Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Fosse/Verdon

18 posts in this topic

This may be of some interest to some around here:

FX has set the main cast for the eight-episode limited series “Fosse/Verdon,” Variety has learned.

The series is based on the biography “Fosse” written by Sam Wasson and tells the story of the romantic and creative partnership between Bob Fosse(Sam Rockwell) and Gwen Verdon (Michelle Williams).

Norbert Leo Butz has been cast in the series regular role of Paddy Chayefsky, while Margaret Qually will appear in the series regular role of Ann Reinking.

In addition, the following people have been cast in recurring roles: Aya Cash as Joan Simon, Nate Corddry as Neil Simon, Susan Misner as Joan McCracken, Bianca Marroquin as Chita Rivera, Kelli Barrett as Liza Minnelli, Evan Handler as Hal Prince, Rick Holmes as Fred Weaver, Paul Reiser as Cy Feuer, Ethan Slater as Joel Grey, Byron Jennings as George Abbott, and Laura Osnes as Shirley MacLaine.

See full article at Variety »

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

SAM ROCKWELL and PAUL REISER are the only names there I'm familiar with.  So to me, it's a good start as I respect both guys' talent.  But I'll reserve any other opinion until I see it( if I do).

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I'm hoping it's better than 1979's ALL THAT JAZZ.

Well Tiki, considering that this movie primarily received glowing reviews upon its release, has been selected for inclusion in the National Film Registry, was once commented upon by no less an authority on film than Stanley Kubrick as being "the best film I think I have ever seen", and even currently holds a 7.8 rating on the IMDb website and thus meaning its quality has seemed to have held up to public scrutiny after all these years...IF this FX miniseries does turn out to be better than it, then it will certainly be one of best programs to be televised during the season.

(...or in other words, heck, I remember liking Bob Fosse's vanity project quite a lot when I first watched it back in '79) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I'm hoping it's better than 1979's ALL THAT JAZZ.

Omg. I watched this movie because my friend loves it--I hated it!  There was nothing compelling or memorable about it.  This movie is one on my "Do not need to watch again" list.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Omg. I watched this movie because my friend loves it--I hated it!  There was nothing compelling or memorable about it.  This movie is one on my "Do not need to watch again" list.

Wow! Gotta say all this distaste for Fosse's film is surprising to me here, speedy.

(...maybe I need to sit down and watch it again...must have missed something about it back then)

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Well Tiki, considering that this movie primarily received glowing reviews upon its release, has been selected for inclusion in the National Film Registry, was once commented upon by no less an authority on film than Stanley Kubrick as being "the best film I think I have ever seen", and even currently holds a 7.8 rating on the IMDb website and thus meaning its quality has seemed to have held up to public scrutiny after all these years...IF this FX miniseries does turn out to be better than it, then it will certainly be one of best programs to be televised during the season.

(...or in other words, heck, I remember liking Bob Fosse's vanity project quite a lot when I first watched it back in '79) 

Roy Scheider still can't dance.

5 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Untitled.png

lllllllegs.

Yeah, and not to mention one of the sexiest overbites since Gene Tierney's!

I have mentioned before how that sort'a thing in a woman has always done somethin' "special" for me, haven't I?! ;)

(...yeah yeah, I know...weird, huh)

LOL

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dargo said:

I remember liking Bob Fosse's vanity project quite a lot when I first watched it back in '79

I love this movie very much for many reasons. Each scene is precise in its meanings and execution. It is narcissistic self-evaluation and realization. There are dichotomies within dichotomies. The movie is in all regards honest at the expense of the ego and vanity of the autobiographer. 

Bob Fosse was the greatest choreographer of the Twentieth Century and he choreographed this entire movie with his unique blend of sinister sexiness and self-destructive passion.

The movie is a disturbingly realistic close-up of a life fully embracing Wallenda's: "To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting." It clearly delineates between what is tolerated, what is embraced and what is sacrificed on the altar of passion. It is the story of a flawed hero continuously seeking a chalice beyond human reach.

The only uncomfortable spot for me is the: Everything Old is New Again dance scene. Ann Reinking has the longest and most graceful legs in human history and I am intolerably jealous to the point of exasperation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I must state that I too was very impressed by All That Jazz when I saw it. Remarkable film, Scheider and Ann Reinking were brilliant in it, the whole film was exceptional. Only two small quibbles: the "Take Off with Us"/Air-otica sequence went on way too long once it was transformed into that steamy number (very Fosse-esqe though) and that infamous surgical scene was too much. Otherwise, it was a knockout and one of my favorite films of the entire decade of the 70s.

• Like 3

I like the fact that there are some Broadway people in the cast. Ethan Slater (Joel Grey) just recently played the title role in Spongebob Squarepants the Musical. Kelli Barrett (Liza Minnelli) has done stuff like Wicked and Doctor Zhivago. And Laura Osnes (Shirley MacLaine) has done South Pacific, Cinderella, Bonnie & Clyde, Grease, Anything Goes, and the more recent wartime musical, “Bandstand.”

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 11:52 AM, Dargo said:

Wow! Gotta say all this distaste for Fosse's film is surprising to me here, speedy.

(...maybe I need to sit down and watch it again...must have missed something about it back then)

I was going to say,  maybe you have to be a dancer to really appreciate a movie about dancers.

Dargo, shall we dance?

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 2:39 AM, Princess of Tap said:

I was going to say,  maybe you have to be a dancer to really appreciate a movie about dancers.

Dargo, shall we dance?

I'd love to know what you think of both ALL THAT JAZZ and the new Fosse movie, Princess.

Personally, I didn't like ATJ because I just didn't like the charactors, couldn't empathize with their situations. 

The older I get the less patience I have with some charactors, especially those who continue making the same mistakes. (most especially those who forgive a romantic partner for repeated violations)

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

I'd love to know what you think of both ALL THAT JAZZ and the new Fosse movie, Princess.

Personally, I didn't like ATJ because I just didn't like the charactors, couldn't empathize with their situations. 

The older I get the less patience I have with some charactors, especially those who continue making the same mistakes. (most especially those who forgive a romantic partner for repeated violations)

I don't know anything about the new film, but Bob Fosse's film autobiography is his life.

For anybody who is seriously involved in dance, it is a dream come true to see how the greatest choreographer of my generation viewed his own life and his life's work. What I thought was particularly interesting was how he started out, a teenager, tap dancing in strip clubs in Chicago,  getting as far as starring roles in MGM movies and then realizing his limitations--

and then going on to be the greatest Broadway choreographer of the post-war era.

For those of us who stood in the wings dance- wise, this was an unbelievable opportunity to look out on what we could only imagine was going on in the big time.

I think it does what none of those other dance musicals have achieved, it shows just the amount of hard work and stress that it takes to go into dancing.

This movie is all about dance and the kind of sacrifices that people make for it.

Also it's about how a professional dance career affected his personal life. You only have to look at people like the great New York City Ballet choreographer George Balanchine, who married every one of his great ballerinas, except the last one-- and that's a story--

To know that dancers are inextricably tied to their life's work to the point that it controls and dictates their personal life.

I wish you would look at Fred Astaire's AFI Awards presentation. Bob Fosse is one of the lead guest speakers. He explains not only what Fred Astaire meant to him but what dance meant to him. If you look at any of these great dancers paying homage to Fred Astaire, people like Gene Kelly, Eleanor Powell and Baryshnikov, you'll get a feeling for how much dance controlled their lives.

And you have to wonder how much they were left with in the end.

PS: Through it all, you know Bob Fosse never divorced Gwen Verdon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Gosh, I guess I need to see All That Jazz, which I've always avoided because of the surgery scenes.

About the new cast: I would never cast Paul Reiser as anything but a serial killer. Reiser as romantic lead in Mad About You was unthinkable and unwatchable. To me he's the creepiest actor since Barry Fitzgerald . . . and some of you know how much I love Mr. Fitzgerald (who is great in The Sea Wolf where he's properly cast).

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:12 AM, NickAndNora34 said:

I like the fact that there are some Broadway people in the cast. Ethan Slater (Joel Grey) just recently played the title role in Spongebob Squarepants the Musical. Kelli Barrett (Liza Minnelli) has done stuff like Wicked and Doctor Zhivago. And Laura Osnes (Shirley MacLaine) has done South Pacific, Cinderella, Bonnie & Clyde, Grease, Anything Goes, and the more recent wartime musical, “Bandstand.”

And Lin-Manuel Miranda is on the production team. I have hopes for this project because of all the theater talent involved. Hollywood has a very checkered history when dealing with the subject of New York theater, but it sounds as if this is in the hands of people who may better understand what they're dealing with. Fosse was also a major player in films as a director, but from the title I'm assuming it will deal more with his early theater and film days. I'm really looking forward to this.

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2018 at 1:08 PM, kingrat said:

Gosh, I guess I need to see All That Jazz, which I've always avoided because of the surgery scenes.

Well, those scenes are graphic and they are intercut with a non-surgical scene so the cuts to the surgery are much more graphic, but the scene (and the scene that surrounds it) takes about 3 minutes. If I were you though, since you sound queasy about it, skip over the scene. I can give you an account in what happens in the scene around it.