Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

Bye Bye Birdie Live

36 posts in this topic

Has anybody herd anything about Bye Bye Birdie Live coming to NBC yet?  It looks like Hair will be the live musical this year.  But it,s supposed to be Bye Bye Birdie with Jeniffer Lopez as Rosie.  I hope it,s on this year.  I,m really looking forward to it.  It,s one of my very favorite Broadway musicals.

• Like 2

Apparently it has been delayed until 2019 because of Jennifer Lopez' busy schedule.

Per Wikipedia:

On October 27, 2016 it was announced that Jennifer Lopez will star in NBC's Bye Bye Birdie Live as Rose "Rosie" Alvarez and executive produce with her producing partners Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas and Benny Medina alongside film, TV, and live musical executive producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron. The live television musical was initially announced to premiere in December 2017, but on May 25, 2017, it was announced that it would be pushed to sometime in 2018 to accommodate Lopez's busy schedule. On March 2, 2018, it was announced that the production had been pushed back once again, this time to 2019 at the earliest due to Lopez's busy schedule and the producers focusing on Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert. However, in May 2018, NBC announced that it planned to broadcast a live production of Hair in 2019, leaving the fate of Bye Bye Birdie unclear.

Hrmph...Networks!

What's the matter with networks today?

Networks! They'll change the schedule on ya and cause dismay!

Why can they be like we were, perfect in every way?! What's the matter with networks today?

(...especially that NBC)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Hrmph...Networks!

What's the matter with Networks today?

Networks! They'll change the schedule on ya and cause dismay!

Why can they be like we were, perfect in every way?! What's the matter with Networks today?

(...especially that NBC)

They gotta be sincere.

They gotta feel it here.

'Cause if they feel it here, they're gonna be honestly sincere.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Im4movies2 said:

Why Jennifer Lopez in the first place?  For cry not loud get someone else and be done with it!

Maybe 'cause she's the one executive producing it?!

OR as I've ALSO heard, anybody who dare suggests such a thing would prompt J-Lo sending her boyfriend A-Rod to their house for a little attitude adjustment, and with his bat.

(...of course this second one here is probably just a vicious rumor)

28 minutes ago, Im4movies2 said:

Why Jennifer Lopez in the first place?

Hey! Don't hate her for the rocks that she's got! She's just she's just Jenny from the block!

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Hey! Don't hate her for the rocks that she's got! She's just she's just Jenny from the block!

[Her] love don't cost a thing.

• Haha 2

Not that I'm emotionally invested in this at all (As much as I love musicals, I am not interested in these live adaptations.  The first time they did it, with Peter Pan I think, it was a curiosity.  Now it seems monotonous), but I hope they cast someone younger to play Conrad Birdie than they did for the movie.  I really enjoy the 1963 movie version, but have never really bought why a bunch of teenage girls, even "teenage" Ann-Margret, would be interested in him.  He looked like somebody's dad! I wonder how the film would have been if they would have been able to cast their first choice, Elvis. 

My favorite part of the movie is either the "Got a Whole Lot of Livin' to Do" part with the crazy dance, or Janet Leigh's wild dance with all the guys wearing Fezes (sp?). 

5 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Well, that pretty much exhausts my knowledge of Jennifer Lopez songs, so I can't one up you!

"...Waiting for tonight OH..." 

6 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Well, that pretty much exhausts my knowledge of Jennifer Lopez songs, so I can't one up you!

Wow! And here I thought those might have been some lyrics from Bye Bye Birdie that I had forgotten!!!

(...shows ya just how much I keep up with music since The Cars disbanded, doesn't it?!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dargo, hope you caught a reunited Cars (sadly minus Ben Orr, of course) performing when they were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame last year! I think you can find it all on YouTube. 

• Thanks 1

"Big. Big Booty. What you got a big booty." 

This completes my knowledge of J. Lo songs.  

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

Dargo, hope you caught a reunited Cars (sadly minus Ben Orr, of course) performing when they were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame last year! I think you can find it all on YouTube. 

I just want it noted that I am a bigger fan of The Cars than I am of J.Lo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, sewhite2000 said:

Thanks, sewhite! I'll check that out.

It appears you might think that's just what I needed to let the good times roll, huh!

(...and you'd be right)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

It appears you might think that's just what I needed to let the good times roll, huh!

(...and you'd be right)

Right now I feel like I'm Moving in StereoLet's Go!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...and you'd be right)

Unfortunately Dargo, "you're all I got tonight" !    :lol:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Unfortunately Dargo, "you're all I got tonight" !    :lol:

LOL

So, in so many words here you're sayin' "I'm Not The One" then, right Gerald???

(...sure took me a while to think this one up, didn't it)

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

They gotta be sincere.

They gotta feel it here.

'Cause if they feel it here, they're gonna be honestly sincere.

Now WAIT a second here, Eric!

I always thought it was..."You gotta have heart! Miles 'n miles 'n miles of heart"?!!!

(...oh...wait...different musical here, huh...never mind)

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...and you'd be right)

Just make you know for sure who's going to drive you home tonight.

11 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Just make you know for sure who's going to drive you home tonight.

Candy-o!

10 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Has anybody herd anything about Bye Bye Birdie Live coming to NBC yet?  It looks like Hair will be the live musical this year.  But it,s supposed to be Bye Bye Birdie with Jeniffer Lopez as Rosie.  I hope it,s on this year.  I,m really looking forward to it.  It,s one of my very favorite Broadway musicals.

Well, I'M looking forward to when you finally get the hang of that proper APOSTROPHE usage.  ;)

Sepiatone

On 12/3/2018 at 10:44 PM, speedracer5 said:

Not that I'm emotionally invested in this at all (As much as I love musicals, I am not interested in these live adaptations.  The first time they did it, with Peter Pan I think, it was a curiosity.  Now it seems monotonous), but I hope they cast someone younger to play Conrad Birdie than they did for the movie.  I really enjoy the 1963 movie version, but have never really bought why a bunch of teenage girls, even "teenage" Ann-Margret, would be interested in him.  He looked like somebody's dad! I wonder how the film would have been if they would have been able to cast their first choice, Elvis. 

My favorite part of the movie is either the "Got a Whole Lot of Livin' to Do" part with the crazy dance, or Janet Leigh's wild dance with all the guys wearing Fezes (sp?). 

Coulda been worse. They coulda cast Conway Twitty over Jesse Pearson and then you would really wonder about why any teenage girls would faint. Speaking of performers who did not turn on teenage girls, my relatives' daughter always laughs about the show, Jersey Boys saying that no teenage girls she knew ever in a million years thought the Four Seasons and particularly the lead singer, were even slightly attractive. She says their songs were popular but the group looked like a bunch of old lounge singers from New Jersey or looked like they were from the Bizarro world. The guys they thought were attractive were people like Elvis, the Beatles or someone who looked young not like the Frankie Valli who looked creepy and dressed like an old man.

Speaking of Pearson's casting, since he looked a bit like Dick Gautier who played it on Broadway, maybe that's why they choose him. Dick played the part very tongue in cheek, and I think Pearson tried to a bit emulate his style. The comparison to Elvis at the time was believed apt, though it was a much more exaggerated version comedically.