Sign in to follow this  
NickAndNora34

2019 TCM Big Screen Classics

33 posts in this topic

Well, there's NO TELLING with these guys.

I'm still disappointed that this year nobody saw fit to have any theatrical 50th anniversary showings of HEAD, with The Monkees!  :(

Sepiatone

On 12/27/2018 at 12:17 PM, kingrat said:

Sepia, if you lived in California you'd probably say, "It's only a 45-minute drive. Except when it takes an hour and 45 minutes."

You're not kidding,kingrat ! I once drove from just east of Sacramento, CA, directly north to Medford, OR for a job interview. After driving for 5.5 hours, I couldn't believe I was STILL in Ca! 😲

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lost In Space said:

On TCM, the previews show The Wizard Of Oz in widescreen. I was under the impression it was not filmed in widescreen. How was it filmed? If not widescreen, how does it magically appear that way?

The Wizard of Oz was shot in the 1.37: 1 aspect ratio, closest to the "standard" square of older standard definition TV's, which was the normal AR for films of the time.

It's possible that they "zoomed" in on the image, losing the top and/or bottom of the original image, in order to make it fill up a 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 widescreen theater setting, or 16:9 widescreen TV image,

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The Wizard of Oz was shot in the 1.37: 1 aspect ratio, closest to the "standard" square of older standard definition TV's, which was the normal AR for films of the time.

It's possible that they "zoomed" in on the image, losing the top and/or bottom of the original image, in order to make it fill up a 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 widescreen theater setting, or 16:9 widescreen TV image,

I agree with you, Lawrence, that they zoomed in for the TCM promo.  Sorry to say it is a bit of deceptive advertising in that regard.  The trailer on the Fathom Events web site uses a different approach by placing information on the right side of the image to fill out the frame:

yGjraft.jpg

I couldn't see them zooming in for the actual theatrical presentation.  Wouldn't the point be to see it in the same way it was originally shown?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wizard of Oz, True Grit (the original 1969 version), and Glory are the movies that I'm possibly interested in seeing.

I just got my tickets for The Wizard of Oz on 1/30.  I looked at the availability for the show this morning and the top section was already over half sold-out.  I decided to jump on it now.  If I waited until closer to the show, the good seats would probably be gone.  

The Wizard of Oz is one of those movies that I maybe watch once a year and that is sufficient.  I've never seen it in the theater, so I thought that'd be fun.

I'm also excited because the old movie theater in my hometown just released their schedule for their Wednesday Night film series. A lot of great movies scheduled:

1/16 Moby Dick

1/30 The African Queen

2/13 Ferris Bueller's Day Off

2/27 All About Eve

3/13 It Happened One Night

1/27 Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

4/10 Charade

4/17 Calamity Jane

5/1 Raiders of the Lost Ark

5/15 Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

6/12 High Noon

6/26 Notorious

I'm probably going to go see All About Eve, It Happened One Night, and Notorious.  I would go see The African Queen, but it's at the same time as The Wizard of Oz.  I'd also go see Charade, but I'm on vacation that day.  

It makes me happy that old movies still have a place in modern culture and that more and more movie theaters are opting to showcase these films.  Seeing that everything is digital these days, it cannot cost them much money-wise.  I notice that the Fathom events seem to be gaining in popularity.  White Christmas was sold out in December.  With the way that The Wizard of Oz is selling, I'm sure that my showing will be sold-out by the time we go. 

In Portland, there is the Hollywood Theater in the Hollywood District in NE Portland and they have a classic film series.  They actually show 35 mm films on reels, so you have all the clicks and pops and occasional spots on the film.  I watched An American in Paris there a few months ago.  It was a different experience actually watching a movie on real film, versus digital. 

The Portland Art Museum downtown also shows old films, when they fit whatever theme has been chosen for that season.  This past weekend, they featured Ida Lupino's directorial efforts and viewed The Bigamist, The Hitchhiker, and Not Wanted.  This is the venue that showed Bette Davis' amazing camp noir, Beyond the Forest.  The only drawback to this venue is that you can hear the light rail train approaching.  This venue also caters mainly toward members of the museum and of the film group.  I was among the younger people in the crowd.  Lol. 

• Thanks 1

For anyone who may be attending the showing of MY FAIR LADY this week (Feb 17 and 20th.):

Remember, because of the length of the film, the matinee will be starting at 1 pm instead of the usual 2 pm.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sagebrush said:

For anyone who may be attending the showing of MY FAIR LADY this week (Feb 17 and 20th.):

Remember, because of the length of the film, the matinee will be starting at 1 pm instead of the usual 2 pm.

I am planning on going to see it tomorrow at 1 pm. I'm excited, although I have seen it dozens of times, but never on the big screen. 

• Like 1