumbs up on that!! It’s cool you can actually see a lot of these old films on youtube! Nice to see em on TCM, but if ya just can’t wait, hehe...