Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Horst Buchholz: the German James Dean

39 posts in this topic

The first time I was aware of him, I think, was in Billy Wilder's One, Two, Three (1961). Even though it was set in West Berlin, it was an English language film and his command of the language seemed a little shaky. He was also playing a somewhat stereotypical radical and even though his stridency and urgency matched that of the movie as a whole, it was hard to get a grasp of him as an actor. But in Fanny that same year he came into sharper focus and he did have some of that James Dean quality as a character who had dreams but was being asked to compromise, and was maybe a little irresponsible in dealing with the situation. 

It seems like a lot of countries had their own "James Dean" and "Marilyn Monroe", but not many measured up to the originals. As for Horst Buchholz, I don't have a good sense of his overall career, but I have a strong memory of him in those two films.

• Like 2

Buchholz publicly came out, saying "Yes, I also love men. Ultimately, I'm bisexual. ... I have always lived my life the way I wanted."[6] He explained that he and his wife of nearly 42 years had a stable and enduring arrangement, with her life centered in Paris and his in Berlin, the city that he loved

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

He had an interesting career. 

screen-shot-2018-12-08-at-9-05-22-pm.jpg

Thoughts/opinions about him..?

screen-shot-2018-12-08-at-9-01-06-pm.jpg

He had sexy lips

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DougieB said:

The first time I was aware of him, I think, was in Billy Wilder's One, Two, Three (1961). Even though it was set in West Berlin, it was an English language film and his command of the language seemed a little shaky. He was also playing a somewhat stereotypical radical and even though his stridency and urgency matched that of the movie as a whole, it was hard to get a grasp of him as an actor. But in Fanny that same year he came into sharper focus and he did have some of that James Dean quality as a character who had dreams but was being asked to compromise, and was maybe a little irresponsible in dealing with the situation. 

It seems like a lot of countries had their own "James Dean" and "Marilyn Monroe", but not many measured up to the originals. As for Horst Buchholz, I don't have a good sense of his overall career, but I have a strong memory of him in those two films.

The first time I had seen him on screen was also in ONE TWO THREE. He made an impression but of course Cagney and Wilder were the reasons I watched that movie.

He also has a good role in the British drama TIGER BAY, alongside John Mills and John's daughter Hayley. I believe it was Hayley Mills' motion picture debut. Buchholz's English is just fine in TIGER BAY, which was released in 1959.

screen-shot-2018-12-08-at-8-53-36-pm.jpg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, jaragon said:

He had sexy lips

He shows off a lot more than just his lips in the German youth film DIE HALBSTARKEN (1956), which translates as TEENAGE WOLFPACK.

screen-shot-2018-12-08-at-9-00-24-pm.jpg

This film is in the public domain. The German language version is on YouTube. There's an English language version which can be found at the Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/details/TeenageWolfpack

• Like 1

The first five minutes of TEENAGE WOLFPACK has Buchholz and a bunch of German boys hanging around a pool, all of them wearing very tight fitting swim trunks. His character is not supposed to be smoking but he's too cool to care.

screen-shot-2018-12-08-at-9-01-58-pm.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The first five minutes of TEENAGE WOLFPACK has Buchholz and a bunch of German boys hanging around a pool, all of them wearing very tight fitting swim trunks. His character is not supposed to be smoking but he's too cool to care.

screen-shot-2018-12-08-at-9-01-58-pm.jpg

He is the bad boy that we can't refuse😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

He shows off a lot more than just his lips in the German youth film DIE HALBSTARKEN (1956), which translates as TEENAGE WOLFPACK.

screen-shot-2018-12-08-at-9-00-24-pm.jpg

This film is in the public domain. The German language version is on YouTube. There's an English language version which can be found at the Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/details/TeenageWolfpack

Yeah he was hot and he knew it ( well the director knew where to place the camera)

• Like 2

I know him from "Tiger Bay", "One, Two, Three", "Fanny" and "The Magnificent Seven".

He also starred in many German films, like "The Confessions of Felix Krull".

He was replaced by Peter McEnery in Radley Metzer's "The Cat and the Canary".

I don't think that he was interested in an American film career. 

He was one of Tony Perkins' favorite actors.

Horst-Buchholz.jpg

• Like 1

He played opposite Kim Stanley in the Broadway adaptation of Colette's famed novel, "Cheri".

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rayban said:

He played opposite Kim Stanley in the Broadway adaptation of Colette's famed novel, "Cheri".

I wasn't aware he'd been on Broadway. Thanks.

I was looking up some of his films. In 1971 he appeared in a French production called LE SAVEUR. He has an outdoor nude scene in it. Frontal nudity and rear nudity. 

2 minutes ago, rayban said:

Let's not forget Horst Buchholz and Bette Davis and Catherine Spaak in "The Empty Canvas".

MV5BMmI5YzFhY2ItMjY4OC00N2Y4LWJkMjMtZjg2

I've never heard of this one before. Wonder if TCM's ever aired it.

• Like 1

EMPTYCANVAS2.JPG--

I've seen it.  I liked it.  But I can't remember where.  It was distributed by Joseph E. Levine.

• Like 1

Just now, rayban said:

EMPTYCANVAS2.JPG--

I've seen it.  I liked it.  But I can't remember where.  It was distributed by Joseph E. Levine.

Yeah, I see on the film's wiki page that Davis plays his American mother. He plays an Italian. Interesting casting.

Seems like something I'd enjoy watching.

The three of them were such an unlikely trio.

They turned it into an interesting film.

Maybe you can write one of your unique film reviews.

We'll put it on hold.

5d8aad46b7124231100653f809ccdd31.jpg

• Like 1

I watched DIE HALBSTARKEN last night. Twice. I watched it in English, but the print was rather shoddy. So I re-watched it in German after I found a much better quality print.

I think it borrows quite a bit from REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, especially since there is a "triangle" between the lead rebel (Buchholz's character), his brother and a girl who turns out to be quite violent. But this version is rather harsh in tone. None of these kids are very nice, except for the brother who's softer and gets caught up in everything. In fact I would say they are considerably thuggish, and their crimes are extreme.

The parents are depicted as complete oafs, until they realize what the kids are up to and then resolve to straighten them out. One review I read on the IMDb complained about the ending, but I loved it. The father tries to act proud of his boys, while ironically they are being hauled away by the police.

It's interesting to see what postwar (West) Germany looked like a decade after the end of the third reich.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rayban said:

He's seen in the nude in the tribute.

Dazzling.

He doesn't seem like the sort of guy who had any hang-ups or inhibitions.

• Like 1

The first thing I saw him in was The Magnificent Seven. I love the film, but he annoyed me to no end, and I still think he's the movie's weakest element. I'm also not a fan of One, Two, Three. At all.

But I recently saw Tiger Bay for the first time and thought he was excellent in it. I understood his appeal more.

I recall seeing him in his brief role in Life Is Beautiful as a Nazi officer. It took me awhile to realize that it was him.

449432-16485-clp-950.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, he has been able to maintain his film career.

Has anybody been able to see him in his Hollywood epic, "Nine Hours To Rama"?

maxresdefault.jpg

9+hours+1.JPG