Sign in to follow this  
JeanneCrain

DirecTV price increase

35 posts in this topic

Due to increased costs of programming, an adjustment in the price of our programming packages is necessary.

New rates will be in effect on January 20, 2019.

Thanks AT&T for passing your programming cost increases onto us subscribers. :blink:

• Sad 2

I don't like paying more for DirecTV either, but it's a fact of life that whether it's cable of satellite or whatever, they all have yearly rate increases.

Yeah, it seems all cable providers( Comcast, WOW etc.) find reasons or ways to keep increasing their costs, but there are ways to get around them.  It's just that it IS a pain to have to go through all that from time to time.  Probably one of the benefits of "streaming" services and the like, for those of us disinterested in using them, will be that they'll force the services we already use to be more competitive in THEIR pricing in order to survive.

Sepiatone

I don't know what Direct TV is ...but in this country you don't have to pay anyone anything if you don't wish to

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I don't know what Direct TV is ...but in this country you don't have to pay anyone anything if you don't wish to

Installed mine in 1999, still using the SD format - no bells / whistles (DVR, etc)

D12_zoom.jpg

Round dish..

46DTVDE2_zoom.gif

...with dual LNB

Image result for old directv receiver dish

It's feeds an RCA multi switch.

RCA-Multiswitch-Multi-Switch-DirecTV-DSS

This makes installation easy, don't need a second person to help.

Fasdga-SF95-Digital-Satellite-Finder-Sig

• Like 1

I still don't get it. The idea of TV requiring anything more than an electrical cord to plug into a wall socket, mystifies me. To my way of thinking, it's just a television set sitting there on a shelf. Like any other appliance such as a microwave oven or a washing machine. Why does it need to be so high-powered and super-duper? At the end of the day its still: just a television set sitting there on a shelf.

Forking out any money other than what I originally paid for the set itself, strikes me as silly. If I buy a TV I don't want to have to keep feeding it money as if its some kind of pet.

I remember one time, a neighbor of ours had an utterly crazy "satellite dish" in his backyard. It was eight feet in diameter. Raised up on a giant axial mount. The cables  which trailed across the yard back to the house, were as thick as firehoses.

He didn't work for NASA, nor was he an ex-mercenary. Just an ordinary schlep, a working stiff. He had no interest in Indonesian kick-boxing events. Why on earth he needed to pull in signals so faint, was never clear to me.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I still don't get it. The idea of TV requiring anything more than an electrical cord to plug into a wall socket, mystifies me. To my way of thinking, it's just a television set sitting there on a shelf. Like any other appliance such as a microwave oven or a washing machine. Why does it need to be so high-powered and super-duper? At the end of the day its still: just a television set sitting there on a shelf.

Forking out any money other than what I originally paid for the set itself, strikes me as silly. If I buy a TV I don't want to have to keep feeding it money as if its some kind of pet.

I remember one time, a neighbor of ours had an utterly crazy "satellite dish" in his backyard. It was eight feet in diameter. Raised up on a giant axial mount. The cables  which trailed across the yard back to the house, were as thick as firehoses.

He didn't work for NASA, nor was he an ex-mercenary. Just an ordinary schlep, a working stiff. He had no interest in Indonesian kick-boxing events. Why on earth he needed to pull in signals so faint, was never clear to me.

Well it's free if you're receiving off air like a radio. This will somewhat make it like a microwave or washing machine.  You will only be limit to what's broadcasted within your given area.

60 Mile HD Antenna.

51QIoyi-pKL.jpg

This will be like a throwback to the days of "rabbit ears".

Rabbit-ears.jpg?fit=435,450&ssl=1

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My area had what could be considered the first "cable" system ever installed.  Around 1953 a man with vision installed a MATV (Master Antenna System) on steroids.  Designed for apartment buildings, he went to the extreme of wiring the entire town with it.  The telephone relay amplifiers were locally / specially made to pass on the 4 network channels that were receive on top of a mountain.

The system was upgraded to true cable (CNN / TBS, etc) in 1981

Only had to pay a small fee of 8 dollars during the 1960's using those small tear out coupon books.

clip_image001.png

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I don't know what Direct TV is ...

Surely you jest?

18 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

but in this country you don't have to pay anyone anything if you don't wish to

Jesting again?
Or perhaps you are referring only to "discretionary spending" available to those fortunate enough to have such an ability.
Of course I suppose that you may counter with one can always choose not to work at all, and therefore actually not pay anything to anyone. But that would be a very limited existence, and even for those that have "saved" enough to do so, monies are still extracted from their accounts in numerous insensitive ways.

4 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Yeah, back in the day a roof top antenna or a box with rabbit ears was all that was necessary. Plug it in, turn it on and whamo... "free" over the airwaves TV.
I understand that some who live within close proximity to those broadcast towers can still do it that way.
Perhaps you are among that fortunate group?

Still you are "sophisticated" enough to be on the internet. That means you either pay for (or have access to someone's) ISP.
So I know that you are being cynically facetious in order to make your point.
Understood loud and clear, BTW.

:D

I still fondly remember the laugh-filled day when my Dad bought some special rooftop antenna that was supposed to make it able for him to receive otherwise signals that were "blacked-out" during Detroit Lions' home football games. (tis was back in the mid '60's when they still had a team worth spending time and money watching).

We had a "relay" system going.. Dad at the chimney(where the antenna was attatched) turning it to and fro, shouting, "How's it now?" and me, at ladder top, relaying the "How's it now?" to my Mom who was listening at the kitchen window, who would then relay the "How's it now?" to my sister, located in front of the TV and going back and forth like that until the picture came in acceptably.   :D

My Dad didn't live to witness the advent of cable TV in our area, and often lamented it would be a good sales gimmick if those stores( usually appliance stores) that sold TVs would offer a free roll of aluminum foil for the "rabbit ears" with each TV purchase!  ;) 

I also remember our little TV top adapter used for picking up UHF channels for the old portable that didn't have UHF capability. B)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

• Markoff's phone bill: $20 per month
  • Markoff's 'internet' bill: $14 per month

just sayin' ^_^

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

just sayin' ^_^

Wow, that is very impressive.
But I'd like a few details about that $14/mo ISP.
First of all who are they? and are they only in NY?
Second, what kind of plan is it?
(i.e. what is your download and upload speeds, and is there a data cap?)

My mom had ATT for phone service for decades. This last winter her phone line kept crapping out.
She might have a dial tone in the AM, then later nothing for days. This began mid Oct.
She couldn't get a hold of any ATT tech support. I switched her phone and in-house lines out but still no worky.
I determined that the problem was from the exterior lines to the pole, or beyond, as those lines were as old as the house she's living in. I spent hours trying to contact someone at ATT that would come out and check her lines, but floundered being switched from one person to another, all based in the Philippines. There was an ATT store in town. I spent an hour in line just to be told that they were ATT sales only and couldn't provide a local contact for tech support. Nor were they able to cancel her service.
Fed up with ATT, I ended up purchasing a Straight-Talk Home-Phone Kit from Walmart for $49. It allowed me to bypass the land line and yet connect her familiar, large key corded handset directly to it. So far it has worked like a charm.
Her ATT "service" was bare minimum, local calls only for $25/mo, but after taxes and various surcharges her bill was about $48/mo for nothing. 
The new phone system allows her to talk anywhere in the states for as long as she wants for $15/mo plus local tax (Just under $17 total). Now she is happy, I am happy, and ATT is gone with good riddance.
I thought about getting another one of those sets for myself as well, but evidently I bought the last one in the state, and they are unavailable for purchase either through Walmart.com or directly from Straight-talk.
That particular unit has been discontinued and nobody can tell me if they will be replacing it with an upgraded model any time soon.

Sooooo.... I additionally ask for a few details regarding your $20/mo phone service?
i.e. who are they? and are they only in NY?
What kind of plan is it? What are the limitations/restrictions? etc.

Why sure pard. Glad to set ye on the right trail.

Probably there's numerous quibbles to raise about these details, many of you would likely never 'settle for the minimum amenities' I opted for. But facts are facts, those figures are the amount I pay --not a penny more --its been that way for 10 yrs --and I'm perfectly content. Low price is #1 priority with me. Oh, and I get good customer service too.

The phone company is Virgin Mobile. Originally I opted for them on the notion that by dint of them not being an American company, I was saving numerous annoying US surcharges.

Whether that proved out --or whether it is still true--I can't recall. I am a 'set it and forget it' kind of guy.

But it's $20 month, (no contract), for unlimited texts and 10 cents-per-minute voice. No data options. No storage options. No music. No pictures. No GPS. Nothing. Just voice and text. That's why its so cheap.

Internet provider:  Time/Warner (...now called 'Spectrum' cable, if I understand all the advertising).

No bundle. No package (since I have no TV). All I need is a www connection. Email and a few websites are all I partake of. I don't hardly even watch Youtube. So, speed is fine for me; (I don't know what numbers I requested offhand--likely, the lowest). Its no surprise that they raise the price if you ask for more speed. But since I never use the internet for streaming downloads of any kind whatsoever, nor do I use it for multi-player online gaming or any of that caca---I am able to enjoy low speed and low price and never notice a lag. $14 fish! $14 semolians! Flat fee! Lurv it.

Explore it yourself and you may just see the wisdom in my scheme. See, I'd rather spend my hard-earned cash on really important hobbies (sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll).

Good luck to ye!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I am a 'set it and forget it' kind of guy.

I can relate to that.

But it's $20 month, (no contract), for unlimited texts and 10 cents-per-minute voice. No data options. No storage options. No music. No pictures. No GPS. Nothing. Just voice and text. That's why its so cheap.

I figured it was bare bones, the cells that I carry for work are likewise.
To me a phone is a phone, and I don't like combining a phone with a camera or music player, or what have you. I like to keep all that separate.
One thing I don't do is text. But I see they have you at 10 cents per minute when you talk, or receive voice messages. So that's the catcheroo.
My work phones are all prepaid annually but they go by minutes as well. So I only use them for work and nothing else.
My social calls which can and have lasted for hours at a time I reserve for Skype ($30 something per year) which is unlimited for me in the states and Canada.
Rarely do I talk overseas anymore and when I do it is either business or Skype to Skype at no charge.

I never use the internet for streaming downloads of any kind whatsoever, nor do I use it for multi-player online gaming or any of that caca---I am able to enjoy low speed and low price and never notice a lag. $14 fish! $14 semolians! Flat fee! Lurv it.

Yeah, gotcha, if all I did was email I could have stuck with an old dial-up system, no speed required for that.
But that wouldn't work for me as I do stream most of my video entertainment which requires a consistent minimum 5mbps download. And streaming gobbles up the Gigabytes.
My current ISP (which just increased to over $40/mo) has a 10mbps download/1mbps upload, and a 1 Terabyte monthly data cap that so far I've been able to live with.
If I was close to a broadcast tower I could get by with just an antenna for TV, but I don't.
Generally use my "dumb" HDTV screens to either watch a DVD, or video stored on my hard drives.
I do have an overpriced TVSP that I have to "feed" monthly, but that is primarily used so that I can access WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND titles.
I freely admit that TCM is an "addiction" for me, but I suppose there are far worse things I could be addicted to (like sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll) ;)
So far that addiction only costs me money, and so long as I remain physically active, it has caused me no other harm that I can think of (except perhaps when it comes to sharing the joys of old movies with those not so afflicted).

So here you are on a "classic movie" board. But no TVSP and No TCM access at all I imagine.
You either utilize past memory to converse about movies, and/or you watch DVD's (which can be borrowed free from your local library). Most libraries also have internet access today as well...

So now I am even more curiouser than I was before... What brought you to these boards Sarge? 
Did you have prior experience with TCM back in '94 when they first came on the air?
Or have you been without TV for decades?
You are truly one of a kind, and a rare anomaly to be present here.

• Thanks 2

Telecomm: Aye. I figured there was a catch that works for me but wouldn't suit everybody.

• Yup I hardly ever make/receive voice calls. I'm a face-to-face type of person. There's phones at my 'place of employ' for business calls. My workplace tries to get me to upgrade but I am just not having it.
  • Socially, I don't really want anyone phoning me 'out of the blue' at any time of day or night (...what's that about? How annoying!) and on weekends especially (chill time) I want no interruptions. Zero. None at all. So, my personal phone is really just for emergencies, or to help find a crony in a location crowded with people.

These TCM Boards: random chance brought me here.

• I think I may have glimpsed the site's homepage a few years ago --glanced at it, bookmarked it for research purposes--but I never knew about the forums.
  • Wasn't aware of a functional TCM forum site until two months ago or whenever it was I joined. I was very surprised, boy let me tell you. However, I probably wont be here long.
  • Reason I was looking? I've simply been without knowledgeable people to chat film with lately.
  • It's been very enjoyable; I need to reiterate that more. A real treat to read TopBilled's elegant film reviews. The internet is really a wasteland as far as classic cinema discussion. I was really starting to notice it and rue the lack.
  • Television: I have definitely been "off" television for years. Not since grad school. No time for TV when one is tackling dual majors and building a career (at a great metropolitan newspaper).
  • The lone 'large screen' (Quasar 32" curved square whoo hooo) set I have is yes, just as you said--strictly for playing the occasional DVD. Although I havent done that either in so long, that the whole shebang sits idle under a pile of clothes.
  • The apartment I inhabit has a cute little Magnavox 13" with rabbit ears, and gets local stations ....and as far as I'm concerned that's just as fine. WOR-TV in NYC plays some classics and also...the Honeymooners.
  • Without any pride I can say that yes, my familiarity with classic flicks is memory-only. I grew up watching classics and they're steeped in me bones. I automatically recognize most of the names and titles TopBilled mentions in his reviews.
  • It all happened because even when just a lad, I watched classics practically non-stop. Why? Quality.
  • But as an adult, my bottom-line is that I am just too busy for media indulgence anymore. I get fidgety, if I sit passively watching a movie these days.
  • Oh well. Dat's da story, Loo-tenant. An' I'm sticking to it, see? You coppers got nothin' on me! I was driving those horses up the draw and they got away from me, that's all. That's no reason to talk of lynching a man!

• Thanks 2

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I'm a DirecTV customer and don't like

a price hike. On the other hand I own a few shares of AT&T, so I might benefit to a very

small degree from said price hike. Six of one...

• Haha 3

Do tell! That surprises me. I know that two months ago I had to choose a name and a password. Maybe when I first swung by the site was arranged differently? Was it more of a database and a homepage in support of the channel? Perhaps I just didn't see the forums when I first poked my head in. I can see that my 'first post' was only 45 pages back in my profile. 1,500 items back. Warner Bros cartoons and then Billy Jack.

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I know that two months ago I had to choose a name and a password. Maybe when I first swung by the site was arranged differently?

Since 2011 the boards have undergone several "revisions." A few of which required some subscribers to establish "new" accounts, with different or modified names, etc. Was quite annoying for many regulars here.
Eventually the site was able to link the old accounts with the new ones, and save all of the old posts, bringing them into the newer forums. For that, I am grateful.

11 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

just sayin' ^_^

My land line phone bill is $29 a month which includes to be UNLISTED (yes they charge for that :(), the internet is bundled with cable. Need only 50 MBPS.  Not into streaming, video game playing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lost In Space said:

Consumer Cellular has unlimited talk and text for $20/month.

I cannot imagine $14/month for Internet, unless you are on SNAP or SSI. AT&T does have a plan for that.

You're a good son Stephan55. Consumer Cellular also has a home phone device, which uses cellular signals.

You could also checkout Grandpad for your Mom.

My old dial up use to cost around that if I paid every 4 months. Had to drop it because of incompetence, the guy who ran it called me angrily complaining about MY COMPLAINING because they were providing unreliable service.

They went out of business shortly after!  Boo hoo my heart is breaking. :D

• Haha 1

I and the most of the rest of my wife's side still have "landline" telephones, mostly operated and paid for though our cable service bills.  finally switched to that about ten or so years ago because while I never had any technical problems with AT&T, their monthly bill kept increasing with no discernible increase in available service or such.  In other words, I kept paying MORE AND MORE for the "Same old-same old". And more frequently than it's happening with anything else.

I mean, I can see and accept price increases due to improvement, but not just to increase the price without getting better.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I and the most of the rest of my wife's side still have "landline" telephones, mostly operated and paid for though our cable service bills.  finally switched to that about ten or so years ago because while I never had any technical problems with AT&T, their monthly bill kept increasing with no discernible increase in available service or such.  In other words, I kept paying MORE AND MORE for the "Same old-same old". And more frequently than it's happening with anything else.

I mean, I can see and accept price increases due to improvement, but not just to increase the price without getting better.

Sepiatone

I still have an AT&T landline, and I know exactly what you're talking about. They've been slowly nickel & diming the increases for many years. I have the most basic phone service, no caller ID, no call waiting, etc. And yet the bill has now climbed to just over $50 a month, and that's also with no long distance calls.

My internet is also roughly $50 a month through Comcast, and it's the basic tier. In my area they only have residential and business, with no "extra use" options. That means I can stream HD movies to my heart's content with no data usage penalties. My WiFi is provided by a WiFi router that I bought, so there are no extra monthly charges for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1