Sign in to follow this  
jaragon

"Bohemian Rhapsody"(2018)

9 posts in this topic

Rami Malek gives an Oscar worthy performance as Freddy Mercury in this other wise routine musical biography about the rock group Queen.  Mercury is at first shown as flamboyant but in a straight relationship with Mary Austin who remained his lifelong fried.  Mercury is soon ogling men and eventually hooks up with Paul Prenter ( Allan Leech) who turns out to be a user.  The movie does not avoid the gay angle but this mostly kept to passionate kisses between Mercury and his lovers ( but to be fair there is no sex scene with a woman either) .  There is a sexy  visit to a leather bar set to "Another One Bites The Dust". I was momentarily turned off when the film seemed to suggest that his true love was female and the gay affairs were just sex.  But at the end what Freddy really needed was one good man.  Malek really gives it his all playing Mercury as Judy Garland type rock an roll diva.  The grand finale set during Live Aid Concert is genuinely thrilling

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rayban said:

I really loved the film.  Rami Malek was a sensation.

Malek  does give an amazing performance.  The film is good but it could have been a bit more daring

• Like 1

I really want to see this film. I like Freddie Mercury, and I've always been partial to Zoroastrians. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I really want to see this film. I like Freddie Mercury, and I've always been partial to Zoroastrians. 

Freddie Mercury was a complex human being.

That complexity does come across.

After he left Queen, he realized that he made a terrible mistake.

And he had "the  balls" to admit to it and beg the forgiveness of the remaining members of the group.

I agree, the footage of the Live Aid concert is absolutely thrilling.

("Radio Ga Ga is uniquely - "Queen".)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swithin said:

You will enjoy it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayban said:

Freddie Mercury was a complex human being.

That complexity does come across.

After he left Queen, he realized that he made a terrible mistake.

And he had "the  balls" to admit to it and beg the forgiveness of the remaining members of the group.

I agree, the footage of the Live Aid concert is absolutely thrilling.

("Radio Ga Ga is uniquely - "Queen".)

Yeah I started singing along and people around were actually clapping at the end as if it was an actual concert- those scenes are the best- and the "Another One Bites the Dust" montage

• Haha 1