Feego

TCM Remembers 2018

51 posts in this topic

I didn't realize Michele Carey had passed away. I "discovered" her in the '80's and immediately fell in love. I've watched "El Dorado" and "Live a Little, Love a Little" countless times since then and I can't take my eyes off her. She's like the '60's version of Jennifer Aniston. (Or. more appropriately, the other way around). 

27 minutes ago, MerryPickford said:

What if that lady from Gone With The Wind passes away? I forgot her name...

Dame Olivia de Havilland

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

She'll surely get shoehorned in!

Penny Marshall did......just a B&W photo though, no film clips

8 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

Also - Mary Carlisle has been inserted as well. A beautiful close up.  Thanks TCM for doing that.

At least they did that!

Oddly, they removed the clips from Alfie (for Lewis Gilbert) and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (for Milos Forman) in order to make these additions rather than just removing some of the filler shots.  Do they have some contractual obligation to that diner to use every last bit of footage? (He asked, facetiously)  Anyway, it's nice to see Mary Carlisle at last.

15 hours ago, Feego said:

Oddly, they removed the clips from Alfie (for Lewis Gilbert) and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (for Milos Forman) in order to make these additions rather than just removing some of the filler shots.  Do they have some contractual obligation to that diner to use every last bit of footage? (He asked, facetiously)  Anyway, it's nice to see Mary Carlisle at last.

LOL!

On 12/15/2018 at 8:32 AM, jinsinna13 said:

I thought it was cool how the tribute took me on a journey around town to familiar places like the candy store and the movie theater. The fireworks were a nice touch.

What I didn't like, though, was the song choice. It sounded like a song the Goo Goo Dolls rejected. With that being said, the Goo Goo Dolls song, "Name", would've been a much better song choice in my opinion.

I think they try to use lesser-known artists. I have purchased several albums simply because of the song used for TCM Remembers -- including Sophie Hunger and The Cactus Blossoms -- neither of whom I had heard.

5 minutes ago, KEBlevins said:

I think they try to use lesser-known artists. I have purchased several albums simply because of the song used for TCM Remembers -- including Sophie Hunger and The Cactus Blossoms -- neither of whom I had heard.

The lesser-known artists' songs cost less. This way they stay within their budget producing these segments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll chime in to say I like the 'TCM Remembers' tributes.  They're beautifully done, and for the most part, the music selected is very appropriate (sometimes the music chosen can be a real downer).

I binge-watched all the TCM Remembrances on YouTube this past week.  As of today, the 2018 edition had about 71,000 views, but it did not include the late additions of Mary Carlisle and Penny Marshall.  The last person shown on these tributes is usually someone who had lengthy or noteworthy careers or were big fans of TCM, so I jotted down the honorees for each year.  In all but two instances, the people shown last were actors or actresses.

2018--Burt Reynolds

2017--Robert Osborne

2016--Gene Wilder

2015--Maureen O'Hara

2014--Shirley Temple

2013--Peter O'Toole

2012--Ernest Borgnine

2011--Elizabeth Taylor

2010--Patricia Neal

2009--Karl Malden

2008--Paul Newman

2007--Ingmar Bergman

2006--Shelley Winters

2005--Anne Bancroft

2004--Marlon Brando

2003--Katharine Hepburn

2000--Walter Mathau

Now, there was no 'TCM Remembers' for 2001 and 2002 on YouTube.  I was reading some of the comments people had made over the past few years.  One person said they actually contacted TCM to find out why 2001 and 2002 were not available for viewing.  According to the poster, the person at TCM said the 2001 tribute had several significant omissions and that they weren't particularly proud of the effort they put out that year.  There was no mention given as to why the 2002 'TCM Remembers' wasn't included with the other years.  Anyway, I thought it was an interesting list to put together. 

• Thanks 3

Left out Chuck McCann who passed on 8 April, though largely of children's television, brilliant in 1968's The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter wherein, hands down, he should have won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor,  and was featured in other films such as 1970's The Projectionist in which he was the lead.

Perhaps the editing crew at TCM can insert Chuck NOW, simply as a matter of well deserved homage.  I met Chuck back in 1996 at CBS's "Black Rock" in NYC wherein he gave the eulogy I attended for fellow children's television actor and host, the famed Sandy Becker.  I told Chuck he was robbed of at least a Best Supporting Actor nomination for Lonely Hunter, wherein he smiled and thanked me.

Image result for chuck mCCANN heart is a lonely hunter

10 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

This is just a general query:

Does the music always suck on these " TCM Remembrances"?

Is it that they can't afford anything better or are they trying to be trendy?

I hadn't paid attention before, is it always this bad?

22 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The lesser-known artists' songs cost less. This way they stay within their budget producing these segments.

Thanks TopBilled--

I was on another thread with this question, and I knew you would have the answer.

I think music can enhance anything, but in the case with the music that they used this year-- just the opposite is the case.

I just turn it off because it has a tendency to perforate the whole thing.

For some reason I think the background music should relate to the people being honored-- which was pretty much what I noticed with the NBC compilation.

But, at the same time if they can't afford to do that it would be nice if they just did something that was on a level that at least related to the Artistic integrity of the people they were honoring, which would not be mediocre robotic garbage.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Thanks TopBilled--

I was on another thread with this question, and I knew you would have the answer.

I think music can enhance anything, but in the case with the music that they used this year-- just the opposite is the case.

I just turn it off because it has a tendency to perforate the whole thing.

For some reason I think the background music should relate to the people being honored-- which was pretty much what I noticed with the NBC compilation.

But, at the same time if they can't afford to do that it would be nice if they just did something that was on a level that at least related to the Artistic integrity of the people they were honoring, which would not be mediocre robotic garbage.

There's plenty of good classical music in the public domain that would work nicely with the end-of-the-year montage. They can "go cheap" but still be classy. As you say, the music needs to properly fit the images.

• Like 1

You know who nobody (and I mean NOBODY --- not TCM, CBS Sunday Morning, nor even the Emmy telecast) remembered in their In Memoriam tributes?

ROBERT MANDAN (star of TV's "Soap" and "Three's A Crowd"), Feb. 2, 1932--April 29, 2018.

Robert Mandan.jpg

On 12/30/2018 at 7:44 PM, midwestan said:

2013--Peter O'Toole

I remember that year. Peter O'Toole died in mid-December, right after the original video went up. They reedited it that year after he, Joan Fontaine, and Eleanor Parker passed away in quick succession. Before his death, Esther Williams was the final one in the montage.

On 12/15/2018 at 7:32 AM, jinsinna13 said:

I thought it was cool how the tribute took me on a journey around town to familiar places like the candy store and the movie theater. The fireworks were a nice touch.

What I didn't like, though, was the song choice. It sounded like a song the Goo Goo Dolls rejected. With that being said, the Goo Goo Dolls song, "Name", would've been a much better song choice in my opinion.

I disagree with you about the song choice.  My kids introduced me to Lord Huron music several years ago and I find them to be consistently exceptional.  This song, in particular, is one of my favorites from their most recent album Vide Noir.