Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

How Many Versions Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol Have They Shown

32 posts in this topic

As always.  I am so excited about TCM,s Christmas Classics lineup.  How many versions Of Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol have they shown?  You could tell me the years and stars who were Ebanezzer Scrooge.  I think they have shown the one with Alister Sim.  Albert Finney and Scrooge.  I think and maybe more.  But I,m not sure.

Oh, they've shown LOTS of different versions of this on TCM over the years, David.

(...but I'm pretty sure that one starring Toshiro Mifune hasn't been on yet)

• Haha 2

Just now, Dargo said:

Oh, they've shown LOTS of different versions of this on TCM over the years, David.

What was that one called-- A CHRISTMAS SAMURAI'S CAROL...?

25 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

As always.  I am so excited about TCM,s Christmas Classics lineup.  How many versions Of Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol have they shown?  You could tell me the years and stars who were Ebanezzer Scrooge.  I think they have shown the one with Alister Sim.  Albert Finney and Scrooge.  I think and maybe more.  But I,m not sure.

David, 

If you go to MovieCollector's page, you should be able to find out.

http://moviecollectoroh.com

6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

6-toshiro-mifune.w330.h330.jpg

"No, Bob Cratchit, you can't have a raise!"

2351.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=forma

"This is Christmas Future?"

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

What was that one called-- A CHRISTMAS SAMURAI'S CAROL...?

Yeah! So you know of this version then, eh TB?!

Not too many people know of this Kurosawa production, ya know.

Evidently it was never released internationally and was only shown in the Japanese home market.

(...and usually on a double bill with Godzilla's Christmas Miracle)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah! So you know of this version then, eh TB?!

Not too many people know of this Kurosawa production, ya know.

Evidently it was never released internationally and was only shown in the Japanese home market.

(...and usually on a double bill with Godzilla's Christmas Miracle)

Personally I prefer Kurosawa's forgotten film about the different perspectives of Mary giving birth to the baby Jesus. It was called RASHOMAMA. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, TomJH said:

6-toshiro-mifune.w330.h330.jpg

"No, Bob Cratchit, you can't have a raise!"

2351.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=forma

"This is Christmas Future?"

Sorry Tom, but that second pic you just added to your post here is NOT a scene from A Christmas Samurai's Carol.

Nope, THAT still is from ANOTHER Japanese movie with a decidedly holiday season theme titled:

I Know I Said I Wanted a Set of Ginsu Knives for Christmas, but This is Ridiculous

(...word is the original Japanese title was a little shorter, however)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Sorry Tom, but that second pic you just added to your post here is NOT a scene from A Christmas Samurai's Carol.

Nope, THAT still is from ANOTHER of Japanese movie with a decidedly holiday season theme titled:

I Know I Said I Wanted a Set of Ginsu Knives for Christmas, but This is Ridiculous

(...word is the original Japanese title was a little shorter, however)

According to Google Translator, that title is:

私はクリスマスの銀器のセットを欲しがっていたと知っているが、これはばかげている
Watashi wa kurisumasu no ginki no setto o hoshi gatte ita 
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

According to Google Translator, that title is:

私はクリスマスの銀器のセットを欲しがっていたと知っているが、これはばかげている

Watashi wa kurisumasu no ginki no setto o hoshi gatte ita 

LOL

See?! It was a LITTLE shorter anyway, right TB?!!!

• Like 1

OH and btw...for obviously reasons here TB, I Know I Said I Wanted, etc, etc, etc was NEVER shown on a double bill with ANY other movie over there.

(...and because of course, ITS title would always take up the whole damn marquee!)

6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

OH and btw...for obviously reasons here TB, I Know I Said I Wanted, etc, etc, etc was NEVER shown on a double bill with ANY other movie over there.

(...and because of course, ITS title would always take up the whole damn marquee!)

Yes imagine if it had screened on a double bill with

Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?

OR

Oh Dad, Poor Dad, Mamma's Hung You in the Closet and I'm Feelin' So Sad

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes imagine if it had screened on a double bill with

Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?

OR

Oh Dad, Poor Dad, Mamma's Hung You in the Closet and I'm Feelin' So Sad

Yeah, or even the complete title of that Peter Sellers starring flick about nuclear destruction.

• Like 1

Y'know, I WAS going to get into the whole Seymour Hicks/Reginald Owen/Alistair Sim/Albert Finney/George C. Scott/Jim Carrey debate as I do every time this year, but, at this point, um...Think I'll sit this one out, thanks.  😉

(And no, I didn't grow up with Mr. Magoo as my first one--In those days, they still had the 70's Hanna-Barbera "Kenner Classic Tales", and was disappointed that Dickens' version of Jacob Marley was a little different from the one I had seen.)

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Y'know, I WAS going to get into the whole Seymour Hicks/Reginald Owen/Alistair Sim/Albert Finney/George C. Scott/Jim Carrey debate as I do every time this year, but, at this point, um...Think I'll sit this one out, thanks.  😉

(And no, I didn't grow up with Mr. Magoo as my first one--In those days, they still had the 70's Hanna-Barbera "Kenner Classic Tales", and was disappointed that Dickens' version of Jacob Marley was a little different from the one I had seen.)

Yeah, well, being a little older than you Eric, I was of the generation that when first exposed to the '38 version and seeing who played Marley's ghost thought to themselves something along the lines of: "Look how young that guy who played Topper on TV was when I was little and now who plays Mr. Waverly on The Man from U.N.C.L.E. !

(...or, as my mother used to call Leo G. Carroll by the mid-'60s: "Old Frog Face")

So many that Tiny Tim is now running track at Oxford.

16 hours ago, EricJ said:

Uh, you left out PATRICK STEWART and  LUDWIG VON DRAKE.  ;)  Or, did you never see MICKEY'S CHRISTMAS CAROL ?

Sepiatone

42 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Uh, you left out PATRICK STEWART and  LUDWIG VON DRAKE.  ;)  Or, did you never see MICKEY'S CHRISTMAS CAROL ?

I saw the one with Scrooge McDuck, if that's what you mean...Duck tales, you know, woo-hoo.

(And I haven't seen Kelsey Grammer's musical version, but I've heard it's not the best.)

Yeah, well, the 1970 musical version with ALBERT FINNEY was no great shakes either.  :blink:

Sepiatone

Then there's VANESSA WILLIAMS' "A Diva's Christmas Carol"  in which she plays EBONY SCROOGE.  :rolleyes:

And I'm surprised that(if even for fun) in this day of pitting various monsters against each other ( "Jason vs. Freddie", "Alien vs. Predator" etc.) that nobody came up with a "SCROOGE vs. THE GRINCH" Christmas TV movie! :P

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Then there's VANESSA WILLIAMS' "A Diva's Christmas Carol"  in which she plays EBONY SCROOGE.  :rolleyes:

And I'm surprised that(if even for fun) in this day of pitting various monsters against each other ( "Jason vs. Freddie", "Alien vs. Predator" etc.) that nobody came up with a "SCROOGE vs. THE GRINCH" Christmas TV movie! :P

Sepiatone

Well Sepia, there was that one Lifetime channel holiday TV-movie of a few years back where a young adult Tiny Tim meets a young adult Cindy Lou Who while Christmas shopping and they fall in love.

However, problems arise later on when just before their wedding they notice they have conflicting views about settling down in either London or Whoville.

Sure wish I could remember the title of it.

Max the dog even makes a cameo appearance in it when while strolling hand-in-hand, Tim and Cindy Lou pass a pet shop at one point in this thing.

(...but other than THIS one, nope, I don't think there's ever been any "Scrooge vs The Grinch" movie made yet)  

• Haha 1

That might be right.  The closest(sorta) is a SOUTH PARK send-up of The Grinch, featuring MR. HANkEY, The CHRISTMAS POO!

with little CINDY LOU POO, who was no more than TWO.....