Sign in to follow this  
Sgt_Markoff

Worst movie from your favorite talents...

7 posts in this topic

Just for fun. Can be any star from in front of --or behind --the camera.

For example, I like Gene Hackman in almost anything from his heyday but there's a couple flicks of his which I have zero interest in.

"Zandy's Bride" for one. Gorgeous western cinematography, but Hackman plays a hard-nosed and unpleasant SOB. Practically a wife-beater. Even if I could stomach that, the wife in question is the singularly homely Sarah Miles? Vera Miles? (sometimes just can't keep those two straight).

Discuss.

p.s. keep it clean! No expletives, please.

Jimmy Stewart's worst film is undoubtedly the one where he played the harried father of a young boy (played by Billy Mumy?) obsessed with --and writing letters to --Brigitte Bardot. Its so bad I don't even want to remember the name of it.

One film contains my least favorite performances from two of my favorite stars. Although in real life, they became good friends on this assignment.

'Rachel and the Stranger' with Loretta Young, Robert Mitchum, and William Holden. A rather pointless frontier romance.

Cary Grant's least-enjoyable performance: he plays an XMAS-minded 'angel' in 'The Bishop's Wife'. Yuck.

On 12/9/2018 at 7:09 AM, Sgt_Markoff said:

'Rachel and the Stranger' with Loretta Young, Robert Mitchum, and William Holden. A rather pointless frontier romance.

It was RKO's biggest hit in 1948. I've read the short story, by author Howard Fast. It's amazing they were able to get 80 minutes from it. It's a character study more than anything.

• Like 1

So odd to learn this. Thx. But y'know its uncannily true that there's some year's harvests of titles where the apparently mediocre flicks were the ones which made the box office percolate and rose --like cream or crust--to the top of the churn. 'Saratoga Trunk' comes to mind, whatever year that was.

Next: Spencer Tracy. Does he have a real clinker laying in the bottom of the grate?

I'd have to ponder this one a bit; but I'm thinking it may be "Edward, My Son".