Sign in to follow this  
Sgt_Markoff

Germans in GB during th' war

3 posts in this topic

I'm surprised I don't know this myself as I'm always fairly comfortable with WWII history. But this is an obscure aspect of the war, I've never seriously considered.

For German Nationals residing in Great Britain during WWII, what was their daily life like? Were they nervous? Apprehensive? I'm talking also here about dual nationality German-Britons; or, British subjects of German descent.

Were they resented by their British neighbors? Were they monitored by the authorities, or put under any kind of confinement or curfew? Did they have to 'register'?

Was there any kind of German 'cultural underground' in London say, during the Blitz? Were there German restaurants or nightclubs, beerhalls, or 'rathskellars'? Were there German performers in English theaters or in cabarets? Would they have been booed or hissed off the stage, by British audiences?

This is for some personal research. Not too many folks out there these days who might know something like this. Classic movie fans usually know a lot about the 1940s.

T'anks Mac!

Lots of stuff about this in the first season of "Foyle's War"

I think that they were eventually rounded up and placed in internment camps on the Isle of Man.

This was just about all foreign nationals.

I can't find the details on the IMDB.COM pages, but I'm pretty sure the "internment" information is shown in the first episode in the first season "The German Woman."

German nationals were also "interned" in the U.S.A. during WW2.

• Thanks 1