Sign in to follow this  
TOASTnJAM

Old jungle action movie

19 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a movie I saw as a kid on TV. It was set in the jungle I believe in Southeast Asia (Malaya, Burma?). I'm sure it was made in the 30s. Various people are trapped in a plantation type house surrounded by jungle and being besiege by local natives. Saw it in the early 60s, that's all I got. 

Thanks.

Your description reminds me of CONGO MAISIE, which was a reworking of RED DUST.

Could be my favorite pre-code, "Kongo" with Walter Huston; (aka, "West of Zanzibar" silent version with Lon Chaney)

It could be White Woman (Carole Lombard, Charles Laughton) or its remake Island of Lost Men (Anna May Wong, J. Carol Naish). At the end of both films the "king of the jungle" (either Laughton or Naish) is trapped in a plantation house surrounded by Amazon natives over whom they had previously ruled. There is only one bullet left in a gun, which they want to use for suicide rather than face native torture but the bullet is used instead by some else with them for the same purpose, leaving "the king" alone to face the natives.

What about Richard Attenboodle in 'Guns at Batasi'?

Rod Taylor and Yvette Mimeograph in 'Dark of the Sun'?

Thanks again but I check out those movies and it not White Woman, Island Of Lost Men, Guns at Batasi or Dark of the Sun. There was no military involved, just civilians besiege in a jungle plantation type home. Saw it on TV in the early 60's

Could it have been Laurel and Hardy in Bonnie Scotland or Beau Hunks? Both films end with a stand off between the Brits in the Fort and the natives who are attacking.

v1.bjsyNDU4MDY7ajsxNzkxMjsxMjAwOzIwNDg7M

• Like 1

Sorry none of those.

Wasn't a comedy and no military involved. From what I can recall the majority of the movie was just the civilians being besiege in a jungle plantation type home. IIRC it had the usual trope of the unseen natives constantly drumming when not attacking. 

1 hour ago, TOASTnJAM said:

Sorry none of those.

Wasn't a comedy and no military involved. From what I can recall the majority of the movie was just the civilians being besiege in a jungle plantation type home. IIRC it had the usual trope of the unseen natives constantly drumming when not attacking. 

Your mention of natives' drumming throws me off. Did Burmese or Malaysian natives drum? Are you sure it wasn't Africa?

3 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Your mention of natives' drumming throws me off. Did Burmese or Malaysian natives drum? Are you sure it wasn't Africa?

In old movies, the natives always drummed, no matter their geographic location. There wasn't exactly a lot of striving for anthropological accuracy going on.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

In old movies, the natives always drummed, no matter their geographic location. There wasn't exactly a lot of striving for anthropological accuracy going on.

There was an interesting comment in a Tarzan movie once. Tarzan was questioning two natives from different tribes. He didn't trust them. He asked each of them to do their tribe's dance, which would convince Tarzan that they were from the tribes that they claimed to be from. I thought that was pretty enlightened, on the part of Tarzan and the writers.

• Like 1