Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

ken berry dead at 85

16 posts in this topic

always thought ken was due for more praise as one of TVs best dads, sam jones.

• Like 4

Of course some of us remember watching him as Vicki Lawrence's son on Mama's Family.

R.I.P.

• Like 1

For me, Ken Barry will always be remembered as a singer/dancer.

As a kid, I was so excited every time he would be a guest star on "The Carol Burnett Show". Their dances together were wonderful! Too bad most of them are blocked on YouTube now.

Here is a great Barry performance I did find, however:

RIP, Mr. Barry. Thanks for all the great song and dance numbers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ken Berry was also a regular on The Ann Sothern Show. In a few episodes he had musical numbers with Ms. Sothern.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

As a kid, I was so excited every time he would be a guest star on "The Carol Burnett Show". Their dances together were wonderful! Too bad most of them are blocked on YouTube now.

Ken was a good tap dancer. And he was also an all-around good dancer. I wish you could see the " Fantasy Island " episode where he does these Fred Astaire- Ginger Rogers numbers.

He had a decent career on television, but I felt like he never was given enough opportunity to show his versatility as a dancer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Of course some of us remember watching him as Vicki Lawrence's son on Mama's Family.

R.I.P.

My grandma loved that show and showed it to me a few times. I never really cared for it much but he was enjoyable in that role as you said. One of the better parts of the show. 

• Like 1

When Ken Berry was married to Jackie Joseph (a favorite of mine), they had an antique shop called "It's the Berrys."

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Ken was a good tap dancer. And he was also an all-around good dancer. I wish you could see the " Fantasy Island " episode where he does these Fred Astaire- Ginger Rogers numbers.

He had a decent career on television, but I felt like he never was given enough opportunity to show his versatility as a dancer.

Ken was a great dancer. I feel like maybe he came around too late. Maybe if he had been around in the early to mid-40s, he might have had a greater dance career. Especially in all those musicals. 

7 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Ken was a great dancer. I feel like maybe he came around too late. Maybe if he had been around in the early to mid-40s, he might have had a greater dance career. Especially in all those musicals. 

Funny, that all I ever remember him was mostly from F-Troop and Mayberry, never knew he was a dancer.

Me too. Thanks so much for posting that video, sage.

I can't even picture Berry as 85 y/o, he had such a baby face. Although not gracing us with dancing, at least he had enough talent to be working steadily through the years.

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Funny, that all I ever remember him was mostly from F-Troop and Mayberry, never knew he was a dancer.

I do remember an article in my local paper's TV book, when F-TROOP was still on the air, that Berry was a dancer before breaking into acting.  And  shortly after reading that, I saw a rerun of a DICK VAN DYKE show in which Berry was supposedly, a dancer on The Alan Brady show, and was trying to show Rob how to gracefully take a fall or something to that effect.

And, from one Ken to another;  Rest In Peace, Mr. Berry  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Wow. I've never seen him do such a long number. He was amazing! He will forever be my first and only Wilton Parmenter. You know, it's funny. I had a hankerin' for some F-Troop this weekend. He was so physical on that show, pratfalls and the like. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, drednm said:

When Ken Berry was married to Jackie Joseph (a favorite of mine), they had an antique shop called "It's the Berrys."

Wasn’t Jackie one of the founding members of the First Wives Club? Ken has been out of the spotlight for a while so when he died this weekend, the first thing I thought was about that fact. I liked him well enough but I imagine when his star was rising he wasn’t the best husband. 

I recall Jackie Joseph fondly since when I was child she hosted a local So Cal morning program.   I just found her to be funny regardless of what she was talking about!

Jackie and Ken can be seen on the game show Tattletales.    

Image result for jackie joseph

• Like 1