Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

I am thrilled to pieces with TCM ON HULU, EXCEPT FOR ONE THING

58 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2019 at 12:22 PM, Stephan55 said:

Thanks Mike, I am aware that Hulu used to support Win 7, and this 2017 link is certainly closer to the present than 2010.
But the reason why I ask is because Hulu's own site fails to make any mention of any Windows OS other than Win 10 in their system recommendations link (and you know how I feel about Win 10). 

https://help.hulu.com/en-us/supported-computers

What could possibly be required of the computer, except for the codecs (most likely something H.264 -ish) and either a web browser (most likely Firefox, but Chromium would do) or a media player (VLC would do).

Not having read anything at all about Hulu, but having a general sense for Linux Mint on a PC, does the computer need to run a Windows executable or something?

As far as "apps" go, that has never really been proper terminology for a PC.  "Apps" are associated with little crap, like a 'smart' phone.   So I suspect that is for the Roku.

Also, I don't get what the deal with Flash is for some other people who use Linux (here is the command to list all applications, uninstalled and installed, with the word "flash" in the title):

$ sudo apt list *flash*
[sudo] password for MCOH:
[snip]
adobe-flashplugin/bionic,now 1:20190212.1-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 amd64 [installed]
[snip]
$

That is all I have.  A flash installer called "adobe-flashplugin".  That is not the actual flash module that comes from Adobe, but rather the necessary downloader which is bundled into the repository.  It just knows where to go to get the correct files from Adobe and manages the actual files.  It is replaced whenever there is an upgrade or security fix to Flash.

The whole thing seems pretty transparent.  Just tested it and it works.  It will be discontinued by Adobe sooner or later...

This updates with all the other software using the Update Manager, or in the terminal with:
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt upgrade

I have seen it update on an infrequent basis, most likely security patches.

Hope some of that helps

21 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

Maybe this will help:

https://www.howtogeek.com/202825/what’s-the-difference-between-chromium-and-chrome/

Chromium is nice because it allows Linux distributions that require open-source software to package up a web browser that’s almost identical to Chrome and ship it to their users. Such Linux distributions could even use Chromium as their default web browser instead of Firefox—and some do. If you’re into open-source software and try to avoid any closed-source bits, Chromium is a good option for you.

However, many Linux users who aren’t so passionate about open-source software might want to install Chrome rather than Chromium. Installing Chrome gets you a better Flash player if you’re using Flash and unlocks a larger amount of media content online. For example, Google Chrome on Linux can now stream Netflix videos. This requires H.264 support for HTML5 video, something Chromium doesn’t include.

I have the default installation of Chromium that is in the Linux Mint (Ubuntu) repository.  I can view HTML5 Youtube videos just fine.  Verified to be HTML5 by using Firefox extension to download video to HDD (no recoding), then view attributes in VLC video player.

Maybe the Linux version of Chromium works better?

FWIW, there is a media codec package that needs to be installed when Linux is loaded on the machine.  It is a simple checkbox that says something like "Install non-free software?".   That is mostly there for legal purposes, as some corporations or government entities don't allow non-free software on their computers.  This is a newer thing for the Linux Mint distro, it hasn't been there for very long.

Windows/Mac computers may handle this differently...or maybe even not at all.  Hell, every last bit of Windows 10 is spyware.  What additional amount of damage could this do?

Hmm...  Try this on your Chromium browser, it is just a regular H.264/MP4 format video sample I put up onto my website.  Any current browser would have HMTL5 capability, and therefore should be able to play it natively (no video player plugin necessary). 
http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/moviecollector-1927-metropolis-dance-scene.mp4

If this link works for you, the "video player" you see here is the bare minimum HTML5 which is internal to the browser.  If not, then there could be differences between the way the different operating systems implement codecs with browsers (in particular there might be an issue with the combination of Windows and Chromium at this time).

I didn't mean to derail Lorna's thread. It is just Stephan55 has trouble with Watch TCM with Windows 7 Pro and the Firefox browser. I was offering alternatives.

The computer I have now is from late 2014. It came with Windows 8.1. My old Windows 7 HP went up in smoke. I upgraded to Windows 10 for free. I am not afraid of it or Google.

My point to Stephan55 is how dangerous can a streaming player be? We're talking a tinker toy computing device capable of just one thing. I'm trying to be helpful without success.

As for Lorna, I think you enabled the accessibility feature in Roku. If it is still talking to you, it can be turned of in the setting section. Or, while watching a movie, hit the star button. That gives a menu at the top-left of the screen. You can scroll to accessibility, then arrow left or right to toggle it back off.

19 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Thanks again Mike,
I'm all for Open Source Everything (Down with DRM, Up with Open Source).
Yes, even good ole Firefox uses some of the "good" stuff from Google...
I'll take the good stuff, I just don't want to be strapped by their lousy telemetry spyware anymore than Microsoft's.
Firefox and Linux has stripped that crap out.

I think I told you about back when I still occasionally used Google Chrome for troubleshooting. What happened is Googles persistent spyware wouldn't stay contained in the Google browser, it escaped and infected every other browser on my PC. It was a real hassle finally getting rid of it.
Same'O when MS covertly started loading their Win 10 OS on my machine. I read up that they were were doing it to others and after I learned where the "hidden" MS files were located I was shocked to find that they were doing the same damn thing to me. 
Another pain getting all that crap outa my machine and blocking all of the so called "security" updates that allowed them to do it again. And that was just the tip of the ice berg. After that No more trust in either Google or Microsoft.

I remember back in the day when "Just Google it" was synonymous to doing a web search.
I stopped saying that a few years ago, Now I say "Just DuckDuckGo it."

I couldn't agree more ! I've had my own problems with MS and lost three days of my life I'll never get back because of it. I'm strictly unbuntu and firefox. I have never had Hulu though so I can comment on that.

And for search I use https://www.startpage.com/en/?&t=default

2 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

I've had my own problems with MS and lost three days of my life I'll never get back because of it.

I have used Windows actively since '95. I could loose 3 days in a week. Windows 10 and I get along okay. I know how to disable just about everything. Most of my pain is self induced. I like to explore. A brave fool. Lately, I get stupid with my tablet. It can be refreshed to new status in minutes.

Roku and Amazon TV products are the same way. Good as brand new in minutes. If I screw up Windows 10, putting stuff back takes days.

1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

I couldn't agree more ! I've had my own problems with MS and lost three days of my life I'll never get back because of it. I'm strictly unbuntu and firefox. I have never had Hulu though so I can comment on that.

And for search I use https://www.startpage.com/en/?&t=default

I dumped MS (not Windows) probably going 4 years back now.  It was when I was loading up a machine from scratch with Windows 7 Pro for someone near and dear to me.  I had the OS loaded and was beginning to load the service pack.  The HDD light was fluttering ridiculously.  I thought "damn, a virus already", because I had already had that happen with Windows while setting it up.  That activity went on for much longer than I had seen before, so I had to research it on my own computer.  It was my introduction to "gwx.exe" (the Windows 10 "upgrade").  This was somewhat early on in their "upgrade rollout", and  I had never seen that before due to my disabling of upgrade services and a bunch of other things on my usual computers - a Windows computer normally wasn't good enough for me until about half of it was crippled.  Thanks MS.

Linux Mint (built on top of Ubuntu)
Firefox
VLC media player
DuckDuckGo.com (works a bit nicer with start.duckduckgo.com)
Startpage.com (I have heard its main founder on Coast To Coast, Katherine Albrecht.  An upstanding individual.)
Searx.info (an open source search engine with multiple sites/instances around the world, this is just one of them, you could even host it for yourself if you wanted.  Sometimes returns errors for searches, but it is still in its infancy)

and so forth

Still have a couple Windows machines (7 pro) without any network interface cards.  They are "appliances" for a couple very specific programs I still use, and that is about it.  I haven't set up a Windows machine in years.

47 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

I have used Windows actively since '95. I could loose 3 days in a week. Windows 10 and I get along okay. I know how to disable just about everything. Most of my pain is self induced. I like to explore. A brave fool. Lately, I get stupid with my tablet. It can be refreshed to new status in minutes.

Roku and Amazon TV products are the same way. Good as brand new in minutes. If I screw up Windows 10, putting stuff back takes days.

Looong story really short: I was using a beta Windows OS. It had all sorts of problems but, I was a tester (guinea pig) I guess. When the full Windows 10 came along, I would just get that.

Then one day, Microsoft decided I was no longer allowed to use this beta version and proceeded to shut my pc down. Said they would continue to shut my pc down every three hours until I upgraded to the new Windows 10. Problem was, it took longer than 3 hours to download the OS. I would literally get to 90% then it would shut off.

microsoft-pulls-update-MS14-045-BSOD.png

Except mine was at 90% :angry:

I chatted with their customer service, they had no clue what I was talking about. I went through this three times over three days. I was just fed up with it all. I don't need corporations dictating to me how I can use my pc. I probably can't totally avoid MS but, I'll stay away as much as I can.

Don't blame MS when you sign on to a Beta. Trust me. I have been there. My Roku and Amazon products are nearly flawless, but what can go wrong with 8 GB of on-board storage.