Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Men drinking coffee or tea in the movies-- is it masculine?

139 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Even that seems silly now. Teenage kids drink coffee with their parents these days more than before. It's no longer considered a rite of passage. It's just something people do like it's no big deal.

Even when it occurred it seemed a bit silly to me, but I was only about ten or eleven years old

so I didn't think that much about it. Yes, it's another minor rite of passage that has gone the

way of others. I was never much of a coffee drinker and now don't drink it at all. I have to

confess I drink tea during the cold months with lots of sugar, which is definitely not a good

thing. 

Just ran across it!? :o

Oh man what I wouldnt give to re-experience watching 'Gunga Din' for the first time...

p.s. I hate to ask but since you didn't mention it, you have heard it is a famous poem, a ballad, by Rudyard Kipling?

Aside from the silliness of the whole idea of masculinity having anything to do with what

beverage one drinks,

But in the Islamic nation of Turkey, drinking coffee is tightly intertwined with masculinity (and femininity in the making of it).

Guess what else? Surprisingly enough, the ancient game of backgammon. Every cafe table has a backgammon board.

24 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Just ran across it!? :o

Oh man what I wouldnt give to re-experience watching 'Gunga Din' for the first time...

p.s. I hate to ask but since you didn't mention it, you have heard it is a famous poem, a ballad, by Rudyard Kipling?

That much I knew--I knew it wasn't a book, like "Kim" or "Man Who Would Be King", but I hadn't read the poem either, and wasn't sure whether that had a plot.  Up to that point in my upbringing, I only knew Mr. Magoo as Gunga Din.

And for some reason, I'd been looking for the movie under the misapprehension that it was one of Michael Curtiz's action epics for Warner, not George Stevens for RKO (who'd gotten his start working with Laurel & Hardy, as we can see from the sped-up punch-out scenes)--Y'know, 'cause everything ELSE from the Great '39 was.  So, there was that bit of first-view disorientation, too.

Any chance I have to mention Fred Astaire with a topic discussion I seize, however far fetched!

"Coffee Time" from YOLANDA AND THE THIEF, with the lovely Lucille Bremer. Perhaps the warped-looking scenery and the odd costumes on the chorus of dancers is the result of the wardrobe and set decoration departments consuming too much caffeine? 😄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

I've always wondered why it is Scandinavians have become some of the biggest consumers of coffee in the world.

(...anybody know?) 

Because it's cold? (either over there or all those places like Minnesota or Wisconsin that they seemed to move to)

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Teenage kids drink coffee with their parents these days more than before. It's no longer considered a rite of passage. It's just something people do like it's no big deal.

Substitute teaching is one of the several part-time jobs I juggle, and I see kids as young as 14 bringing frappacinos and lattes and so forth with them into first period that they've picked up at Starbucks on their way to school. I don't know how many or if any of them drink straight coffee, but if you dump a lot of sugar and flavors into it ...

I had my first cup of coffee when I was a freshman in college. It just seemed too mature a drink to me when I was growing up. I quickly became a three or four or five cups a day guy. These days, I just have one a day, maybe two a handful of times a year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Even that seems silly now. Teenage kids drink coffee with their parents these days more than before. It's no longer considered a rite of passage. It's just something people do like it's no big deal.

Yeah, I'm a younger person and I started drinking coffee as a teenager with my grandmother. It was her favorite drink. :lol: 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Substitute teaching is one of the several part-time jobs I juggle, and I see kids as young as 14 bringing frappacinos and lattes and so forth with them into first period that they've picked up at Starbucks on their way to school. I don't know how many or if any of them drink straight coffee, but if you dump a lot of sugar and flavors into it ...

My apartment is situated between a middle school and a high school, with a Dutch Bros. on the corner of my street. You would be surprised (or maybe not) how many students from both schools flood that little coffee box every morning and are carrying tall drinks with whipped cream on top of them to school .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sagebrush said:

My apartment is situated between a middle school and a high school, with a Dutch Bros. on the corner of my street. You would be surprised (or maybe not) how many students from both schools flood that little coffee box every morning and are carrying tall drinks with whipped cream on top of them to school .

Yeah-- having coffee at a young age is no longer a big deal. It's how you have coffee with your friends-- that's what defines your coolness.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

But in the Islamic nation of Turkey, drinking coffee is tightly intertwined with masculinity (and femininity in the making of it).

Guess what else? Surprisingly enough, the ancient game of backgammon. Every cafe table has a backgammon board.

One more reason, though a minor one, not to live in Turkey.

• Haha 1

I'm one of those people who drinks his coffee black, no sugar.  And I make a cup in my Mr. Coffee at home to bring into work.  I'm a cheapskate.

(Started in high school and have been drinking two or three cups a day ever since.)

• Like 1

In American submarines, coffee is served in the wardroom or mess. Coffee, that is--and served usually right before our brave fighting men blast an enemy (not saying what enemy mind you, specifically refraining from mentioning 'J***p' or 'K***t') submarine outta' da' water! Now, I don't know what beverages such foreigners served in their subs but it obviously didn't work for them.

And while I'm as much of an ardent anglophile as the next man, I also can't imagine serving aboard a British sub and "sipping tea" (inc. honey, lemon, milk, sugar and perhaps a buttered scone and maybe some lemon curds) right before manning a firing console, sighting a Hun or Nip vessel, sending a live fish right up their spout, and dispatching every man jack o' em, down to Davy Jones' locker! Nope! I just can't see it!

Run+Silent+Run+Deep+1.jpg

(Run Soylent, Run Deep!)

• Haha 2

I did a keyword search for "coffee" on the IMDb and 1681 titles came up.

screen-shot-2018-11-23-at-11-08-37-am.jp

Including AVATAR (2009); ELF (2003); DANCES WITH WOLVES (1990); CHILDREN OF THE CORN (1984); 9 TO 5 (1980); THE STEPFORD WIVES (1975); and EAST OF EDEN (1955).

Meanwhile a search for "tea" yielded 931 titles. 

screen-shot-2018-11-23-at-11-13-20-am.jp

Including THE WOLF OF WALL STREET (2013); LOVE ACTUALLY (2003); DJANGO UNCHAINED (2012); MIDNIGHT EXPRESS (1978); THE GREAT GATSBY (1974); and ALICE IN WONDERLAND (1951).

7 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I did a keyword search for "coffee" on the IMDb and 1681 titles came up.

screen-shot-2018-11-23-at-11-08-37-am.jp

Including AVATAR (2009); ELF (2003); DANCES WITH WOLVES (1990); CHILDREN OF THE CORN (1984); 9 TO 5 (1980); THE STEPFORD WIVES (1975); and EAST OF EDEN (1955).

Meanwhile a search for "tea" yielded 931 titles. 

screen-shot-2018-11-23-at-11-13-20-am.jp

Including THE WOLF OF WALL STREET (2013); LOVE ACTUALLY (2003); DJANGO UNCHAINED (2012); MIDNIGHT EXPRESS (1978); THE GREAT GATSBY (1974); and ALICE IN WONDERLAND (1951).

Yeah, TB?!

Well, I just typed "Java" in MY search engine and got THIS...

;)

• Haha 1

I always thought of coffee being quite masculine as long as it was black. That seems to be the macho way to drink it. At least that's how my dad had it. I never touch the stuff.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

I always thought of coffee being quite masculine as long as it was black. That seems to be the macho way to drink it. At least that's how my dad had it. I never touch the stuff.

Yep, Gerald!

OR, as I've often heard said:

"I like my coffee like I like the man that GGGGerald uses as his avatar!"

(...well, it goes somethin' like that anyway)

;)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yep, Gerald!

OR, as I've often heard said:

"I like my coffee like I the men that GGGGerald uses as his avatar!"

(...well, it goes somethin' like that anyway)

Oh, you mean:

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Oh, you mean:

Oh yeah, RIGHT! Now THAT'S how I've heard that old line.

(...thanks Eric...seems my memory lately is gettin' a little worse for the wear at my age, ya know) ;)

This thread has kind of made me scratch my head, hence the lack of reply.

I think anyone who needs to carry a "sippy cup" everywhere they go looks a bit strange, possibly infantile.  Sip sip sip.  It is a modern phenomenon.  Sip sip sip.  Be it coffee, tea, bottled water, etc.  Sip sip sip.  But probably not really tea so much since this is the US.  Sip sip sip.

On 11/27/2018 at 7:19 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

I think anyone who needs to carry a "sippy cup" everywhere they go looks a bit strange, possibly infantile.  Sip sip sip.  It is a modern phenomenon.  Sip sip sip.

I agree. I'm also repulsed by those who drink from a bottle-only because I was brought up not to do that, it's not very good manners.

But yes, the phenomenon of having to nourish yourself 24/7 -often publicly- started in the 80's. The US has evolved into a nation of people who eat most meals alone and constantly "snack" or more appropriately termed "graze". The problem with American style "grazing" is; instead of substituting meals, grazing is in addition to meals!

As for kids drinking coffee-the chains have designed all those sugary drinks to do exactly that - lure in new consumers who otherwise wouldn't drink regular coffee.

• Like 2