Sign in to follow this  
MilesArcher

The Name Game

253 posts in this topic

When I joined the TCM message boards ten years ago, I found a fun little thread that some of us had a lot of fun with for a few years.  Unfortunately, many of the members left the boards over time and the participation in the game declined.  Now that we have a lot of new folks, I thought it might be a good time to revive it.  We'll call it "The Name Game".

The first poster gives sound-alike clues to parts of a well known celebrity's name.  For instance:

To Steal + Ernie's Friend On "Sesame Street" + A Person Who Makes Clothes 

That's a simple one.  The answers would be : Rob + Bert + Tailor or Robert Taylor  The one who solved the clues would post that answer and then leave clues to another name.  Remember, there are two parts to the game, solving the puzzle and leaving clues to a new name for someone else to solve.  You do not need to wait for confirmation of your answer.  If you are wrong, that person who posted the clues will let you know.

You can make them simple or you can be a bit more clever and give clues that may require a little knowledge, or possibly a bit of research.  Here is an old favorite:

Marilyn Monroe Starred In "_____ Stop", + What Two Boys Stole In "Going My Way" + One Time Boxer Two-_____ Tony Galento

The answer would be Bus + Turkey+ Ton.  If you separate the syllables, you have Bus + Tur+ Key+ Ton or Buster Keaton

I find that clues involving movies, TV, songs, i.e. pop culture make the most effective clues.

Let's give it a try.  I'll post the first one:

Groucho's Show "You _____ Your Life" + "____ And Sympathy" + Linda _____ Played Sue Ellen On "Dallas" + He Played The German Ship's Captain In "The African Queen"

Henry Morgan

Next:

Theme From "Mondo Cane" + Star Of "Sweet Home, Alabama" + Johnny Paychek Sang "Take This Job And _____ It" + Joan Van Ark's Role On "Knots Landing" + Peter O'Toole Starred In "My Favorite _______" 

Maurice Chevalier

next

"Beat Me Daddy EIght to the ____" + cartoon Yogi ____ + "Once Upon ___ Time" + Comedian ___ Laurel + DIckon's way of saying the SECRET GARDEN is still alive "It's still ____"!

Barbara Stanwyck

Clever last clue, Polecat.  I found the passage:

Dickon curved his wide smiling mouth.

"It's as wick as you or me," he said; and Mary remembered that Martha had told her that "wick" meant "alive" or "lively."

"I'm glad it's wick!" she cried out in her whisper. "I want them all to be wick. Let us go round the garden and count how many wick ones there are."

Next:

Theme Music From "Modern Times" + TV's Matt Houston + He Fought A Duel With Alexander Hamilton + Alan Ladd Film "The Man In The _______"

• Like 1

Smiley Burnette.

Next:  TAKE______OF MY LITTLE GIRL + "_____ Lang Syne" + Actor Herbert____ + Shakespeare reference: "The _______".

Carole Lombard

It took a few minutes because I kept thinking Herbert was Herbert Marshall.

Next:

Author Of "My Antonia" + Robert Blake Revived His Career With "____ Cold Blood" + Habitant Soup Sponsored TV's "The ____ Ghost" + Lon Chaney Jr. Played Count Alucard, The "_____ Of Dracula" 

Kathryn Grayson

(I deduce, that is, since I never heard of Habitant Soup)

next

Puppets Punch and ___ + "Have a ___ Jolly Christmas" + Mickey and the Beanstalk song "Oh What a Happy ___"

I get My + Cole + Jack + Son or Michael jackson

Next:  

Annette Funicello Had a Hit Record With "Tall _______" + Eva Marie Saint Appears In "Because Of _______-Dixie" + He Won An Oscar For "Judgement At Nuremberg" + "____ The Angels Sing" + Nickname For Gerald Or Jerome + On The Flip Side, Annette Sang "____, He's Making Eyes At Me" + A Country Square Dance Is Sometimes Called A ____-Down + French Film "Claire's _______"   

Something a little different here. 

Lol....Paul Winchell And Jerry Mahoney.

Next: Worn on the head + English ____ Time + British for raincoat + ____ Rather + "With a Rebel _____...."

Hattie McDaniel

Next:

Ms. Winningham + State Abbreviation For The "Land Of Lincoln" + Jim Hawkins Worked At The Admiral Benbow _____ + Cosmetics King Mr. Factor + Old Song "I Get Along Without You Very _____"

Don Ameche.

Next: MY MOTHER THE ____ + OH _____ OH WOMEN + Incense and ______ + "Will ____ Grace" + A word that something is self-evident. 

Helen Twelvetrees

next--  Waldo Lydecker lusted for her + Steve Martin's story + Hepburn had a long one above her Desk (set)

Laura La Plante

(took me a bit because I thought you meant "fern" for the last one)

next

Oscar Madison's roommate + "music hath charms to soothe the savage _____" + THE ____ IS A LONELY HUNTER

Felix Bressart

next--

George Eliot's spot on the river Floss + Stallone gets judgey + the 'fool' that narrated the ship's activity + don't do this to the rock!

Mildred Dunnock

Next:

"Akeelah And The ______" + "Win ______ Stein's Money" + After Killing Abel, Cain Was Banished To The Land Of _______ + Famous Line From "A Christmas Story", I Triple-Dog-_______ Ya" + Mr. Butler From Charleston

Bea Benaderet   (good one!)

next--

Don't call the Airplane! crew this! + what Susan Saint James called Rock, on tv + Lola or Priscilla or Rosemary

• Like 1

James Franciscus

next

Ronald Reagan drama KING'S _____ + ___ AMERICAN TAIL + BAD DAY ___ BLACK ROCK + old way of saying family "Kith & ____ " + ___ OF FRANKENSTEIN (film #3)