Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

I am thrilled to pieces with TCM ON HULU, EXCEPT FOR ONE THING

42 posts in this topic

The following is not a paid advertisement, it just seems like from time to time we discuss in the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS thread the various means and methods we use to view TCM in this MODERN TECHNOLOGICAL DYSTOPIA IN WHICH WE DESPAIR and I think I am on to something good here...

Soes, for various reasons, I am making the switch from SPECTRUM CABLE to HULU and I was extremely wary at first about it- even though I DESPISE Spectrum, I was worried about what TCM OPTIONS there would be.

A nice young lady came to my house to set it up and I screamed in horror when the first thing that appeared on the "recommended for you" home screen was the SIX HEADED HYDRA OF THE KARDASHIA MONSTER.

"Don't worry"- the lady said- "it'll figure out what you like."

the following is more or less a recreation of the dialogue that followed:

INSTALLATION LADY: So what networks do you want to make favorites?

LHF: (reclining on chaise) TCM.

INSTALLATION LADY: OK. (clicks button, makes TCM a FAVORITE CHANNEL [or whatever]) Now what else?

LHF: That's it.

INSTALLATION LADY: Well, what shows do you like?

LHF: (blank look)

INSTALLATION LADY: What TV Shows? GAME OF THRONES? THE WALKING DEAD? THIS IS US?

(LHF gives the "I don't know her" head shake)

INSTALLATION LADY: FRIENDS? SEINFELD?

LHF: Nope.

INSTALLATION LADY: You don't want any other networks? AMC?

(another SCREAM in HORROR)

INSTALLATION LADY: PBS? NatGEO? CNN? A&E?

LHF: No, not particularly. I mean, I guess MSNBC...Although it's trash and I shouldn't.

INSTALLATION LADY: OOOOk. (clicks) I'm guessing no SPORTS PACKAGES for you either.

LHF: Gurl, you got me pegged....

Anyhoo, soes she leaves me to it and I AM THRILLED TO DISCOVER THAT TCM ON HULU includes both TCM WEST and TCM EAST feeds so I can catch the stuff they show later. It also includes about 2/3 of what has played on TCM within a three week period. It also has a "suggestions" button that has me down after a few choices I have made.

You can also pause live tv, which I discovered today watching BONNIE SCOTLAND.

I've watched HIS KIND OF WOMAN and DR X and THE BODY SNATCHER and JIMMY THE GENT and GRAND SLAM and THE KENNEL MURDER CASE and ALL KINDS OF stuff I can't even remember. It's been A LONG TIME since I've immersed meself so deep in the classics. Haven't watched another thing since getting it.

my AMAZON PRIME is cold and lonely and my NETFLIX remains untouched.

BEST OF ALL: THERE IS NO SOUND SYNC ISSUE OR PICTURE LAG WITH WATCHING LIVE TV ON HULU.

SERIOUSLY, THAT HAD RUINED OVER TWO DOZEN VIEWING EXPERIENCES IN THE PAST 18 MONTHS TRYING TO WATCH Live TV ON TCM. It was HEARTBREAKING. A few people have written me to ask why I don't participate in the FILM NOIR thread anymore and the reason is 100% because EVERY SINGLE FILM i try to watch LIVE on NOIR ALLEY goes out of sync because SPECTRUM SUCKs.

no more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

FIGURED I should just start a new post to get into the ONE ISSUE I HAVE (thus far) WITH HULU, AND this is maybe something the more technologically inclined of you can help me with:

Once a movie finishes playing it removes itself from the selection and CANNOT be located or rewatched.

I fell asleep watching OBSESSION and left HANGMEN ALSO DIE! playing by accident- so I missed the endings to both and when I tried to track them down NEITHER has been ANYWHERE to be found. Not in the recommendations or "you might like" or the "A to Z selection of all shows on TCM" or even in the search function.

THERE IS NO "FILMS (OR SHOWS) YOU'VE WATCHED" option on the main menu and that is A PROBLEM.

i was able to find OBSESSION online and finish it that way, but I am REALLY MOST DISPLEASED that I cannot locate HANGMEN ALSO DIE because it was AWESOME and I have missed it every time it has come on TCM for the last decade.

Oh, and HULU seems to have a DVR function that is (unlike Spectrum's) NOT COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY ******** IMPOSSIBLE TO WORK OR LOCATE TO THE POINT OF DRIVING ME COMPLETELY MAD.

(i have not used it yet tho.)

Hip hip hooray.

Okay now on the "live TV" part (I don't mean to put you on the spot here - anyone can fill in the blanks):

1) Are you saying you can watch TCM live (the same as with cable)?

2) They only show about 2/3 of TCM's actual programming?  Does that mean the other 1/3 isn't live?  What do they show?  Do they fill it in with other movies or show more repeats?

3) If I am correct in understanding that it is "live", does that mean it is NOT like Amazon or Netflix, where you have a list of movies you can choose from?

[I'm a satellite user, so I just haven't been following this.  Not the least bit.]

Once a movie finishes playing it removes itself from the selection and CANNOT be located or rewatched.

Sounds like anything is only allowed to play just once, like a pay per view movie on cable or satellite (if that actually still exists).  Do they have another tier where replay might be offered?  If not, you might have to get into the practice of recording what you watch, as it plays.  There are at least a couple different ways to do that, any would require additional equipment.  It is all just a matter of time, money and determination.

P.S. Oops I see in your next post that you are still on a learning curve with so-called "DVR" functions.  Keep us posted.

[This wouldn't be so much for me, I have a system that works for me, but just so I can gain an understanding - maybe for someone else down the line.]

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Hip hip hooray.

Okay now on the "live TV" part (I don't mean to put you on the spot here - anyone can fill in the blanks):

(ME IN RED- NOTE, THERE ARE A COUPLE OF ALL-CAPS SECTIONS IN REPLIES, IT'S BECAUSE I DIDN'T TAKE THE CAPS LOCK OFF, NOT BECAUSE I'M MAD)- LHF

1) Are you saying you can watch TCM live (the same as with cable)?

YES. And (again) you can pause live television. And again, there is a TCM EAST AND WEST COAST FEED- so if you live on the east coast (like me) you can catch something from three hours ago you might've missed, which has come in handy as hell!

2) They only show about 2/3 of TCM's actual programming?  Does that mean the other 1/3 isn't live?  What do they show?  Do they fill it in with other movies or show more repeats?

No, YOU CAN WATCH LIVE TCM AT ANY TIME JUST LIKE REGULAR CABLE! . There is a BONUS "On Demand" library of titles that have aired (and some that have yet to air!!!!) that you can choose from at any time if you don't want to watch what is currently playing on TCM (East OR West!)

3) If I am correct in understanding that it is "live", does that mean it is NOT like Amazon or Netflix, where you have a list of movies you can choose from?

[I'm a satellite user, so I just haven't been following this.  Not the least bit.]

It's BOTH! Live TCM and an ON DEMAND Library of titles you can choose from at any time- again, it's not EVERYTHING EVERYTHING that has aired over  the past two weeks, but it is A LOT OF STUFF!

• Like 2

I will never buy a smart TV with alotta subscription services I will never use. you want something than you go about getting it the decent way.

download, convert and burn.

"no better sleeping pill." -dick proenneke

:D

Off the top of my head, I'd say that there's about 50-60 movies that have aired on TCM (or are going to air) that you can choose from AT ANY TIME. I am not sure about how often they add and remove titles from the selection, but it is MUCH BETTER than what SPECTRUM ON DEMAND offered

SPECTRUM AT DEMAND had- at most- 20 titles available and rarely were any interesting to me (either POPULAR movies or PUBLIC DOMAIN stuff)

I have an on demand service I use some time when I'm very bored. I give it alotta slack since alotta old stuff like low-budget 1950s technicolor westerns suffer from frame jumping.

the keen-eyed space cadet can see it.

:)

I too am happy for you Lorna. I use Xfinity/Comcast. I understand about cord cutting and follow it on the Internet. I do watch other channels besides TCM, although it gets the most viewing in our home. My Mom would kill me if I handed her a remote control without a 10 key set. Streaming remotes don't have that.

I will say to MCOH, AT&T has just announced they will not replace the DirecTV satellites. No time line, but DirecTV will become a streaming product one day.

I am excited with what you have written Lorna. I live on the West Coast, so Prime Time is at 5PM, and we watch the news. So having East/West would be a plus. We pretty much never use On Demand but do use the DVR.

The first post here Lorna, was very entertaining. Thank you. A plus to Hulu (and everyone else) is you only pay by the month. Don't like it ... change. Of the major streaming companies, almost everyone has TCM in their lineup. If it is true you only watch TCM, I would have suggested Sling TV with the extra Hollywood package. You would also get The Film Detective. CigarJoe has talked about Sling TV recently.

I believe the plus to streaming TCM is better than cable. I might consider reducing my cable package and adding Sling TV.

54 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Off the top of my head, I'd say that there's about 50-60 movies that have aired on TCM (or are going to air) that you can choose from AT ANY TIME. I am not sure about how often they add and remove titles from the selection, but it is MUCH BETTER than what SPECTRUM ON DEMAND offered

SPECTRUM AT DEMAND had- at most- 20 titles available and rarely were any interesting to me (either POPULAR movies or PUBLIC DOMAIN stuff)

I've noticed that the Dish On-Demand for TCM has anywhere between one to two dozen of the most recently aired films.  They stay available on-demand for about a week or two.  But the Dish Anywhere app has pretty much every movie they've aired recently--it seems comparable to what's offered on the Watch TCM app.

While I don't have Live TV on Hulu, I just have the non-commercial subscription, I love Hulu.  They have entire seasons of The Golden Girls and The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I also have Netflix, because I enjoy The Great British Baking Show.  My husband also watches whatever he watches on both streaming platforms.  I'm considering upgrading to the Hulu w/ HBO subscription because right now Dish is in dispute with HBO. 

I love my Smart TV.  I actually resent my bedroom TV for NOT being a smart TV; but I can watch TV from my adjustable bed, so I guess I have to compromise.

@LornaHansonForbes

Thanks for clarifying.  Then that might be good alternative for those who are in an area where the cable isn't working as well as expected.  As is often the case with overly populated or rapidly growing areas where cable systems become congested.  The solution in non-technical terms here is to subdivide it into smaller uncongested systems.  That is one of those things that may or may not happen, no guarantees and no timeline.

@RGB FAN

I have seen it both ways, the stories conflict at times.  There is obviously a desire, both among streaming providers and streaming fans, to see all competition go away (confirmation bias?).  There are however many inconvenient obstacles which make this an uncertainty at best, whatever they have that works...will work.  If it only works in some areas under best-case-scenarios, then it will only work under best-case-scenarios. 

As per Directv, there is no reason for them to be replacing their satellites at this time.  The satellites up there now are either newer and/or in good condition.  There is one that they are working on building as of now, which is or has already been completed.  So I am not sure what the news of discontinuation is all about.  When the time comes, they will just add another satellite.  In any case, satellite has worked out well for me (see, confirmation bias can go two ways - and there are many more like me) so if they were to discontinue Directv I would just move to Dish.

What I HAVE heard from them is that their fiber optic U-verse service, only located in centralized high-population areas, might drop down to legacy status.  That is, it might get to the point where they don't add new installations.  I haven't seen conclusive statements on that either.  What they HAVE done though is split off Internet and Phone services (formerly also part of U-verse) into other products.  This is more of a branding issue though than a technology issue.

The biggest challenge for AT&T right now is how to best use their resources.  They could either make it all work out, or they could screw it up royally.  It is all up to them.  There is no ideal one-size-fits-all medium, so different mediums will be better suited for different use cases.  For instance, high population areas may have Internet streaming, cable, Uverse, and satellite all simultaneously available.  In some cases the data services may be congested.  Or in other cases satellite may be physically obstructed for some, whereas on the other side of the same building it may be the best option.  The only real answer here is "It all just depends".

1 hour ago, RBG FAN said:

I think this was right around the time that Directv was showing the free Thanksgiving weekend for HBO and its affiliate networks.  No coincidences of course.  Dish has a history of lowballing its providers to try and undercut its competition.  This is not anything new, but rather an unfortunate development.

Lorna, gotta say I've always admired how you can take some of the most mundane experiences in life, and such as switching your television provider here, and make them a very entertaining read. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Your experience sounds mostly good. I am a Spectrum cable subscriber and am not thrilled with it. I feel bound to it because it feels to me that it's difficult or impossible to watch local sports franchises without it (this doesn't seem to be anything that concerns you!). Streaming services pretty much universally only offer you access to "out-of-market" games. To view the team in your area that you actually want to watch, as far as I can tell, you pretty much have to have cable. You may also be able to stream them on that cable channel's streaming service, but having their cable channel is usually a prerequisite. Now, I have heard some extremely self-confident millennials say there are ways around this, but 1) I'm reasonably sure those ways aren't legal; and 2) I wouldn't understand how to do it even if it was spelled out for me; I'd have to pay some 19-year-old to come to my home and set it up. So, I feel like I'm still stuck with cable.

Some of the issues that you do have still make me leery. I'm still pretty much a "wired" guy, although I do have an Amazon Prime membership. Not entirely sure it's worth it. I have binges where I watch quite a bit of stuff on it, occasionally mixing in the free stuff, but I easily go, say, eight weeks without using it at all, and have paid $30 during that time to watch zero movies.

My 80-something parents recently got a new TV with a Netflix option, so they got a membership to that, and I've played around with it while visiting them. I watched every existing episode of a pretty great German show called Babylon Berlin (Season 3, I read, is filming right now) and I checked out the first two episodes of Stranger Things, which has intrigued me enough that I plan to watch at least two more eps while I'm there at Christmas. I also watched a couple of Dave Chappelle stand-ups, a few theatrical movies and an episode here or there of some other shows (my mom has watched every episode of The Crown, and I watched one with her). Their selection is pretty amazing, although classical movies is certainly not their strong point. However, there are some glitchy things about it that have so far prevented me from wanting to get it for myself. I have to hit mute when figuring out what I want to watch because they're constantly playing ads for things. I can't concentrate! Sometimes, things won't load. Sometimes, shows just freeze. And sometimes, the whole damn TV just freezes. One time it froze, and I just went to bed, and eight hours later, it was still frozen - no button on any remote would do anything. I finally just unplugged the TV and plugged it in again. And I've had to do that multiple times on my visits. These really horrendous problems never happen when my parents use it - only me. And I would like to think I understand it way better than they do, but maybe not.

Anyway, issues like this make me really not want to dive into the deep end of streaming TV. I feel like we're just not there yet in 2018, based on my personal experiences, and it feels like at least once a week on here, somebody posts about some horrific issue they're having with a streaming service. Maybe another 10 years and this will be improved enough I might consider it. But I don't need a lot of extra technological heartache in my life. For now, I'm content to just watch what's on TCM on a given night and occasionally supplement my viewing with a DVD or Amazon Prime. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Anyway, issues like this make me really not want to dive into the deep end of streaming TV. I feel like we're just not there yet in 2018, based on my personal experiences, and it feels like at least once a week on here, somebody posts about some horrific issue they're having with a streaming service. Maybe another 10 years and this will be improved enough I might consider it. But I don't need a lot of extra technological heartache in my life. For now, I'm content to just watch what's on TCM on a given night and occasionally supplement my viewing with a DVD or Amazon Prime. 

I still have cable (Xfinity/Comcast), as well as watch stuff on physical media (Blu-ray, DVD, VHS), but I have also started streaming movies and TV. In the past couple of months I've watched dozens of movies via streaming, with no freeze-ups, sound-sync issues, or other technical problems. However, I'm using an Amazon FireTV device to stream onto my TV. I have a smart TV with many streaming apps included, as well as my Sony Blu-ray player having streaming apps, and back when I tried using those, I ran into a handful of frozen screens and poor quality video. Now that I'm using the FireTV device, I haven't had any of those issues. I use it to stream Amazon Prime, Netflix, FilmStruck (R.I.P.), and, with the Silk browser that's a free download app, anything on YouTube, or other websites like archive.org, rarefilmm.com, or what have you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

FIGURED I should just start a new post to get into the ONE ISSUE I HAVE (thus far) WITH HULU, AND this is maybe something the more technologically inclined of you can help me with:

I fell asleep watching OBSESSION and left HANGMEN ALSO DIE! playing by accident- so I missed the endings to both and when I tried to track them down NEITHER has been ANYWHERE to be found. Not in the recommendations or "you might like" or the "A to Z selection of all shows on TCM" or even in the search function.

THERE IS NO "FILMS (OR SHOWS) YOU'VE WATCHED" option on the main menu and that is A PROBLEM.

i was able to find OBSESSION online and finish it that way, but I am REALLY MOST DISPLEASED that I cannot locate HANGMEN ALSO DIE because it was AWESOME and I have missed it every time it has come on TCM for the last decade.

Thanks Lorna for your HULU review! :)

I have COX cable and when I'm at home I may watch something live, but I most often use the WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND repeat viewing feature. I don't use the COX TV Service Provider "on-demand" features, but stream directly from WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND servers.  From WATCH TCM I also have access to both East and West coast "Live" streams. I stream via my PC and use either one of my larger 32" or 40" HDTV screen "dumb" TVs as a monitor via an HDMI cable from my laptop.
My two favorite sites are TCM & PBS.
I sometimes will still DVR a TCM premier that may not be available for later ON-DEMAND viewing. But I also frequently will record something right from my PC screen using a screen capture program. That way I have at least two ways to repeat a viewing via a DVR or screen captured mp4 video file.
I just counted and right now WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND has 95 videos (shorts & full feature movies) available on their 7 day repeat viewing line-up, which is approx 90% of the live broadcasts for the last 7 days avaiable for WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND repeat viewing. Of course of that total a days worth will drop off by midnight Eastern time tonight, while the most recent day will (hopefully) be adding more. That's generally how it is supposed to work, when it works like it's supposed to.
I keep my WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND title list filtered on the default "ALL GENRES - RECENTLY ADDED" which means the newest added features are at the top, and I scroll down to see what is getting ready to drop off within the next 24 hours.

21 hrs ago from my current posting would be late Wed (12/5) or early Thurs (12/6).

HANGMEN ALSO DIE (1943) live aired on Tuesday Nov. 27, at 1:15 PM Eastern time. And was available on WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND. If I am thinking straight it would have been removed from the ON-DEMAND line-up at 12 midnight on Tuesday Dec 4th.

OBSESSION (1949) live aired at 10:30 am Eastern time on Thursday Nov. 29. It was also available on WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND, until Thursday Dec 6th, at 12 midnight.

So I am wondering if that may possibly explain why HANGMEN ALSO DIE (1943) disappeared from your list, and yet you were able to recover and view OBSESSION (1949) on maybe the last day of it's ON-DEMAND availabilty??? :unsure:

Okay, now I am curious about HULU.
It sounds like you can get PBS, Nat.Geo, etc. as well as TCM. Those are the lion's share of my TV viewing habits. She also asked you about other programs/channels etc.
So how much does it cost? And are there various tiers for different channels etc?
Also, is this like a TV Service Provider that will also grant access to the same TCM server list of available WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND movies as I currently have? As I don't see either HULU nor Sling TV on the WATCH TCM TV Service Provider list???
Based on your number of approximately 60 On-Demand titles, it sounds like that answer would be no. Meaning that those are HULU subscriber TCM "on-demand" titles which appears to be a lesser number than what WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND has available.
Still, I am very curious as to whether HULU would work for me or not.
Will it work on a PC relayed to a "dumb" TV. None of my HDTV's have direct internet access.
As said, I still have and like to keep my HDTV's "dumb." I don't like it when everything I watch and do ends up on someones server somewhere for marketing.
When using my PC to stream I have more control of who and what is trying to track and monitor me, and I habitually clear my cache and delete cookies after every on-line viewing session.

I have a highspeed ISP with a monthly Terabyte cap. So far with my selective use I have managed to stay beneath that cap. Not everything I stream on PBS is HD. and I never stream anything higher than 720p (the lowest HD threshold). I have no control of the quality of TCM streams, but based on time and data used per feature, I'd guess that most of what TCM streams is not in HD. More likely 360-420p, with a few features in maybe 720-1080p. But an advantage is when my live cable occassionally freezes or pixilates, or I have an annoying weekly broadcast interruption in the middle of a program, if it is also available on WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND, I am able to avoid all that and receive just as good (if not better quality) transmission via streaming as what I can watch during a "live" broadcast. And on a 32" or even 40" HDTV monitor there is no noticeable inferior viewing experience from streaming on my PC and relaying via HDMI to my monitor. In fact it frequently appears better than the cable TV Service Provider presentation. That is of course, when WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND is behaving like it's supposed to....

DAMN

I fell asleep during the third act of BLESSED EVENT (1932) On TCM last night. Had nothing to do with the quality of the movie and everything to do with the fact that I’m old and go to bed early. I could fall asleep during a RAMMSTEIN concert

scoured HULU, YouTube, And even went to the spectrum on demand section which I still have because it doesn’t run out until next week, but couldn’t find it anywhere.

Would love to know how it ends

The search (magnifying glass) Function on Hulu seems to suck. I have entered titles of stuff that I know for a fact is available, and it comes up with nothing.

Like Amazon prime, the “customers also watched” function is quite useful though.

7 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DAMN

I fell asleep during the third act of BLESSED EVENT (1932) On TCM last night. Had nothing to do with the quality of the movie and everything to do with the fact that I’m old and go to bed early. I could fall asleep during a RAMMSTEIN concert

scoured HULU, YouTube, And even went to the spectrum on demand section which I still have because it doesn’t run out until next week, but couldn’t find it anywhere.

BLESSED EVENT is currently available on WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND for 7 days.
You will need to access WATCH TCM from your PC or another device, then sign-in with your Spectrum TV service provider account number to stream it. Not sure how you normally do it, but rather than watch on my laptops 18" screen I use an HDMI cable to connect my PC to my larger HDTV and stream to TV that way. 

• Thanks 1

Some people who 'cut the cord' are unhappy with high prices and long contracts with cable or satellite. I totally dislike having to haggle with Comcast every 12 months. For me, streaming is too new, with too many hiccups.

My brother attempted to save money by moving to Hulu with live TV, just like Lorna did. He was not happy with the difficulty in using it and returned to cable.

I hope Lorna remains happy with the change to Hulu. If not, check out the Flex Pack from Dish satellite. Notice it includes TCM, or I wouldn't recommend it to you:

https://www.mydish.com/flex-pack

• Thanks 1

The only drawback is Sports games, I don't get CBS NFL, and I'm a Raider fan, but this year they s*u*c*k anyway so I'm missing nothing, and if I really wanted to see them I could drive to the sports bar for the game and some good cheer, which is a fun evening anyway.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DAMN

Just a quick tip for everyone who might not know, TCM has an 'Overview' page I think for every movie they've ever shown or will show.  If you type in your web search box <movie title> followed by "TCM" or "TCM overview" it should bring up a link.  Here's the one for Blessed Event:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/1644/Blessed-Event/

Also notice on this page the 'Brief Synopsis' section.  Almost always below this is orange text that says 'read the full synopsis'.  If you click on this text the synopsis will expand to usually give a fairly detailed account of the main events of the film.  Beware spoilers if you haven't seen the film yet!  This can really help out if you have a question about the film or missed something.

Usually a good fallback if you are hunting for information.  If this fails you can also check out Wikipedia, as they typically have detailed summaries as well.