Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

I am thrilled to pieces with TCM ON HULU, EXCEPT FOR ONE THING

40 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

The only drawback is Sports games, I don't get CBS NFL, and I'm a Raider fan, but this year they s*u*c*k anyway so I'm missing nothing, and if I really wanted to see them I could drive to the sports bar for the game and some good cheer, which is a fun evening anyway.

Maybe it's all a strategic plan by Gruden to secure #1 draft pick for his team next year.  Then he can build a better team! Lol.  They're moving to Vegas next year? Or is it 2020?

Next year I believe.

26 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Maybe it's all a strategic plan by Gruden to secure #1 draft pick for his team next year.  Then he can build a better team! Lol.  They're moving to Vegas next year? Or is it 2020?

On 12/6/2018 at 8:50 AM, NipkowDisc said:

download, convert and burn. "no better sleeping pill." -dick proenneke

How are you able to download anything living in Alaska in a log cabin all by yourself ? :lol:

• Haha 2

YAY! 

BLESSED EVENT (1932) Showed up in my feed last night and I rewatched the whole thing, was able to catch the ending which had a very nice twist to it.

(although I had forgotten how irritating the song DICK POWELL sings (repeatedly) throughout the movie- HOW CAN YOU SAY “NO” WHEN ALL THE WORLD IS SAYING “YES”? is)

Lorna, happy to see that you were able to catch Blessed Event.  I am impressed with what TCM is offering with its various streaming apps.

One interesting thing I noticed Friday evening is that the film The Graduate was not available for live streaming through Watch TCM.  I assume this was due to some rights issue.  This made me wonder if pure-streaming services like Hulu+ and Sling TV for example were also unable to show this during the live broadcast period.  This is probably a relatively rare case as far as live streaming goes, but I would think it would be disconcerting for the users of these services to have the occasional gap in coverage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

This is probably a relatively rare case as far as live streaming goes, but I would think it would be disconcerting for the users of these services to have the occasional gap in coverage.

It's not disconcerting really because there is a plethora of other films to stream once you start from a lot of different sources.

Watching RUGGLES OF RED GAP On TCM West this morning and right before THE GETTYSBURG ADDRESS SCENE, The internet connection went out. 

With spectrum cable this used to happen about 4 to 5 times a day. I have to unplug the TV and turn it back on which takes about 40 seconds each time and when I returned to whatever film I had been watching, I would’ve missed everything that had happened in the duration. And often times I had to turn the TV right back off because the picture would freeze or they wouldn’t be able to reload my content.

With Hulu, I unplug my TV, turned it back on and within about 20 seconds was back to watching the scene three minutes before the Internet went out.

Just for the fact alone that my every single viewing experience is not marred a dozen or more times by sound sync, picture freeze, or the Internet going out makes Hulu *****infinitely****** better than spectrum cable.

Seriously, it is very difficult for me to convey just how maddening and heartbreaking it was trying to watch live television with Spectrum cable. Nine times out of 10, the picture would freeze and the sound sync would get messed up up to **15 or more times an hour***and each time I would have to turn off the TV and turn it back on and wait about a minute for spectrum to reload.

And that is  NOT how old the good Lord intended for us to watch movies!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

My only obvious concern for you Lorna, is whether or not your ISP has a data cap?
If you are paying for an unlimited plan, then by all means watch to your hearts content and fall asleep with the TV on.
But streaming (esp. in HD) can gobble up multiples of gigabytes in a hurry.
My ISP has a 1 terabyte (1,000 GB) monthly cap that if I exceed I receive an additional tier charge.
Just a little food for thought regarding streaming services.

13 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Seriously, it is very difficult for me to convey just how maddening and heartbreaking it was trying to watch live television with Spectrum cable. Nine times out of 10, the picture would freeze and the sound sync would get messed up up to **15 or more times an hour***and each time I would have to turn off the TV and turn it back on and wait about a minute for spectrum to reload.

I always thought the issue with Spectrum was the price. I didn't know the service was bad too. I thought with a direct cable hooked to the tv, there would be no issues at all. I would never have that service unless it was the only one available.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I would like to say while I grumbled about Spectrum in my previous post, pretty much my only complaints are with the price. There was one night about two years ago, where weirdly, out of about the 75 channels I get, TCM was the ONLY one not coming in. Certainly felt like the gods were against me that night as TCM was really the only channel I wanted to watch. The next morning, everything was back to normal.

But other than that, I've never had any problems with Spectrum's service. Although I only watch Spectrum on an actual television. Sounds like you're trying to watch it on the Internet? Which I don't know anything about.

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2018 at 2:25 PM, cigarjoe said:

Is there a link to when it played on TCM last?

Uh oh, new lucrative jobs are opening up for our obsessive message board "record keepers"! 😉

As many of you know, I cut my cable cord about 8 years ago, but often watch TCM at MrTiki's next door. He is totally afraid of getting rid of cable because he doesn't have time to "learn" it. But slowly, he's "getting" it. 

I have a fire stick and am trying to watch everything of interest FREE before signing up with any "service". I appreciate the HULU original post & description since I will not sign up with Amazon Prime or Netflix.

My biggest issue with TCM is looking over each month's schedule, there is very little offered that I haven't already seen. That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy just letting it play as background sound all day while I'm painting, just like I used to do when I had TCM on cable. On days TCM shows foreign films or silents, I can just put the MST3K live feed station on.

Thanks for the input & opinions on streaming.

On 12/6/2018 at 9:05 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

ME to SPECTRUM CABLE:

girl-bye-gif-22.gif

Lorna, nobody distills an issue down to its very essence like you do!

Last night Spectrum preempted the local Fox channel's national football game, due to a contractual dispute.  I didn't really care (wouldn't have cared even if I had Spectrum), but I know some others who did.

On 12/6/2018 at 8:53 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

The following is not a paid advertisement, it just seems like from time to time we discuss in the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS thread the various means and methods we use to view TCM in this MODERN TECHNOLOGICAL DYSTOPIA IN WHICH WE DESPAIR and I think I am on to something good here...

Soes, for various reasons, I am making the switch from SPECTRUM CABLE to HULU and I was extremely wary at first about it- even though I DESPISE Spectrum, I was worried about what TCM OPTIONS there would be.

A nice young lady came to my house to set it up and I screamed in horror when the first thing that appeared on the "recommended for you" home screen was the SIX HEADED HYDRA OF THE KARDASHIA MONSTER.

"Don't worry"- the lady said- "it'll figure out what you like."

the following is more or less a recreation of the dialogue that followed:

INSTALLATION LADY: So what networks do you want to make favorites?

LHF: (reclining on chaise) TCM.

INSTALLATION LADY: OK. (clicks button, makes TCM a FAVORITE CHANNEL [or whatever]) Now what else?

LHF: That's it.

INSTALLATION LADY: Well, what shows do you like?

LHF: (blank look)

INSTALLATION LADY: What TV Shows? GAME OF THRONES? THE WALKING DEAD? THIS IS US?

(LHF gives the "I don't know her" head shake)

INSTALLATION LADY: FRIENDS? SEINFELD?

LHF: Nope.

INSTALLATION LADY: You don't want any other networks? AMC?

(another SCREAM in HORROR)

INSTALLATION LADY: PBS? NatGEO? CNN? A&E?

LHF: No, not particularly. I mean, I guess MSNBC...Although it's trash and I shouldn't.

INSTALLATION LADY: OOOOk. (clicks) I'm guessing no SPORTS PACKAGES for you either.

LHF: Gurl, you got me pegged....

Anyhoo, soes she leaves me to it and I AM THRILLED TO DISCOVER THAT TCM ON HULU includes both TCM WEST and TCM EAST feeds so I can catch the stuff they show later. It also includes about 2/3 of what has played on TCM within a three week period. It also has a "suggestions" button that has me down after a few choices I have made.

You can also pause live tv, which I discovered today watching BONNIE SCOTLAND.

I've watched HIS KIND OF WOMAN and DR X and THE BODY SNATCHER and JIMMY THE GENT and GRAND SLAM and THE KENNEL MURDER CASE and ALL KINDS OF stuff I can't even remember. It's been A LONG TIME since I've immersed meself so deep in the classics. Haven't watched another thing since getting it.

my AMAZON PRIME is cold and lonely and my NETFLIX remains untouched.

BEST OF ALL: THERE IS NO SOUND SYNC ISSUE OR PICTURE LAG WITH WATCHING LIVE TV ON HULU.

SERIOUSLY, THAT HAD RUINED OVER TWO DOZEN VIEWING EXPERIENCES IN THE PAST 18 MONTHS TRYING TO WATCH Live TV ON TCM. It was HEARTBREAKING. A few people have written me to ask why I don't participate in the FILM NOIR thread anymore and the reason is 100% because EVERY SINGLE FILM i try to watch LIVE on NOIR ALLEY goes out of sync because SPECTRUM SUCKs.

no more.

Baby, excuse me for saying it, but you're my kind of woman.