Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

THE GARBAGE PAIL KIDS MOVIE (1987) on TCM

50 posts in this topic

Anyone going to watch this one? I think it's a premiere. Airing at 3:45 a.m. tomorrow night (early morning on the 24th of November).

Considered by critics to be the worst movie ever made. It has a 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

It made $1.6 million at the box office.

I bet TCM is renting it for a quarter.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/75991/Garbage-Pail-Kids-Movie-The/

yet another winning programming selection by tcm.

the viewer is ever uppermost in their minds.

:(

21 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Movie was made because the producers thought there wasn't enough trash out there. :wacko:

Yes, the word "garbage" seems highly appropriate.

I think the movie was co-produced by Topps Chewing Gum, the company that manufactures playing cards. They created the Garbage Pail Kids trading cards.

But yeah, definitely a low point in 80s cinema.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garbage_Pail_Kids_Movi

10 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

yet another winning programming selection by tcm.

the viewer is ever uppermost in their minds.

In the past I could defend some of these programming choices, because the original package of films Ted Turner acquired from MGM/UA went up to 1986. 

But THE GARBAGE PAIL KIDS MOVIE is not from MGM/UA and it was released in August 1987, so it is clearly not one of the titles he purchased. 

Now the programmers are filling up the schedule with cheap junk, offloading it as part of the TCM Underground series. But what aspect of the Garbage Pail Kids seems like underground cinema? Certainly we cannot say that all low budget offerings from the 80s are examples of cult underground moviemaking.

If anything, this film was a product of a mainstream company trying to promote the bubble gum it sold. And director Rod Amateau was never going to be lauded in Cahiers du Cinema as an auteur.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

In the past I could defend some of these programming choices, because the original package of films Ted Turner acquired from MGM/UA went up to 1986. 

But THE GARBAGE PAIL KIDS MOVIE is not from MGM/UA and it was released in August 1987, so it is clearly not one of the titles he purchased. 

Now the programmers are filling up the schedule with cheap junk, offloading it as part of the TCM Underground series. But what aspect of the Garbage Pail Kids seems like underground cinema? Certainly we cannot say that all low budget offerings from the 80s are examples of cult underground moviemaking.

If anything, this film was a product of a mainstream company trying to promote the bubble gum it sold. And director Rod Amateau was never going to be lauded in Cahiers du Cinema as an auteur.

Got to thinking back about the promotion of Reese's Pieces  during the showing of "ET".

7366845306_407697e3e0_b.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hamradio said:

Got to thinking back about the promotion of Reese's Pieces  during the showing of "ET".

7366845306_407697e3e0_b.jpg

I'm sure that wrapper is a collector's item now. 

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I'm sure that wrapper is a collector's item now. 

So will the stickers.

s-l300.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Hard to believe these cards are selling for $19,000. That's the asking price. Who'd pay it?

Not Rick Harrison.

"How about $75, I'm running a business and I've got to make some money too."

Yeah, Garbage Pail Kids isn't even one of the "so bad it's good" movies. It's just extremely unfunny, unentertaining garbage. I'd rather rewatch Ten Zan: the Ultimate Mission 5 times in a row.

TenZanTheUltimateMission1988Cover.jpg

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, Garbage Pail Kids isn't even one of the "so bad it's good" movies. It's just extremely unfunny, unentertaining garbage. I'd rather rewatch Ten Zan: the Ultimate Mission 5 times in a row.

TenZanTheUltimateMission1988Cover.jpg

Try watching this 2 times in a row.

Spoiler alert...the greeting "give me five" made a comeback. :wacko:

Rated R for rediculous.

3b14b22014f2579f17a7de7b4e92eb89.jpg

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Hard to believe these cards are selling for $19,000. That's the asking price. Who'd pay it?

If I had 19K to blow on whatever I wanted to collect I'd go buy up the entire Criterion collection. At least I'd have something worth owning.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

If I had 19K to blow on whatever I wanted to collect I'd go buy up the entire Criterion collection. At least I'd have something worth owning.

Yes, get more for your money that way. An actual value.

This film was released by the defunct Atlantic Releasing Corporation. Modern-day MGM owns the rights to that library, so I assume we are getting this as a side effect of MGM-owned Broadway Danny Rose the other night. But if that is so, why was River's Edge pulled? MGM owns the rights to it too. And if an Atlantic Releasing Corporation title should have been featured on Underground, it should have been Mike Figgis' woefully underrated noir mood piece Stormy Monday, with its stunning imagry courtesy of cinematographer Roger Deakins and two empathetic leads, Sean Bean and Melanie Griffith, who had great chemistry together.

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

This film was released by the defunct Atlantic Releasing Corporation. Modern-day MGM owns the rights to that library, so I assume we are getting this as a side effect of MGM-owned Broadway Danny Rose the other night. But if that is so, why was River's Edge pulled? MGM owns the rights to it too. And if an Atlantic Releasing Corporation title should have been featured on Underground, it should have been Mike Figgis' woefully underrated noir mood piece Stormy Monday, with its stunning imagry courtesy of cinematographer Roger Deakins and two empathetic leads, Sean Bean and Melanie Griffith, who had great chemistry together.

Thanks. Yeah, I was a bit disappointed when I saw RIVER'S EDGE had been pulled. IN COLD BLOOD was also pulled. So maybe those two films will return to the schedule next year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

This film was released by the defunct Atlantic Releasing Corporation.

(More accurately, it wasn't released in theaters by Atlantic, which contributed to the movie's "legend", and made everyone so curious to try and track it down on home video.) 😛 

Modern-day MGM owns the rights to that library, so I assume we are getting this as a side effect of MGM-owned Broadway Danny Rose the other night. But if that is so, why was River's Edge pulled? MGM owns the rights to it too.

Technically, Orion acquired most of the defunct 80's indie-release companies--including American Int'l, Empire, Atlantic, Hemdale, and Cannon Pictures--before also going bankrupt early in the 90's.  All were under MGM's umbrella label, before MGM itself went into yet another bankruptcy in the late 00's.

That's what constitutes most of the "MGM Orphans" you've heard me speak of late, which have sunk into a near-Public Domain state, and are now growing like kudzu on every streaming service, cable channel, ad-supported movie site, and third-party Blu/DVD disk label.  (In Atlantic's case, for example, on how many danged services can you watch "Teen Wolf 1 & 2"?)  United Artists also repeatedly went under in the 80's and 90's, and has also now joined the Orphans--Which explains "Broadway Danny Rose"'s availability, not to mention the entire 80's Woody Allen catalog, to go along with the compleat Pink Panther, much of their 60's-70's epics (throw a rock in any direction without hitting "It's a Mad^4 World" or "Fiddler on the Roof"), and the entire 007 canon up through Pierce Brosnan.

19 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, the word "garbage" seems highly appropriate.

I think the movie was co-produced by Topps Chewing Gum, the company that manufactures playing cards. They created the Garbage Pail Kids trading cards.

But yeah, definitely a low point in 80s cinema.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garbage_Pail_Kids_Movi

Actually, that's my only familiarity of them.  Never KNEW there WAS amovie made with/about them.

I'll probably pass because, in spite of them being from THEIR childhoods, even my kids thought the gum cards were dumb.  ;)

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Actually, that's my only familiarity of them.  Never KNEW there WAS amovie made with/about them.

I'll probably pass because, in spite of them being from THEIR childhoods, even my kids thought the gum cards were dumb.  ;)

Sepiatone

The cards were a parody in response to the Cabbage Patch doll craze during the 1983-84 time period.  I'll never forget that era, not to be outdone until Tickle Me Elmo. 

So those dolls were the cause of the Black Friday madness!

https://www.rediscoverthe80s.com/2014/11/black-friday-origins-1983-cabbage-patch.html

cabbage-patch-craze.jpg

1*IpISmvXtVmGVMI0iseEkmw.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

The cards were a parody in response to the Cabbage Patch doll craze during the 1983-84 time period.  I'll never forget that era, not to be outdone until Tickle Me Elmo. 

So those dolls were the cause of the Black Friday madness!

https://www.rediscoverthe80s.com/2014/11/black-friday-origins-1983-cabbage-patch.html

cabbage-patch-craze.jpg

What memories. Rampant consumerism. Everyone had to have a CPK doll. Notice how happy those customers are because they got one!

My grandmother and aunt were almost stampeded at a department store in Chicago trying to buy one for my little sister.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

What memories. Rampant consumerism. Everyone had to have a CPK doll. Notice how happy those customers are because they got one!

My grandmother and aunt were almost stampeded at a department store in Chicago trying to buy one for my little sister.

Aren't you glad things haven't changed? :wacko:

stampede.jpg

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Aren't you glad things haven't changed? 

Yeah, it's scary, isn't it!