Sign in to follow this  
allthumbs

TCM Schedule Changes/Cancellations

18 posts in this topic

this time it's The River's Edge (1986) which was originally scheduled for viewing on Underground, Friday Nov 23. 2018 (really the early morning of Sat, Nov 24). what really bugs me is no effort is made to iron out the differences between TCM and the owner of the movie. this has happened before with Play It as It Lays, Heavenly Creatures and Five Fingers. (this says nothing about no notice either.) these do not show up later in the schedule. they're just forgotten about.

if there are any future changes, please post them here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like River's Edge would have been a TCM premiere. I saw it when I was in college. Good acting, but relentlessly nihilistic and downbeat, almost predicting the coming of all those nihilist grunge bands a few years later. It was a career-salvaging year for Dennis Hopper, who'd been persona non grata in Hollywood for a long time because of his addictions and unreliable on-set behavior, but in 1986 alone, he was in this movie, Hoosiers and Blue Velvet, and that trifecta insured he never lacked for work again for the rest of his life.

If you really want to see it, I see it's free this month if you have an Amazon Prime membership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, allthumbs said:

what really bugs me is no effort is made to iron out the differences between TCM and the owner of the movie.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know that TCM hasn't  made an effort? They could have made a big effort but just couldn't come up with a deal. What always puzzles me is why they'd even schedule a title before they have a signed contract for it. It happens too many times to just be an oversight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course we here on the message boards like those schedules being posted three months in advance. It gives us something to talk about and anticipate. But almost invariably, something promised that gets a little buzz here ends up getting removed from the schedule. Honestly, I'm not sure I would prefer if TCM waited until they absolutely had a schedule set in stone, because that might not be until a few weeks before airtime.

There seems to be something of a happy medium currently in placed. A lot of recent monthly schedules have left blanks spaces for primetime viewings or viewing for an entire day or several days. Presumably, these are days for which the schedule hasn't been locked down, and TCM is holding back rather than making promises that turn out to be untrue. If this means we can still see the schedule about three months in advance, even if it has a few gaps, I'm for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My main concern here is the undocumented replacement, and also undocumented later airing of certain features.  I have excellent info coming in on what they actually air, and I can confirm the accuracy of the web schedule for movie-length features has been getting sloppy since last month.  The shorts are normally all over the place, but since last month the features have had some odd things going on too.  Is this the new norm?

Thankfully the on-screen guides tend to get it right, as posters here have posted on-screen changes which come true.

That all seems a bit like the tail wagging the dog though.  How is it that the website schedule sometimes isn't updated in the short term while the on-screen guides are?  How is that even possible?  Who is doing the actual scheduling here, TCM or the content providers involved?

Inquiring minds and all.  ;)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the amazing thing about River's Edge (1986) is that it's based on a true story. it's a loose re-creation of the murder of Marcy Conrad in Milpitas, Cal in 1981. the disaffected youths are then, and now, still with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three Terry-Thomas comedies were yanked from this morning's lineup, replaced with three movies featuring Laurence Olivier.

Originally scheduled to air on the morning of the 26th: HOW TO MURDER YOUR WIFE; IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD; and SCHOOL FOR SCOUNDRELS.

Substituted with: THE DIVORCE OF LADY X; THAT HAMILTON WOMAN and THE PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL.

I checked and the T-T films have not been moved to December or January. It's unlikely they will air during Oscar month, so maybe they'll be on the March schedule. A bit of a disappointment since I so love his brand of comedy and was looking forward to seeing SCHOOL FOR SCOUNDRELS again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schedules Direct (a third party schedule provider I additionally subscribe to) mirrors the Tribune/Gracenote on-screen schedules most get through their cable or satellite provider.  They had the schedule change for "That Hamilton Woman" on Mon morning (Nov 26th) posted by Wed Nov 21st.

This same change first appeared Nov 1 on the TCM monthly online website schedule.

That order of events at least seems to follow the simple (though never antiquated) premise of cause and effect, compared to that described in my previous entry in this thread..

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Schedules Direct (a third party schedule provider I additionally subscribe to) mirrors the Tribune/Gracenote on-screen schedules most get through their cable or satellite provider.  They had the schedule change for "That Hamilton Woman" on Mon morning (Nov 26th) posted by Wed Nov 21st.

This same change first appeared Nov 1 on the TCM monthly online website schedule.

That order of events at least seems to follow the simple (though never antiquated) premise of cause and effect, compared to that described in my previous entry in this thread..

Are these last minute switches affecting the info on your database?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Are these last minute switches affecting the info on your database?

I don't attempt to provide the latest greatest info.  More accurately my project lends itself to documenting past months and working with that.  As a side benefit, I have found that this provides the necessary framework to locate premieres that would otherwise slip through the cracks.

These last-minute switches don't affect past months for me, as I have much better data coming in for that (though after the fact).  The future/current month part of it is still based on the TCM monthly website pages though. 

Once a month I am resolving all the currently available monthly webpages (3-5 months worth) on the TCM site (for given date on my reports) versus everything I have of TCM's broadcast history.  Then following that, others come in (cmovieviewer, mr66666, etc) and look for differences between my monthly listings and the (then) current listings - i.e. late-breaking changes.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I don't attempt to provide the latest greatest info.  More accurately my project lends itself to documenting past months and working with that.  As a side benefit, I have found that this provides the necessary framework to locate premieres that would otherwise slip through the cracks.

These last-minute switches don't affect past months for me, as I have much better data coming in for that (though after the fact).  The future/current month part of it is still based on the TCM monthly website pages though. 

Once a month I am resolving all the currently available monthly webpages (3-5 months worth) on the TCM site (for given date on my reports) versus everything I have of TCM's broadcast history.  Then following that, others come in (cmovieviewer, mr66666, etc) and look for differences between my monthly listings and the (then) current listings - i.e. late-breaking changes.

Thanks for explaining that. I feel like I have just been educated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, musicalnovelty said:

I see that KING OF JAZZ (1930) has been dropped from the Dec. 11 schedule. VERY disappointed.

What happened, TCM?

It's a Universal picture, so maybe that had something to do with it..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, musicalnovelty said:

I see that KING OF JAZZ (1930) has been dropped from the Dec. 11 schedule. VERY disappointed.

What happened, TCM?

 

Apparently there was a problem that has been cleared up. The movie is being re-scheduled. Thanks to all those who made it happen!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, musicalnovelty said:

Apparently there was a problem that has been cleared up. The movie is being re-scheduled. Thanks to all those who made it happen!

Oh good...glad to hear it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might there be something else going on?  For about the last ten years, Stagecoach (with John Wayne) has been occasionally scheduled, but it never makes to the screen.  The latest no-show is The Holly and the Ivy with Ralph Richardson.  (Other examples too numerous to mention).

I'm in Canada, by the way, so I'm wondering if the Yanks also have to put up with this series of constantly dashed expectations.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both the movies you mentioned have aired on TCM in the US. Stagecoach, in fact, over here is probably considered overplayed! There have been Canadians who have complained on these boards before. I don't pretend to understand international copyright law, but I have definitely learned from years of being on these message boards that there are certain movies that can be broadcast on US television but not on Canadian television (I assume the reverse is also true? Although I'm not aware of an example).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, quixotic said:

Might there be something else going on?  For about the last ten years, Stagecoach (with John Wayne) has been occasionally scheduled, but it never makes to the screen.  The latest no-show is The Holly and the Ivy with Ralph Richardson.  (Other examples too numerous to mention).

I'm in Canada, by the way, so I'm wondering if the Yanks also have to put up with this series of constantly dashed expectations.    

Yes, I see that Canadians watched MUSIC FOR MILLIONS and FATHER OF THE BRIDE tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us