Sign in to follow this  
NickAndNora34

2019 TCM Big Screen Classics

23 posts in this topic

I just saw the lineup of big screen classics on the Fathom Events home-page, and the lineup is exciting (for me, at least). 

January 27, 29, & 30: The Wizard of Oz (1939)

February 17, 20: My Fair Lady (1964) 

March 24, 27: To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) 

April 14, 17: Ben Hur (1959)

May 5, 8: True Grit (1969)

May 19, 21, 22: Steel Magnolias  (1989)

June 16, 18: Field of Dreams (1989) 

July 21, 24: Glory (1989) 

August 11, 14: Hello, Dolly! (1969) 

September 1, 4: Lawrence of Arabia (1962) 

September 22, 24, 25: The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

October 13, 15, 16: Alien (1979)

December 1, 3: When Harry Met Sally (1989) 

I’ve only seen about 8 of these, but I’m most likely going to go see every single one in theaters. I love TCM’s big screen series. It gives me a chance to see a bunch of films on the big screen that were released before I was born. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have seen all but one, and all that I have seen are good films. I think Ben-Hur would look most impressive on the big screen.... but I have a hunch that Alien would get the biggest audience responce, with that one particularly famous/infamous scene.

• Thanks 1

I think the ones that look most interesting to me are: The Wizard of Oz, My Fair Lady and To Kill a Mockingbird.  I might see The Shawshank Redemption as well.  I'm not so sure about the other ones.  I can't sit through Ben Hur, with the exception of the chariot race, I find the movie boring.

I was hoping it would have more films from 1939, as kind of an 80 year anniversary of "the greatest year in the history of Hollywood."

• Like 2

Boy, I don't know where the years go. I saw a Sony-sponsored 20th anniversary release of The Shawshank Redemption in 2014 that had nothing to do with TCM. I swear to me that doesn't feel like more than a year or two ago, but now it's time for the 25th anniversary release.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Boy, I don't know where the years go. I saw a Sony-sponsored 20th anniversary release of The Shawshank Redemption in 2014 that had nothing to do with TCM. I swear to me that doesn't feel like more than a year or two ago, but now it's time for the 25th anniversary release.

I still clearly recall seeing The Shawshank Redemption in 1994! I went to see Pulp Fiction and was disappointed in it, so I went to see The Shawshank Redemption that same day, on the next screen over. I liked it much more than Pulp Fiction at the time, and it certainly doesn't feel like 25 years ago.

• Like 1

I think I still like Pulp Fiction, although it's been a long time since I've seen it - well before my re-watching of Shawshank five years ago. I know it was considered the hipper option in what was essentially a two-picture race between it and the more conservative Forrest GumpShawshank was also nominated but considered an extreme long shot at the time. It gained more acclaim over its many years of home viewing.

5 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I was hoping it would have more films from 1939, as kind of an 80 year anniversary of "the greatest year in the history of Hollywood."

I would have liked more films from 1939 as well.  I don't particularly need to go see Field of Dreams or When Harry Met Sally in the theater.  

From 1939, I would have loved to have seen Dodge City and Only Angels Have Wings.  Of course, I don't think those films have a big enough following like The Wizard of Oz to be worth scheduling a nationwide event.  I noticed that they added a third day to the showings as well.

Someday, maybe they'll show The Long, Long Trailer! lol. I can only dream.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I think the ones that look most interesting to me are: The Wizard of Oz, My Fair Lady and To Kill a Mockingbird.  I might see The Shawshank Redemption as well.  I'm not so sure about the other ones.  I can't sit through Ben Hur, with the exception of the chariot race, I find the movie boring.

I’ve never seen Ben Hur, but I’m thinking I might just watch this one at home due to the fact that I don’t think I’d be super interested in the story. 

Ah, to see My Fair Lady for the umpteenth time. I love it so much I’ll pay to see it in theaters, even though I own the Blu Ray. 

I never seem to recall any TCM film features coming to MY neck of the woods, so do I have to go to California for these?

Sure, I got no OTHER life to live. :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

8 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I’ve never seen Ben Hur, but I’m thinking I might just watch this one at home due to the fact that I don’t think I’d be super interested in the story. 

Ah, to see My Fair Lady for the umpteenth time. I love it so much I’ll pay to see it in theaters, even though I own the Blu Ray. 

I've seen Singin' in the Rain in the theater like 3 times and I have the blu ray.  Lol. The only thing that really bothers me about My Fair Lady is Marni Nixon's vocals for Audrey Hepburn.  They just don't match her voice!

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I never seem to recall any TCM film features coming to MY neck of the woods, so do I have to go to California for these?

Sure, I got no OTHER life to live. :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

Here's a link to the Fathom Events page, and the TCM Big Screen Classics line-up. If you type your city or zip code where it asks you to, it will show you where the closest theaters are that are showing these movies.

https://www.fathomevents.com/series/tcm-big-screen-classics

Yeah, well, the closest theater(according to the site) is still a good 45+ minute drive from where I live.  So.....

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Yeah, well, the closest theater(according to the site) is still a good 45+ minute drive from where I live.  So.....

Sepiatone

I'm in the same boat. The closest showings to me are farther than it's worth to travel for such a thing.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

In almost the same boat. Nearest theatre that is doing this is about 35 miles away

Thanks for the information “NickAndNora34”, interesting idea occasionally showing movie classics in theatres but I’ve seen all those movies you’ve listed numerous times without leaving my TCM fed HD “theatre” sized monster – as always, if I am going to drive somewhere to be entertained I prefer the entertainment to be performed “live” by those possessing talent beyond my own ability to participate.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 5:01 AM, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

I'm very lucky regarding this situation. I don't live in a big city or even right outside of a big city, yet there are three theatres within ten miles of my apartment that routinely show the Big Screen Classics.

I think they are also showing WHITE CHRISTMAS.

Our film group is showing WC as our season finale this Monday. Musicals like this are fun to watch with other classic film lovers. Our screening space only allows about 100 people, so it's like a big party. Members rarely talk during the feature (like they will in a theater) but you can feel everyone around you reacting to the movie, often with spontaneous applause after a great song/dance number. 

One recent feature, when the villain was on screen, some people hissed at him!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I think they are also showing WHITE CHRISTMAS.

Our film group is showing WC as our season finale this Monday. Musicals like this are fun to watch with other classic film lovers. Our screening space only allows about 100 people, so it's like a big party. Members rarely talk during the feature (like they will in a theater) but you can feel everyone around you reacting to the movie, often with spontaneous applause after a great song/dance number. 

One recent feature, when the villain was on screen, some people hissed at him!

White Christmas is showing this month.  Today actually and Wednesday.  I already have my seats reserved for the Wednesday at 7pm showing.  It's almost sold out.  Only seats in the front are available.  I bought my seats a month ago.  My husband and I are going to make it a date night (lol) and hit up maybe an early bird special or a happy hour somewhere, probably go over near the theater, browse Powell's Books and then see White Christmas.  

I'm already planning on The Wizard of Oz next month.  There are really only a handful of the 2019 films that I'm interested in seeing in the theater.  Hopefully other Portland-area theaters will make up for the lack of old classic films featured in the Fathom events.  I actually just borrowed Steel Magnolias from the library a couple weeks ago, because I've never seen it.  After seeing Sally Field a couple weeks ago and getting an autographed copy of her book, I'm kind of in a Sally Field phase.  I'm bummed that my recording of Norma Rae didn't take, not sure what happened.  The film is modern enough though that I should be able to find it at the library. 

23 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

White Christmas is showing this month.  Today actually and Wednesday.  I already have my seats reserved for the Wednesday at 7pm showing.  It's almost sold out.  Only seats in the front are available.  I bought my seats a month ago.  My husband and I are going to make it a date night (lol) and hit up maybe an early bird special or a happy hour somewhere, probably go over near the theater, browse Powell's Books and then see White Christmas.  

I'm already planning on The Wizard of Oz next month.  There are really only a handful of the 2019 films that I'm interested in seeing in the theater.  Hopefully other Portland-area theaters will make up for the lack of old classic films featured in the Fathom events.  I actually just borrowed Steel Magnolias from the library a couple weeks ago, because I've never seen it.  After seeing Sally Field a couple weeks ago and getting an autographed copy of her book, I'm kind of in a Sally Field phase.  I'm bummed that my recording of Norma Rae didn't take, not sure what happened.  The film is modern enough though that I should be able to find it at the library. 

Sally Field was very cute in the recent “Hello My Name is Doris.” 

• Like 1

At least with us living in the digital age, we have the option to rent the movie via streaming sites for significantly cheaper than the price of a movie ticket. There are theaters close enough to where I live, so I’d like to try to make it for at least Hello Dolly, My Fair Lady, Alien, and Wizard of Oz.