Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

favorite thanksgiving chow

19 posts in this topic

mine is mashed potatoes with melted butter sprinkled with plenty of pepper.

and I like my mashed potatoes very solid.

now that's a meal.

:)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cook my turkey in a Nesco roaster but fill it 2/3rds with water.  Makes for a more tender turkey and have broth for stuffing.

Best-Electric-Roaster-Ovens.jpg

 

But still use the old classic, very well built and has an indicator (heating element shows though).  Take great care of it. Pan and liner is gloss brown.

nesco-oven-roaster-quart-roast-master-po

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the traditional meal: Turkey, ham and all the trimmings.  I made this Sunday.  The only addition may be Camotes Enmielados, sweet potato yams boiled with cinnemon sticks and piloncillo (a cone of unrefined brown sugar).

Since I love the traditional meal, being here since I was small, I was upset the first year I celebrated this day with my ex-wife.  After constant fighting, we agreed to go to my family's gathering for appetizers only, then to her family's for the actual meal.  Her family, more recent immigrants than mine, had pozole as the main meal.  I was highly upset.  I love pozole and can eat it even in warm weather, but not for thanksgiving, or at least not as the main dish.  Its perfect for Xmas, but not for Thanksgiving.  Not a good start to our marriage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Arturo said:

I love the traditional meal: Turkey, ham and all the trimmings.  I made this Sunday.  The only addition may be Camotes Enmielados, sweet potato yams boiled with cinnemon sticks and piloncillo (a cone of unrefined brown sugar).

Since I love the traditional meal, being here since I was small, I was upset the first year I celebrated this day with my ex-wife.  After constant fighting, we agreed to go to my family's gathering for appetizers only, then to her family's for the actual meal.  Her family, more recent immigrants than mine, had pozole as the main meal.  I was highly upset.  I love pozole and can eat it even in warm weather, but not for thanksgiving, or at least not as the main dish.  Its perfect for Xmas, but not for Thanksgiving.  Not a good start to our marriage.

What is pozole?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Arturo said:

I love the traditional meal: Turkey, ham and all the trimmings.  I made this Sunday.  The only addition may be Camotes Enmielados, sweet potato yams boiled with cinnemon sticks and piloncillo (a cone of unrefined brown sugar).

Since I love the traditional meal, being here since I was small, I was upset the first year I celebrated this day with my ex-wife.  After constant fighting, we agreed to go to my family's gathering for appetizers only, then to her family's for the actual meal.  Her family, more recent immigrants than mine, had pozole as the main meal.  I was highly upset.  I love pozole and can eat it even in warm weather, but not for thanksgiving, or at least not as the main dish.  Its perfect for Xmas, but not for Thanksgiving.  Not a good start to our marriage.

Funny but my first Thanksgiving with my Italian wife and in-laws,  was similar.   The in-laws were visiting from Italy.  I invited my mom,  sister and her family and I told them I would cook the dinner (to me cooking a traditional Thanksgiving meal is fairly simple). 

Well my mother-in-law wanted to make a dish.  Well it turned out to be about 4 - 5 dishes and of course they were all southern Italian.   These so called 'appetizers' were served first and by the time we got around to the Thanksgiving meal people were already full.   

I didn't get upset since my mother-in-law and wife were clearly clueless.    But I did ask them to please not do that again.    I said 'hey,  how would you feel if I brought roast beef to the traditional Italian Christmas 7 seafood feast!'.        

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

What is pozole?

Pozole is a thick soup.  It usually has hominy, and is made with pork and/or chicken.  It has a red chile sauce added to the broth; if only chicken, it's usually a green chile sauce, and is know as Green Pozole.  As with all Mexican soups, iit is served with onions, cilsntro, and lime juice, also oregano, cabbage and radishes and tostadas.  And like other Mexican soups it is a meal unto itself.

 

Pozole is traditional at Christmas, along with tamales.  It is great eating any time of the year.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to eat some of the traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I liked turkey and rolls, but not

cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, or pumpkin pie. Now I make a big plate of spaghetti

with lots of sauce and Parmesan cheese. I notice that in many movies and TV shows

they seem to skimp on those. No. I'm going to buy a chocolate cake for a post-Thanksgiving

treat. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I used to eat some of the traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I liked turkey and rolls, but not

cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, or pumpkin pie. Now I make a big plate of spaghetti

with lots of sauce and Parmesan cheese. I notice that in many movies and TV shows

they seem to skimp on those. No. I'm going to buy a chocolate cake for a post-Thanksgiving

treat. 

The traditional Italian way to eat pasta is with only a light amount of sauce.   For most of the Italians I have met (and that is a lot since I'm married to one),   the pasta is the 'thing' and not the sauce.    I like mine with lots of sauce,  but after over 20 years of being married I still have to ask for more sauce!!!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best of all - bread stuffing baked inside the turkey. I can't get enough of that poultry-seasoned wonderfulness.

Also - yams.

Yams baked to softness, with butter melted onto and into them and lightly salted. OMG I'm getting hungry!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The traditional Italian way to eat pasta is with only a light amount of sauce.   For most of the Italians I have met (and that is a lot since I'm married to one),   the pasta is the 'thing' and not the sauce.    I like mine with lots of sauce,  but after over 20 years of being married I still have to ask for more sauce!!!

 

I suppose we should respect the Italians in regards to pasta, but I will still pile on the

sauce and cheese. When I'm lazy I will occasionally eat spaghetti with just cheese on

it. Not bad. I have to be cautious about portion control or else I will have to lie on the

couch for a couple of hours after the meal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us