Sign in to follow this  
TheCid

Pres. George H.W. Bush passing

98 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, calvinnme said:

Consider the tragedy of Dan Quayle. He could have been a senator for years, but instead he ended up a one term VP who is best known for a spelling faux pas. His tragedy is only exceeded by that of Jeff Sessions who made an equally bad decision to exit the senate.

But Sessions could run for his former seat again.

I doan like something I just heard, in his 41 eulogy by this Meacham schtootz. he attributes nafta to bush 41 which is accurate then he goes on to mutter complete gibberish about nafta being inproved by recent administrations...HS!

:angry:

it is president trump and only president trump who has trumpeted the failings of nafta and sought to correct them...

talk about politics. using a funeral to take a cheap shot atta guy who has the strength and resolve and refuses to crawl to your alter of selloutism. now bush 41 is being eulogized by one of the great premiere rinos of all time, alan simpson.

figures.

• Sad 1

On 12/2/2018 at 5:42 PM, Vautrin said:

With Donny as POTUS every recent American president will look better. Time heals most

wounds, so while I didn't like Bush back then I don't feel much about him now. It has been

25 years since he was president, so it's hard to get very worked up about him. 

DITTO. Saying he was one of the better GOP presidents isnt saying much. 5 days of this BS? About the only good thing about it is it stopped DUMP from tweeting! (I'm sure he'll be back at it tonight). When I think of G.H.W. Bush I think of Willie Horton, Clarence Thomas and his indifference to the AIDS epidemic.....

Fox News Anchor Says Trump's Arrival Created 'Chill' Among Attendees at George H.W. Bush's Funeral

....when President Trump and Melania Trump came to the front row that it was as if a chill had descended on that front row,” Wallace said. “You had seen a lot of chatty talk between the Clintons and the Obamas, the Carters. But when Donald Trump sat down, the greeting that he was given by Barack Obama and Michelle Obama was about as cool as it could have been," he said.

The Obamas greeted the Trumps, albeit with some apparent uneasiness from Michelle Obama, whose recently released memoir offered plenty of criticism of the commander in chief. Hillary Clinton looked and nodded as Bill Clinton shook Melania Trump's hand but did not formally greet either the president or the first lady. Bill Clinton and the president did not shake hands. 

"At that point they all stopped talking to each other,” Wallace said, noting the "ill feelings" between the current president and others sitting together at the front of the cathedral.

"I have to say that where you usually have a president’s club, and even people that ran against and maybe one beat the other, that doesn’t seem to have been extended to President Trump when you see them sitting in that front row."..........

https://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-host-donald-trump-funeral-chill-george-bush-hw-1245723?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=NewsweekTwitter

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

DITTO. Saying he was one of the better GOP presidents isnt saying much. 5 days of this BS? About the only good thing about it is it stopped DUMP from tweeting! (I'm sure he'll be back at it tonight). When I think of G.H.W. Bush I think of Willie Horton, Clarence Thomas and his indifference to the AIDS epidemic.....

This is SOP for the death of powerful pols. Accentuate the good and downplay or

completely forget about the bad. I never watch these things because they take too long

and are so damn boring. The one thing I remember is Bush 41 pardoning Weinberger

and others for their roles in the Iran-Contra affair before they were ever called to

account. That was during Christmas and put a minor damper on it. I'm sure that's one

Bush action that Donny approves of. I looked in my mailbox today and found

one piece of mail, from the VFW of all places. I usually don't check my mail until late in

the afternoon so either some mail is being delivered or else the mailman was very very

late yesterday.

There should be some law that the public should not have to go through this every time an ex-president dies. I long for the days before cable news! And fed. employees get a day off on top of it! I saw a USPS truck near my street full of pkgs this morning. I guess some people can work if they want to (probably time and a half). I've been trying to avoid the nauseating coverage as much as I can. Hopefully tomw will get back to normal. I dont hate the guy, but he doesnt deserve this overkill coverage.........It's only a matter of time before the next one goes (Carter) and we go through this all over again........

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

There should be some law that the public should not have to go through this every time an ex-president dies. I long for the days before cable news! And fed. employees get a day off on top of it! I saw a USPS truck near my street full of pkgs this morning. I guess some people can work if they want to (probably time and a half). I've been trying to avoid the nauseating coverage as much as I can. Hopefully tomw will get back to normal. I dont hate the guy, but he doesnt deserve this overkill coverage.........It's only a matter of time before the next one goes (Carter) and we go through this all over again........

I'm pretty used to them by now and you know what the drill is. Some of the visuals are rather

interesting and I get a bit nostalgic at seeing all the living presidents in one place, whatever one

thought of their politics. But there is definitely overkill in the ceremonies and coverage. I skip

the live coverage and just watch the few minutes on the ABC national news. That is plenty 

enough for me. When Carter dies I wonder if Bush II will substitute peanuts for candy.

Maybe they have the non-union postal workers working today. That could be.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Maybe they have the non-union postal workers working today. That could be.

That's a possibility. Tomorrow will be back to junk mail business.

7 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I doan like something I just heard, in his 41 eulogy by this Meacham schtootz. he attributes nafta to bush 41 which is accurate then he goes on to mutter complete gibberish about nafta being inproved by recent administrations...HS!

:angry:

it is president trump and only president trump who has trumpeted the failings of nafta and sought to correct them...

talk about politics. using a funeral to take a cheap shot atta guy who has the strength and resolve and refuses to crawl to your alter of selloutism. now bush 41 is being eulogized by one of the great premiere rinos of all time, alan simpson.

figures.

If that's the way you feel, you would have just "loved" John McCain's funeral.

19 hours ago, HIGHWAY said:

I can see the Joker is tampering with the cosmetics again. :blink::P:lol:

25qx1g7.jpg

Edited by hamradio
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, jakeem said:

Trumps arrive. He did not acknowledge his predecessors as he arrived. Mrs. Trump and President Obama shake hands. Once seated, the Obamas shake hands with him. Clintons, Carters never looked over to acknowledge him.

DtqhdDuWkAE-mUf.jpg

3 hours ago, jakeem said:

As a matter of fact, he did...

DtqzrfuWsAELlwJ.jpg

3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Fox News Anchor Says Trump's Arrival Created 'Chill' Among Attendees at George H.W. Bush's Funeral

....when President Trump and Melania Trump came to the front row that it was as if a chill had descended on that front row,” Wallace said. “You had seen a lot of chatty talk between the Clintons and the Obamas, the Carters. But when Donald Trump sat down, the greeting that he was given by Barack Obama and Michelle Obama was about as cool as it could have been," he said.

The Obamas greeted the Trumps, albeit with some apparent uneasiness from Michelle Obama, whose recently released memoir offered plenty of criticism of the commander in chief. Hillary Clinton looked and nodded as Bill Clinton shook Melania Trump's hand but did not formally greet either the president or the first lady. Bill Clinton and the president did not shake hands. 

"At that point they all stopped talking to each other,” Wallace said, noting the "ill feelings" between the current president and others sitting together at the front of the cathedral.

"I have to say that where you usually have a president’s club, and even people that ran against and maybe one beat the other, that doesn’t seem to have been extended to President Trump when you see them sitting in that front row."..........

https://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-host-donald-trump-funeral-chill-george-bush-hw-1245723?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=NewsweekTwitter

On NBC4, a news anchor was interviewing a teenager around 14 year old (guessing) in Houston paying his repects and he said George Bush was the greatest republican president since Reagan and before him James K. Polk (11th president).  The anchor said you must have been studying.   Apparently not enough - there were no republicans during the 1840's :lol:

true?wait=true

• Haha 3

I thought that George W. Bush was pretty much a disaster as President, and I was overjoyed when his eight years in the Oval Office finally came to an end.

But when he gave that heart felt eulogy to his father yesterday it was impossible not to be touched. It was undoubtedly the most difficult public address (about such a deeply personal matter) that he had ever given, and we all knew it.

Bush tried to hold back on the tears and almost made it until the very end. And when he chocked out his final words about his Dad hugging his baby sister, and holding his Mom's hand once again I bawled like a baby. The church burst into a prolonged applause as he finished to retake his seat, and, oh, how that man deserved it.

Bush has shown courage, graciousness, and dignity in this week of mourning, as has the entire Bush family. They have reason to hold their heads high at this moment of great personal loss and anguish for them.

181205123620-bush-breaks-down-funeral-la

Whatever I thought of him as a President aside, I'll always remember George W. Bush for this heart wrenching moment. He's a good man.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jakeem said:

Who the hell sits like this at a funeral?

ixI4IS4J?format=jpg&name=600x314

trump looks like he has an axe to grind with the deceased or maybe with the commentary about the deceased.

You have just got to contrast this presidential funeral line with the one during Mrs Barbara Bush's funeral,  just a few months ago. 

As you can recall, Obama sat next to Melania and had quite a bright conversation.

After the funeral, the Obamas, the Clintons, and the two Bush presidents, along with Laura Bush and Melania posed for what looked like a warm and happy family photo.

What a difference no-trump makes.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Vautrin said:

That's a possibility. Tomorrow will be back to junk mail business.

LOL! Back to normal. I did get a UPS pkg yesterday. At least they were working! Probably a ton of mail today....

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

I thought that George W. Bush was pretty much a disaster as President, and I was overjoyed when his eight years in the Oval Office finally came to an end.

But when he gave that heart felt eulogy to his father yesterday it was impossible not to be touched. It was undoubtedly the most difficult public address (about such a deep personal matter) that he had ever given, and we all knew it.

Bush tried to hold back on the tears and almost made it until the very end. And when he chocked out his final words about his Dad hugging his baby sister, and holding his Mom's hand once again I bawled like a baby. The church burst into a prolonged applause as he finished to retake his seat, and, oh, how that man deserved it.

Bush has shown courage, graciousness, and dignity in this week of mourning, as has the entire Bush family. They have reason to hold their heads high at this moment of great personal loss and anguish for them.

181205123620-bush-breaks-down-funeral-la

Whatever I thought of him as a President aside, I'll always remember George W. Bush for this heart wrenching moment. He's a good man.

Here's the full video by the way for anyone who hasn't seen it.

he heard the crack about recent administrations improving nafta and he knew he would have to listen to alotta phony HS.

ixI4IS4J?format=jpg&name=600x314

7 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL! Back to normal. I did get a UPS pkg yesterday. At least they were working! Probably a ton of mail today....

I channel surfed by CNN and they were showing the Bush train with a few people on the

side waving. Most had their phones out taking pictures. Yep sonny I was there when the

Bush train went by. 

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2018 at 4:36 PM, Vautrin said:

This is SOP for the death of powerful pols. Accentuate the good and downplay or

completely forget about the bad. I never watch these things because they take too long

and are so damn boring. The one thing I remember is Bush 41 pardoning Weinberger

and others for their roles in the Iran-Contra affair before they were ever called to

account. That was during Christmas and put a minor damper on it. I'm sure that's one

Bush action that Donny approves of. I looked in my mailbox today and found

one piece of mail, from the VFW of all places. I usually don't check my mail until late in

the afternoon so either some mail is being delivered or else the mailman was very very

late yesterday.

The post office did deliver medications on the 5th as I received one.  There were probably other things delivered as well.

On 12/5/2018 at 4:56 PM, Hibi said:

Actually in the olden days, the only three networks would have preempted most programming for much of what you do not wish to see.  Be thankful there are hundreds of alternatives to cable news.

1 minute ago, TheCid said:

Actually in the olden days, the only three networks would have preempted most programming for much of what you do not wish to see.  Be thankful there are hundreds of alternatives to cable news.

LOL. THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!