Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Men drinking coffee or tea in the movies-- is it masculine?

139 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, papyrusbeetle said:

JAMES DEAN making tea for Liz Taylor in GIANT---

is that masculine enough for you?

(anyone want to post a foto of this, please? I don't know how to.)

Here:

screen-shot-2018-11-19-at-12-33-15-pm.jp

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, papyrusbeetle said:

JAMES DEAN making tea for Liz Taylor in GIANT---

is that masculine enough for you?

(anyone want to post a foto of this, please? I don't know how to.)

722252f544994ab85ebf5ec943b12a1e.jpg

I didn't remember this scene in the movie. Thanks for bringing it up.

• Thanks 1

What would you do if you wake up with a hangover and you're out of coffee?

tumblr_namyv8m4lt1qzgwh4o3_r1_250.gif

Paul Newman in Harper

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

James Dean ...masculine? :blink:

If by masculine you mean every woman in America under the age of 50 wanted to sleep with him, then yeah, he was probably masculine. But I'm assuming you are probably not a woman under the age of 50, so you apparently have a different opinion.

Gershwin Fan, the way we knew Dougie still had the soul of Cooper, even though he lacked most of his memories, was that he still loved coffee!

Dean:

"every woman in America under the age of 50 wanted to sleep with him"

I'd guess it was more like they wanted to rock him in their arms like the sobbing infant he was. Cripes, seems like you just have to glance at him and he bursts into tears. That's what I mean by 'not masculine'. His good looks are quite a separate matter. :lol:

• Thanks 1

Well, yeah, his looks were what I was mainly referring to. All the weepy characters he played, I think was his effort to show he was a great Ac-tor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Well, yeah, his looks were what I was mainly referring to. All the weepy characters he played, I think was his effort to show he was a great Ac-tor

In the photo I posted, which Arsan also posted, he has no muscles. His arms are rather scrawny looking. In fact his arms are so thin you wonder how he even has the strength to hold a pot of tea.

His attractiveness seems to be based on his hair, eyes and attitude. More than his body.

I always think of I REMEMBER MAMA, in which drinking coffee seems to appeal to everyone, even the children. They have those dainty teacup/saucers already assembled on a shelf in the kitchen pantry, ready for the next pot of coffee to brew. One would think Papa (Phillip Dorn) would look silly with these coffee cups, yet when he sits down with pipe dangling from the corner of his mouth and lifts the tiny cup to his lips, he doesn't look at all unmasculine.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I always think of I REMEMBER MAMA, in which drinking coffee seems to appeal to everyone, even the children. They have those dainty teacup/saucers already assembled on a shelf in the kitchen pantry, ready for the next pot of coffee to brew. One would think Papa (Phillip Dorn) would look silly with these coffee cups, yet when he sits down with pipe dangling from the corner of his mouth and lifts the tiny cup to his lips, he doesn't look at all unmasculine.

Nice example. Thanks!

I love that flick. Irene Dunne, Babs Bel Geddes and Oskar Homulka; taken from the novel 'Mama's Bank Account' by Kathyrn Forbes. Homespun Americana.

5 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I've always wondered why it is Scandinavians have become some of the biggest consumers of coffee in the world.

(...anybody know?) 

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

MRS. OLSEN!

LOL

So, we have Virginia Christine to thank for this, eh Hibi?!

;)

Could be. Mountain Grown! (The Richest Kind).

• Like 2

Aside from the silliness of the whole idea of masculinity having anything to do with what

beverage one drinks, one's first drink of coffee used to be a big deal. I remember having

a friend whose family made a big thing out of his sister having her first cup of coffee. I

guess she was 16 or 18. They went through a whole celebration of the event. You'd think

she had just graduated from college with honors. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Aside from the silliness of the whole idea of masculinity having anything to do with what

beverage one drinks, one's first drink of coffee used to be a big deal. I remember having

a friend whose family made a big thing out of his sister having her first cup of coffee. I

guess she was 16 or 18. They went through a whole celebration of the event. You'd think

she had just graduated from college with honors. 

Even that seems silly now. Teenage kids drink coffee with their parents these days more than before. It's no longer considered a rite of passage. It's just something people do like it's no big deal.

I didnt really start drinking coffee until after college. At one time I was drinking like 9 cups a day. Now I drink 3 or 4. Less in the hot months.

9 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I didnt really start drinking coffee until after college. At one time I was drinking like 9 cups a day. Now I drink 3 or 4. Less in the hot months.

I started at age 28. I never drank it in college. I mostly drank water, juice or soda in college.

But when I was in my late 20s, I took on a second job that was completely different from the type of work I normally did. It was a much more frenetic sort of environment where people were under a lot more pressure...and needed their caffeine fix. Since I was the newbie in that office, I was given the task of making the coffee each morning. Of course I had to sample it to make sure it turned out okay...and voila, I was hooked. I only worked at that place for a year, but took a lifelong coffee drinking habit with me when I left. I made up for lost time and drank a lot of coffee in my 30s!

Okay, we've posted every great "Coffee" clip from movies except the obvious:

On 11/18/2018 at 6:56 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

In 'Gunga Din', his mates are outraged when Douglas Fairbanks Jr. announces his plans to de-mob and run a tea shop. But it has no connotation of effeminacy, just one of conventionality

And as one who just ran across the movie for the first time this week, count one more viewer disoriented to find out that "Gunga Din" was taken from a Ben Hecht/Charles MacArthur screen story and turned into a Cary Grant comedy--  😯

In fact, Hecht's whole subplot, of Grant and Victor McLaglen pulling pranks to keep Fairbanks from marrying his conventional girlfriend and retiring from the boys'-night-out, basically reduces the entire epic to one big remake of "The Front Page", relocated to the Khyber Pass...  

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

I started at age 28. I never drank it in college. I mostly drank water, juice or soda in college.

But when I was in my late 20s, I took on a second job that was completely different from the type of work I normally did. It was a much more frenetic sort of environment where people were under a lot more pressure...and needed their caffeine fix. 

I was raised on creamy hot cocoa during the holidays, so I never saw the appeal of bitter hot brown water--Only later did I find out that Coca-cola had caffeine, and with my sensitivity, one complete bottle of Coke Zero might have me "drunk" and following caffeinated impulses into the wee hours of the night.

Later, I started getting bonus-coupon incentives to try the local Starbucks (yeah, I know, our hippie anti-Walmart chain-paranoid college-town has bumper stickers saying "Make Your OWN Damn Coffee")--And one time when I was on vacation, and trapped in the early morning with no place to get breakfast except a Starbucks, I tried one of their 90% Mocha/Caramel, 10% Coffee frappucinos, drowned in whipped cream.  Okay, THAT, I'll drink--I'll now drink hot mocha in the fall/winter, preferring a little bit of coffee as a mere flavoring to chocolate than vice versa, and knowingly enjoy the "benefits" of caffeine if I have a night ahead of me.

• Like 2