Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Men drinking coffee or tea in the movies-- is it masculine?

139 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I agree. I'm also repulsed by those who drink from a bottle-only because I was brought up not to do that, it's not very good manners.

But yes, the phenomenon of having to nourish yourself 24/7 -often publicly- started in the 80's. The US has evolved into a nation of people who eat most meals alone and constantly "snack" or more appropriately termed "graze". The problem with American style "grazing" is; instead of substituting meals, grazing is in addition to meals!

As for kids drinking coffee-the chains have designed all those sugary drinks to do exactly that - lure in new consumers who otherwise wouldn't drink regular coffee.

Black coffee is fine for me.  I prefer coffee with real cream though.  Also I'd rather have black coffee instead of coffee with "lite creamer".  No sugar - real cream is sweet enough for me.

On 11/18/2018 at 12:32 PM, TopBilled said:

Doesn't it seem like he should be drinking bourbon or at least having some beer? Especially in a western.

How do you know he didn't put a splash of bourbon in his cuppa?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

How do you know he didn't put a splash of bourbon in his cuppa?

Good point. LOL Though he still might want to try using a more manly cup. But like I said we can blame some of it on Hop-Sing. :)

9 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

This is how MEN drink their coffee!

coffee_cup.jpg.74ec9ed71e9656fb8b90cb68abcb3e60.jpg

Or straight out of one of these. ;) :lol:

GUEST_5a7b9453-fc1c-4a3b-a180-64218e7ecd

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Or straight out of one of these. ;) :lol:

GUEST_5a7b9453-fc1c-4a3b-a180-64218e7ecd

Ya can build up a lotta muscles hefting that newfangled percolator thing for each gulp of the cafe au lait or tea a real man is ingesting.

• Haha 2

I use one of these. With crushed egg  shells and ground pepper for extra kick!

61pnmKBrG5L._SX425_.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 7:57 PM, sagebrush said:

Any chance I have to mention Fred Astaire with a topic discussion I seize, however far fetched!

"Coffee Time" from YOLANDA AND THE THIEF, with the lovely Lucille Bremer. Perhaps the warped-looking scenery and the odd costumes on the chorus of dancers is the result of the wardrobe and set decoration departments consuming too much caffeine? 😄

LOVE the dance numbers in that film! I dont know why Lucille Bremer didnt have a better career.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Black coffee is fine for me.  I prefer coffee with real cream though.  Also I'd rather have black coffee instead of coffee with "lite creamer".  No sugar - real cream is sweet enough for me.

Since I discovered the flavored creamers, that's how I drink it a home. (Hazelnut is my favorite). I used to use half and half. But at work, I'm stuck drinking it black as it's too much hassle having to store it in the fridge and the back and forth all day. Yech. But I drink it for the caffeine....

I dont eat or drink low fat ANYTHING! (Well, 2% Milk is as far as I go...)

On 11/29/2018 at 6:44 AM, Ray Faiola said:

This is how MEN drink their coffee!

coffee_cup.jpg.74ec9ed71e9656fb8b90cb68abcb3e60.jpg

OK now you're in my territory...

That is an imported knock off of the original Victor Mug. I wrote the first article about them which is still being quoted, most recently in the Huffington Post.

The Victor mug was made in Victor NY during WW2 by Victor Insulators Co. No roads were being built, so the company reconfigured their machinery to craft mugs for the military. The Navy mugs had no handles. Sometimes they have a submarine or battleship logo. After WW2, diners used these mugs for the comfortable familiarity to their patrons, mostly men. Plus, they are durable.

Since they had brown, blue, gray & tan glazes for insulators, you can sometimes find them in those colors, but rarely. Some have a green stripe flourish. Victor Insulators stopped production in the '90's due to the cheaper knock offs. Because they were made of insulator porcelain, if you preheat your mug with warm water, it will keep your coffee warm a long time.

I call these "The mug that can withstand 10,000 volts"

IMG_5708-1024x634-1500x800.jpg

19 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

I use one of these. With crushed egg  shells and ground pepper for extra kick!

61pnmKBrG5L._SX425_.jpg

So Ray, question here:

Ever get that old percolator of yours there to do that thing in those old Maxwell House commercials?

(...you know, sound like that song that was a mild hit recording by Billy Joe & the Checkmates back in 1962?)

;)

19 hours ago, GordonCole said:

Ya can build up a lotta muscles hefting that newfangled percolator thing for each gulp of the cafe au lait or tea a real man is ingesting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

So Ray, question here:

Ever get that old percolator of yours there to do that thing in those old Maxwell House commercials?

(...you know, sound like that song that was a mild hit recording by Billy Joe & the Checkmates back in 1962?)

;)

Now I don't think I could top that...  Nice and simple thoughts on a coffeemaker.  No "Internet Of Things" or "Botnets" to be seen there.  Just a coffeemaker that makes good coffee.

The other day I happened to be in a hi-tech appliance store and they had coffee makers that sounded like this:

25 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Now I don't think I could top that...  Nice and simple thoughts on a coffeemaker.  No "Internet Of Things" or "Botnets" to be seen there.  Just a coffeemaker that makes good coffee.

The other day I happened to be in a hi-tech appliance store and they had coffee makers that sounded like this:

Wow! Then I suppose this would give a whole to new meaning to that old phrase "A Caffeine Rush", eh MCOH?!

(...or as Lawrence Welk might've said, "Thank you'a, boys. What a won'erful little uptempo tune from you here, mmmm.") 

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Wow! Then I suppose this would give a whole to new meaning to that old phrase "A Caffeine Rush", eh MCOH?!

(...or as Lawrence Welk might've said, "Thank you'a, boys. What a won'erful little uptempo tune from you here, mmmm.") 

I don't know, I didn't stay around long enough to find out!

6 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I don't know, I didn't stay around long enough to find out!

Now WAIT a second here, dude!

Don't you know one of the rules around here is that IF you post a YouTube video in a thread, you have to watch AND listen to the WHOLE thing BEFORE you post IT???

(...boy, I tell ya...some people around here don't seem to have EVER read the "Rules of Conduct" at good ol' TCM.com, huh!)

;)

20 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Now WAIT a second here, dude!

Don't you know one of the rules around here is that IF you post a YouTube video in thread, you have to watch and listen to the WHOLE thing before you post IT???

(...boy, I tell ya...some people around here don't seem to have EVER read the "Rules of Conduct" at good ol' TCM.com, huh!)

;)

I already had the album and I knew what came next.  The coffee maker is what worried me - steam engines, medieval torture devices and all.  I had to get out of there.

Tell you what I've always thought produces the very best tasting coffee.

It's those little contractions that evidently the same people who'd give us a name for a particular genre of film that many us around here seem to have different notions of what truly constitutes that genre, ALSO gave the world.

Yep, one of THESE babies...

s-l1000.jpg

...the French Press.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JeanneCrain said:

Coffee / Tea - not for my men...

Cognac for broken heart.png

Cognac for Broken Hearts

"Of all the threadsh in all the websitesh of all of the Internet, that Crain dame comesh into mine and remindsh me of thish!"

1 minute ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Darg Man...stick with Italian know-how...

moka-pot-4-1.jpg

I have about 10 of those at my house!   But only the poor Italians or really old folks use those.   Instead most homes have the espresso machines.    We have one of those,  but my wife uses these old-ones when she is making a lot of espresso for tiramisu (and she makes an award winning one).   

My father-in-law home has the espresso machine but he only will drink coffee from the old-ones.   

• Thanks 1