Sign in to follow this  
Devin Garner

Famous Actors born 12/3

7 posts in this topic

Wait! And yet no mention at all of Marie Mosquini (Dec 3, 1899-Feb 21, 1983), and perhaps best remembered in 7th Heaven, Safety Last!, All Aboard, Good and Naughty and On the Fire...1850.jpg

...nor of Anna Sten (Dec 3, 1908-Nov 12, 1993), and perhaps best remembered in We Live Again, Soldier of Fortune, The Man I Married, The Wedding Night and The Nun and the Sergeant...3033.jpg

?

(...dude, you DO know that this is a CLASSIC movie website here, don't ya?!) ;)

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

...nor of Anna Sten (Dec 3, 1908-Nov 12, 1993), and perhaps best remembered in We Live Again, Soldier of Fortune, The Man I Married, The Wedding Night and The Nun and the Sergeant...3033.jpg

I just watched something yesterday with her in it-- LET'S LIVE A LITTLE (1948). She's third-billed, Hedy Lamarr has the lead role, but I thought she was fantastic and the most interesting one in the movie.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I just watched a film yesterday with her in it-- LET'S LIVE A LITTLE (1948). She's third-billed, Hedy Lamarr has the lead role, but I thought she was fantastic and the most interesting one in the movie. 

Hey TB, did you know the following about Anna here? Especially the last sentence in this excerpt from her Wiki bio page? Gotta say I didn't.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...She came to the attention of American movie mogul Samuel Goldwyn. Goldwyn was looking for a foreign-born actress that he could build up as a rival to Greta Garbo, and possible successor to Vilma Bánky, with whom Goldwyn had great success in the silent era. For two years after bringing Sten to America, Goldwyn had his new star tutored in English and taught Hollywood screen acting methods. He poured a great deal of time and money into Sten's first American film, Nana (1934), a somewhat homogenized version of Émile Zola's scandalous 19th century novel. But the film was not successful at the box office, nor were her two subsequent Goldwyn films, We Live Again (1934) and The Wedding Night (1935), playing opposite Gary Cooper. Reluctantly, Goldwyn dissolved his contract with his "new Garbo."[2][3] Goldwyn's tutoring of Sten is mentioned in Cole Porter's 1934 song "Anything Goes" from the musical of the same name: "When Sam Goldwyn can with great conviction / Instruct Anna Sten in diction / Then Anna shows / Anything goes."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(...interesting, isn't it...btw, I don't know why exactly, but the name "Vilma Banky" always makes me chuckle a bit...LOVE that name!)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Hey TB, did you know the following about Anna here? Especially the last sentence in this excerpt from her Wiki bio page? Gotta say I didn't.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...She came to the attention of American movie mogul Samuel Goldwyn. Goldwyn was looking for a foreign-born actress that he could build up as a rival to Greta Garbo, and possible successor to Vilma Bánky, with whom Goldwyn had great success in the silent era. For two years after bringing Sten to America, Goldwyn had his new star tutored in English and taught Hollywood screen acting methods. He poured a great deal of time and money into Sten's first American film, Nana (1934), a somewhat homogenized version of Émile Zola's scandalous 19th century novel. But the film was not successful at the box office, nor were her two subsequent Goldwyn films, We Live Again (1934) and The Wedding Night (1935), playing opposite Gary Cooper. Reluctantly, Goldwyn dissolved his contract with his "new Garbo."[2][3] Goldwyn's tutoring of Sten is mentioned in Cole Porter's 1934 song "Anything Goes" from the musical of the same name: "When Sam Goldwyn can with great conviction / Instruct Anna Sten in diction / Then Anna shows / Anything goes."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(...interesting, isn't it...btw, I don't know why exactly, but the name "Vilma Banky" always makes me chuckle a bit...LOVE that name!)

I'd forgotten about the Cole Porter reference to her early Hollywood career. Around the time Goldwyn dropped her, she married producer Eugene Frenke and he guided her career from that point forward.

screen-shot-2018-12-03-at-8-53-11-pm.jpg

• Like 1

Can we jump to Dec 4th? My gal Deanna Durbin was born Dec 4th, 1921!

Annex%20-%20Durbin,%20Deanna_07.jpg