Sign in to follow this  
papyrusbeetle

SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR(1947) on the fringes of "film noir"

12 posts in this topic

THIS is a creepy-fun film in an extremely weird way.

If you are a "Gilligan's Island" fan, don't miss it----because adorable Natalie Schafer steals it. She is about the only "fun"/"sane" character in the movie.

As is usual with Fritz Lang, sets and architecture are everything, and include tons of buried fear and angst.

The people, though, are a little incomplete.

Joan Bennett (who has never looked or been costumed better) has DREADFUL luck with screen husbands. Her nightmare world of I MARRIED A NAZI (the MAN I MARRIED)[1940] continues unabated in: SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, papyrusbeetle said:

thanks for these super photos!

My pleasure! I picked one with Natalie Schafer, since you mentioned her in your original post.

It might be fun to contrast  WHICH of the husbands in those 2 films (I MARRIED A NAZI, and SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR) were the most appalling.

IMHO, Michael Redgrave makes Francis Lederer look adorable by contrast. Lederer was a little confused by all the Nazi propaganda, but at least he was SANE.

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

On 12/19/2018 at 2:52 PM, papyrusbeetle said:

It might be fun to contrast  WHICH of the husbands in those 2 films (I MARRIED A NAZI, and SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR) were the most appalling.

IMHO, Michael Redgrave makes Francis Lederer look adorable by contrast. Lederer was a little confused by all the Nazi propaganda, but at least he was SANE.

I believe SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR was Redgrave's first American (Hollywood) film. The supporting cast is very good. In addition to Natalie Schafer, we have pros like Anne Revere and Paul Cavanagh.

On 12/17/2018 at 2:44 PM, papyrusbeetle said:

THIS is a creepy-fun film in an extremely weird way.

If you are a "Gilligan's Island" fan, don't miss it----because adorable Natalie Schafer steals it. She is about the only "fun"/"sane" character in the movie.

As is usual with Fritz Lang, sets and architecture are everything, and include tons of buried fear and angst.

The people, though, are a little incomplete.

Joan Bennett (who has never looked or been costumed better) has DREADFUL luck with screen husbands. Her nightmare world of I MARRIED A NAZI (the MAN I MARRIED)[1940] continues unabated in: SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR.

Bought that movie recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.

On 12/20/2018 at 7:51 PM, TopBilled said:

I believe SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR was Redgrave's first American (Hollywood) film. The supporting cast is very good. In addition to Natalie Schafer, we have pros like Anne Revere and Paul Cavanagh.

i was thinking Mourning Becomes Electra came earlier but apparently not. Thanks for this information.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GordonCole said:

i was thinking Mourning Becomes Electra came earlier but apparently not. Thanks for this information.

Sure thing. His wife Rachel Kempson appeared in a Universal film around this time. She had a role in A WOMAN'S VENGEANCE (1948). But I don't think Redgrave and Kempson stayed long in Hollywood. They soon returned to London.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:28 PM, TopBilled said:

Sure thing. His wife Rachel Kempson appeared in a Universal film around this time. She had a role in A WOMAN'S VENGEANCE (1948). But I don't think Redgrave and Kempson stayed long in Hollywood. They soon returned to London.

Always liked Rachel Kempson and have been a fan of Redgrave's since I saw him in The Browning Version when I was a kid at a boy's school much like the one in the film. Just the other night was looking at a youngish William Hurt in a film and thought he bore a bit of a resemblance to Redgrave in his early days. Thanx.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

Always liked Rachel Kempson and have been a fan of Redgrave's since I saw him in The Browning Version when I was a kid at a boy's school much like the one in the film. Just the other night was looking at a youngish William Hurt in a film and thought he bore a bit of a resemblance to Redgrave in his early days. Thanx.

As you may know, Kempson & Redgrave both appeared in the superior British war film THE CAPTIVE HEART (1946).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Captive_Heart

Michael Redgrave, courageous actor. He oughta be ranked with Olivier and Guinness, Millls, Laughton, Richardson, Burton, and Gielgud. He took the most astounding roles: weaklings, cowards, backbiters, alcoholics, drug addicts...the guy was fearless. He abandoned ego.

• Like 1