Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Men drinking coffee or tea in the movies-- is it masculine?

139 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Maybe the handle could run a bit longer from top to bottom, but that is about the only thing I'd change.  Metal enamelware, made in Poland.

Eh, although I love the look of porcelain enamel on steel, there is no handle more comfortable than the fat round porcelain Victor Mug*. Well, I also have several dozen old Hall coffee mugs-still hand made in on your area, OH. The WV peninsula that sticks up into OH is ground zero for ceramic commercial restaurant ware & depression glass.

*C'mon TCM....reissue a line of "classic" design mugs-I'd buy the Gangster, King Kong, the Movie Star, the Bartender, the Cameraman...the entire set. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 6:35 AM, TikiSoo said:

I agree. I'm also repulsed by those who drink from a bottle-only because I was brought up not to do that, it's not very good manners.

You put your bottle in a brown paper bag, don't you?  :P

18 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Eh, although I love the look of porcelain enamel on steel, there is no handle more comfortable than the fat round porcelain Victor Mug*. Well, I also have several dozen old Hall coffee mugs-still hand made in on your area, OH. The WV peninsula that sticks up into OH is ground zero for ceramic commercial restaurant ware & depression glass.

*C'mon TCM....reissue a line of "classic" design mugs-I'd buy the Gangster, King Kong, the Movie Star, the Bartender, the Cameraman...the entire set. 

Sounds like some of their original clip art.

clipart-tcm_city.jpeg

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/clipart-servgirl.jpg

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/clipart-nav_icon_april.gif

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/clipart-logo2.png

A bit before my time here, but I'd be in...

Or take the two bottom images here - ideally higher resolution vector graphics (SVG files), get a blank white cup, and get it done yourself.  One face on each side.  That would make a nice cup.

• Like 1

The place to design your own housewares and apparel is www.cafepress.com. Its WYSIWIG design, you do it all yourself over their site by uploading images. They send you the mug or the shirt with the image, but you're the one who decides how it should look, what size, what effects, etc.

• Like 1

"Mr. Miller...the man was finished when he fell."

"That's easy for you to say! Sitting there...drinking COFFEE!!"

tOsaXKuO9vM5m17ZnlVxMxkrGOb.jpg

In NYC its also difficult to find a bodega in many neighborhoods which will serve pork-based meats rather than halal.

Invariably you will get 'turkey bacon' or 'turkey sausage' on your breakfast sammich. And the immigrants sometimes have never even heard of a 'club' sandwich or other typical orders which feature pork like 'Taylor Pork Roll'.

Well, I was craving one today at my workday sammich shop. I have tried and failed there once before. "I'd like a turkey BLT, please" --got me a BLT made with turkey bacon. Not sliced turkey as I desired, placed on the sandwich with the bacon.

Today I tried, "I'd like a BLT with turkey, please" and I got--lettuce, tomato and turkey but no bacon at all.

Sigh.

Another time coming out of a movie theater in Manhattan, I stopped at a hot dog stand and I wanted my usual choice of two dogs with mustard, onions, and relish. It was a disaster. Not only did the cart not even stock any relish, the Pakistani making the dogs, had never even heard of pickle relish. Couldn't even fathom what it was. That was one of the first lessons I learned about the big city. Never presume anything.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

In NYC its also difficult to find a bodega in many neighborhoods which will serve pork-based meats rather than halal.

Invariably you will get 'turkey bacon' or 'turkey sausage' on your breakfast sammich. And the immigrants sometimes have never even heard of a 'club' sandwich or other typical orders which feature pork like 'Taylor Pork Roll'.

Well, I was craving one today at my workday sammich shop. I have tried and failed there once before. "I'd like a turkey BLT, please" --got me a BLT made with turkey bacon. Not sliced turkey as I desired, placed on the sandwich with the bacon.

Today I tried, "I'd like a BLT with turkey, please" and I got--lettuce, tomato and turkey but no bacon at all.

Sigh.

Another time coming out of a movie theater in Manhattan, I stopped at a hot dog stand and I wanted my usual choice of two dogs with mustard, onions, and relish. It was a disaster. Not only did the cart not even stock any relish, the Pakistani making the dogs, had never even heard of pickle relish. Couldn't even fathom what it was. That was one of the first lessons I learned about the big city. Never presume anything.

Sounds like you could write a book.

On 12/3/2018 at 7:41 AM, Sgt_Markoff said:

The place to design your own housewares and apparel is www.cafepress.com. 

While CafePress is ok for some things, I find often their fabric printing is substandard. The "designers" can just upload images without correcting them and often you receive dull or muddy image prints. I also think they use computer generated "heat press" designs rather than screen printed with ink on fabric. Heat pressed designs fail whereas cured ink designs hold up much better with use.

CafePress' quality is spotty.

Well yeah it goes without saying; anything on --or from-- the internet is sub-standard workmanship. Nothing I know of 'from the web' ever meets real-world criteria especially in terms of things like textiles or artwork. Its all about convenience, merely.

Here's an example of a vector graphic (SVG file).  This started off as a small thumbnail-sized raster graphic (JPG) I found online, much like the ones I posted above.  In a vector file like this the image is constructed with a series of lines and shapes, just like a cad file.  It is not constructed with pixels, like a raster image (gif. jpg. png).  In fact you can open a vector image up with a text editor and see all the coordinates in plain text.  So whether it is enlarged or reduced, it still manages to have clean sharp lines.  It won't show soft or fuzzy edges (other than a general lack of fine detail due to expansion).

Anyhow this is the type of file you usually supply to print shops, laser etching and so forth.  Or if they are really nice they may try to help you accomplish your goal.  Having said that, I too am skeptical about "kiosk" types of print services aimed at the general consumer who will probably try to print anything under the sun, and that is putting it gently.

Vector example (SVG file, blown up)

clipart-svg-tcm1.svg

Raster example (JPG file, original file, blown up)
http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/clipart-jpg-tcm1.jpg

Raster example (JPG file, original file, original size)
http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/clipart-jpg-tcm1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haha Ohio, takes a mathematician to understand good "art". You can't imagine how many fuzzy/muddy designs a print shop receives from clients to print. I had a 40/hour a week job just "fixing" customer's graphics for printing! Especially frustrating when the client says, "But it looks great on my computer"!

You're correct to be wary of printing kiosks-especially photos. They come out looking like an old Xerox with black lines in their teeth. I'm amazed when someone shows me a computer printed photo taken from their phone and think it looks great.

Luckily, we still have a real photographic printing shop in town. Worth 35¢ a print.

• Like 2

Lucky, indeed.  The best(and only) one in my town closed up a few months ago.  Gotta find another somewhere since I have a portrait of my wife I'd like to make extra copies of, and the studio that took the photo had long ago gone out of business.

And too, I got tired REAL quick of gleeps handing me their PHONES to look at "photos" that I have to "swipe" to see all of them.  AND that usually disappear if (and usually when) my thumb of part of a finger touches the wrong part of the "screen".  :rolleyes:

It's getting harder and harder for me to resist the temptation to "accidentally" drop their "nosedive" device down a sewer grate.  :angry:

Sepiatone

Too true, Talluh'. ^_^

I never allow anyone to show me anything on their dingbat device.

And for those listless pedestrian scumbags--who shuffle along eyes-down, like the morons they are--absorbed by their gadgets--instead of paying attention to the street? I have a water-pistol.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:36 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Life can be difficult, Sgt. I was in Manhattan once and asked the youngish waitress for Branch Water with my usual liquor selection. She came back and said "I'm sorry, Sir but we have no branch water. Would regular water do?"

Ahem...

• Haha 3