Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Best Horror of 2018

13 posts in this topic

I ran across a couple of end-of-year Best-of-Horror lists I thought I'd share. As always, these lists are subjective and open to disagreement. How many have you seen? Which, if any, do you disagree with? Did they leave any off?

IMDb's Best Horror of 2018

1. Hereditary
  2. The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix series)
  3. Annihilation
  4. A Quiet Place
  5. Suspiria
  6. Mandy
  7. Unsane
  8. Apostle
  9. The Clovehitch Killer
  10. Halloween

Rotten Tomatoes' Best Horror of 2018

1. A Quiet Place
  2. Cam
  3. The Endless
  4. Mandy
  5. Revenge
  6. Are We Not Cats
  7. Hereditary
  8. Ravenous
  9. Upgrade
  10. Pyewacket
  11. The Cleanse
  12. Possum
  13. Anna and the Apocalypse
  14. Ghost Stories
  15. Overlord
  16. What Keeps You Alive
  17. Unsane
  18. Apostle
  19. Don't Leave Home
  20. Halloween
  21. The Night Eats the World
  22. The Devil's Doorway
  23. The Clovehitch Killer
  24. Mom and Dad
  25. The Ranger

Rotten Tomatoes' 10 Worst Horror of 2018

1. Slender Man
  2. The Possession of Hannah Grace
  3. Winchester
  4. Blumhouse's Truth or Dare
  5. The Cloverfield Paradox
  6. The Nun
  7. Inside
  8. Insidious: The Last Key
  9. The Predator
  10. Hell Fest

• Thanks 1

As for my thoughts on the above lists:

I liked A Quiet Place, but I'm on the fence as to whether it's a horror film or science fiction, as the killer creatures are implied as having come from space. 

I've seen Annihilation and The Endless, but would consider neither horror. They're both science fiction, with the latter perhaps being a dark fantasy. I liked Annihilation, but The Endless was a big disappointment. To me it seemed like a film that thought it was much more clever than it actually was. 

I also wouldn't consider Revenge a horror film, but rather a suspense thriller. It was good, but not anything I need to revisit.

I liked PyewacketRavenousGhost Stories, and The Night Eats the World, but again, they were a one-and-done viewing for me. Mom and Dad squandered a good set-up with an uninspired second half. 

I have yet to watch all of the others that I haven't mentioned, although I have copies of several of them, or they're available to stream via Netflix or Amazon.

For once I've managed to not watch any from the "worst" list except for The Cloverfield Paradox (another one that's science fiction rather than horror), but I most likely will see more. I'm a glutton for punishment.

• Like 1

Based on what I’ve seen:

Hereditary, A Quiet Place, Annihilation -  Excellent.  Although I agree with you, Lawrence, the latter two lean more toward sci-fi.  I think Hereditary could become, dare I say, a horror classic.

Ghost Stories and The Nun – Okay. I liked Ghost Stories better. The Nun had a promising premise but didn’t follow through on it, relying too much on jump scares.

• Like 1

I haven't seen a lot of horror this year, only Hereditary and A Quiet Place, I think, and I would like to see Ghost Stories.

I enjoyed A Quiet Place, but I like Hereditary a lot better.

I watched a few more 2018 horror titles this week.

Apostle_poster.jpg

Apostle is a period-piece horror thriller from writer/director Gareth Evans (The Raid: RedemptionThe Raid 2). Dan Stevens (Downton AbbeyThe Guest) stars as a drug-addicted former missionary who travels to a remote British island inhabited by a strange cult. He's trying to find his sister who is reportedly being held for ransom, but Stevens intends on rescuing her and hurting the cult's leaders, played by Michael Sheen and Mark Lewis Jones. Stevens soon discovers that there's something even more sinister at work on this wretched island. The movie conveys its damp, decrepit atmosphere almost too well, as everything is gloomy and ugly. Stevens' "hero" is very flawed and not terribly likable. As the true nature of the island and the cult come to the fore, things get a bit more interesting, but no clear explanations are provided. I wasn't a fan of Lewis Jones' performance as the chief villain, though, and wished for a recast. The movie is also way too long at 129 minutes. I've seen much worse, but I had high hopes for this one which were sadly not met.   (5/10)

MV5BMjE3NjQzMDY0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzI2  220px-Day-of-the-dead-bloodline-2018.jpe

I also watched a couple of titles that I expected to be terrible, Corbin Nash (about a monster-hunting ex-cop), and Day of the Dead: Bloodline (a loose remake of George Romero's 1985 zombie film), and they met my expectations. Best to avoid these two. (both 3/10)

220px-CamPoster.jpg

I also watched Cam, which inexplicably was the second-best rated 2018 horror film on Rotten Tomatoes. It concerns a "cam girl" (a performer on live internet web-cam shows) who is desperate to rise to the top of the popularity rankings on her website. She begins indulging in ever more lurid sex shows in order to drum up viewers, but things take an unexpected turn when someone that looks exactly like her begins broadcasting on her web-page using her identity and becomes even more popular. The girl's mental state is stressed further and further as her life begins to fall apart on various fronts and as she tries to discover the origin of her impersonator. Perhaps this resonates more with people who have a greater concern for social media, as I found the film's web-cam community setting more pathetic than intriguing, and the film's eventual resolution silly.  (5/10)

• Thanks 1

I watched Hereditary last night. I loved it, thought it was one of the best horror films of the decade, and is currently my favorite movie of 2018.

• Like 2

I hate "Heridatary" I wanted to throw things at the screen at the end. "A Quite Place" is sci-fi monster movie not horror so is "Annihilation".  "Halloween" and "Overlord" were the best horror movies I saw in the theater.  'The Haunting of Hill House" was a very good as long it was a horror film but some of the episodes like the one about the addict brother felt more like a soap opera. I should have been shorter

I watched Mandy last night. Wow. Maybe the ultimate Nicolas Cage movie, with all that implies.

He and his scar-faced, fantasy artist wife (played by Andrea Riseborough) are menaced by a gang of cultists led by a messianic Linus Roache (Law & OrderPriest). The cultists are also in league with a group of motorcycle-riding demons that look like extras from Hellraiser. It's an extreme, bizarre, difficult movie that will put off most arthouse viewers and confuse and bewilder most traditional horror fans. The music is very good, the cinematography gorgeous to behold, and the decision to set it in 1983 is unusual yet inspired.

One of my favorites of the year, but I doubt very many people will like it. It easily ranks as one of the all-time drug movies, but it's a very bad trip. (9/10)

1.%2018181_Mandy_still1_NicolasCage%20KE

mandy-movie.jpg

MV5BNjkzYTA1NDktMGMzYS00NjI1LTkxYjktOWNh

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I watched Mandy last night. Wow. Maybe the ultimate Nicolas Cage movie, with all that implies.

He and his scar-faced, fantasy artist wife (played by Andrea Riseborough) are menaced by a gang of cultists led by a messianic Linus Roache (Law & OrderPriest). The cultists are also in league with a group of motorcycle-riding demons that look like extras from Hellraiser. It's an extreme, bizarre, difficult movie that will put off most arthouse viewers and confuse and bewilder most traditional horror fans. The music is very good, the cinematography gorgeous to behold, and the decision to set it in 1983 is unusual yet inspired.

One of my favorites of the year, but I doubt very many people will like it. It easily ranks as one of the all-time drug movies, but it's a very bad trip. (9/10)

1.%2018181_Mandy_still1_NicolasCage%20KE

mandy-movie.jpg

MV5BNjkzYTA1NDktMGMzYS00NjI1LTkxYjktOWNh

Is sound very Psychotronic

On 12/18/2018 at 7:00 PM, LawrenceA said:

I watched Hereditary last night. I loved it, thought it was one of the best horror films of the decade, and is currently my favorite movie of 2018.

Maybe I was expecting too much but I thought it was overrated -there are parts that are scary that weird little girl- but others were over the top - like the scene in which the mothers lists all her problems