Sign in to follow this  
cigarjoe

Classic Era Film actresses who did nudity

117 posts in this topic

OK, lets run with this, Consider the Classic Era (late 1920s – 1960s), and the actresses being active in their careers during that time frame but not limited to that time frame. Obviously some actresses who were active Pre Code would have the possibility of doing some nudity, and some actresses that started their careers during the later part of the Classic Era time frame would of course have made films and do some nudity after the demise of the code. :D

I researched a few and can think of a few from the sixties off the top of my head

The List

Clara Bow - Wings (1927)

Dolores Del Rio - Bird Of Paradise (1932)

Claudette Colbert - Sign Of The Cross (1932)

Myrna Loy - The Barbarian (1933)

Hedy Lamarr - Ecstasy (1933)

Lucille Ball - Roman Scandals (1933)

Maureen O'Sullivan - Tarzan and His Mate (1934)

Toni Pellerin - Suez (1938)

From the other end of the Era...

Marilyn Monroe - Something's Got to Give (1962)

Carroll Baker - Paranoia (1969) and others (you could throw in Something Wild (1961) as her earliest)

Jayne Mansfield - Promises Promises (1963)

Mamie Van Doren - 3 Nuts in Search of a Bolt (1964)

Stella Stevens - The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970)

Jane Fonda - Barbarella (1968)

Ann-Margret - The Tiger and the Pussycat (1967) 

Just the thought of Lucille Ball nude makes my head feel Desi.

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, TomJH said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I'm unsure if you mean "Desi" with desire or "Desi" with disgust, but I always found pre-TV Lucy extremely hot.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

No kidding, Lucille Ball? Is this a movie TCM has ever shown?

Yep, I'm pretty sure I've seen this Eddie Cantor starring film on TCM a few years back, sewhite.

And where Eddie performs his most famous song. It's about his love of Japanese food titled, "If you knew Sushi like I knew Sushi".

(...uh-huh Lawrence...and you thought TOM'S pun was bad, did YA?!) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

There's gotta be some brunettes from the sixties I just can't think of any at the moment and it's getting late and I had to shovel about 6-7 inches of heavy wet snow today, going to bed. 

Have fun

Brigitte Bardot was naked in And God Created Women 

Harriet Andersson was naked in Summer With Monika 

It's easier to think of Euro ones because they didn't really have a "code." 

I always thought Lucille Ball was gorgeous when she was younger--Desi was no slouch himself in the looks department.  Though I know this thread is about actresses.

I'm pretty sure that some of the ladies in silhouette (while they're changing clothes) in Gold Diggers of 1933 are nude.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Brigitte Bardot was naked in And God Created Women 

Harriet Andersson was naked in Summer With Monika 

It's easier to think of Euro ones because they didn't really have a "code." 

I was just trying to limit it to Classic Era Active, Hollywood Actresses, the Euro ones like you say would be exceptions.

Not to derail Joe's thread, but I've always found it "shocking" that when male dogs jump or stand up on their hind paws in movies from this period, the filmmakers are allowed to show their genitals on screen. The code seemed to overlook that.

Animals do not wear clothes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I always thought Lucille Ball was gorgeous when she was younger--Desi was no slouch himself in the looks department.  Though I know this thread is about actresses.

I'm pretty sure that some of the ladies in silhouette (while they're changing clothes) in Gold Diggers of 1933 are nude.

There is quite a bit of the above in a lot of precodes (a lot of Busby Berkeley's musicals were quite suggestive with transparent costumes, etc.,) but they are for the most part uncredited extras.

Getting back to brunettes and others.

Natalie Wood - Splendor in the Grass (1961)

Elizabeth Taylor - ( Cleopatra (1963) or possibly in Reflections In A Golden Eye (1967)

Julie Newmar - Mackenna's Gold (1969)

Julie Andrews - S.O.B. (1981)

Tina Louise - Mean Dog Blues (1978)

Elizabeth Montgomery - The Legend of Lizzie Borden (1975)

Susan Strasberg - The Trip (1967)

Faye Dunaway - Doc (1971)

Janet Leigh - Psycho (1960)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Elizabeth Montgomery - The Legend of Lizzie Borden (1975)

Great telefilm. This is an excellent example of how nudity is not added for gratuitous purposes but because it's essential to the plot. She failed to be convicted because she took off her dress and burned it, and was able to easily wash the rest of the blood off in a bath. Plus she was said to have had an incestuous relationship with her father, so the nudity reinforces the horror of what happened.

screen-shot-2018-01-05-at-12-49-55-pm.png

9 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

giphy.gif

I see that Stallone is affected by the thought too.

I believe Angie  Dickinson was nude in Point Blank (1967). Of course, she did more nude scenes in the 70s and 80s.

35 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

I believe Angie  Dickinson was nude in Point Blank (1967). Of course, she did more nude scenes in the 70s and 80s.

Yes she did.

25 minutes ago, Ray Faiola said:

Jane Wyatt in LOST HORIZON

Didn't know that, thanks.

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I agree about the young LUCILLE BALL, and will add that it seemed most of the silhouettes in 42nd STREET might have been nude too.

And....NO mention of ANN-MARGARET's brief but breath-taking nude scene in CARNAL KNOWLEDGE? ('71)  :o  :P

Sepiatone

9 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I agree about the young LUCILLE BALL, and will add that it seemed most of the silhouettes in 42nd STREET might have been nude too.

And....NO mention of ANN-MARGARET's brief but breath-taking nude scene in CARNAL KNOWLEDGE? ('71)  :o  :P

Sepiatone

Sorry couldn't resist 🙄

She's at the bottom of the OP

Every time TCM airs Flying Down to Rio, I wonder if some of those female wing-walkers in that final scene are topless.

2 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Sorry couldn't resist 🙄

She's at the bottom of the OP

Yeah, but in a different movie.

Sepiatone

3 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Every time TCM airs Flying Down to Rio, I wonder if some of those female wing-walkers in that final scene are topless.

Just watched that recently also. Pretty transparent agree.

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Great telefilm. This is an excellent example of how nudity is not added for gratuitous purposes but because it's essential to the plot. She failed to be convicted because she took off her dress and burned it, and was able to easily wash the rest of the blood off in a bath. Plus she was said to have had an incestuous relationship with her father, so the nudity reinforces the horror of what happened.

screen-shot-2018-01-05-at-12-49-55-pm.png

There's a new version of the Lizzie Borden story about to come out with Kristen Stewart and Chloe Sevigny. I read an interview with Stewart in Entertainment Weekly, where she expressed happiness about the film's "non-exploitative" nudity. While there are lesbian sex scenes in the movie, the only nudity apparently will be in the murder (or post-murder) scenes. I wonder if Stewart was even aware of this version.

1 minute ago, Sepiatone said:

Yeah, but in a different movie.

Sepiatone

I was just putting their first appearance in the buff. Same with Carroll Baker she was nude in quite a few Italian films.

Another is ....  in a pretty transparent, old West equivalent of the wet T-shirt. :D

Brooke Bundy - Firecreek (1968)