Sign in to follow this  
rayban

Sadly Neglected Performances by Children

43 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, rayban said:

Yes, but it is not really a neglected performance.

You perhaps have not "neglected" her performanceand rate it highly but I've never seen it mentioned here by anyone else in the TCM audience. I think Fossey and the film seemingly are much less commented on in the TCM environs, than people like Natalie Wood, John Howard Davies, or others mentioned in this thread.

If you are saying the film intelligentsia who write books about movies do put Jeux Interdits and Fossey's performance in its proper perspective as a classic film and role, then yes, I agree with you wholeheartedly but I thought we were remarking on TCM poster standards. 

4 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

You perhaps have not "neglected" her performanceand rate it highly but I've never seen it mentioned here by anyone else in the TCM audience. I think Fossey and the film seemingly are much less commented on in the TCM environs, than people like Natalie Wood, John Howard Davies, or others mentioned in this thread.

If you are saying the film intelligentsia who write books about movies do put Jeux Interdits and Fossey's performance in its proper perspective as a classic film and role, then yes, I agree with you wholeheartedly but I thought we were remarking on TCM poster standards. 

Yes, probably more "poster standards" than "film intelligentsia".

Also, the neglect of children in film credits in the early decades of the film colony.

I am often amazed that a child's performance will not be mentioned in the cast listing on screen of a film.

And I sit there and really admire that performance.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, rayban said:

Yes, probably more "poster standards" than "film intelligentsia".

Also, the neglect of children in film credits in the early decades of the film colony.

I am often amazed that a child's performance will not be mentioned in the cast listing on screen of a film.

And I sit there and really admire that performance.

It's interesting you mention billing, Ray. Earlier today I watched REMBRANDT (1936).

I wasn't paying attention to the cast credits at the beginning, but after I watched the film, I wondered who played Laughton's teen son Titus. The credits at the end only listed the main adult actors. It surprised me that a kid who had so many scenes in the picture was not credited. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

It's interesting you mention billing, Ray. Earlier today I watched REMBRANDT (1936).

I wasn't paying attention to the cast credits at the beginning, but after I watched the film, I wondered who played Laughton's teen son Titus. The credits at the end only listed the main adult actors. It surprised me that a kid who had so many scenes in the picture was not credited. 

Yes, it seemed to be common practice in the early decades of filmmaking.

It's deeply insulting to child actors.

But it took a long time to "correct" the long-tolerated abuse.

• Thanks 1

Bobby Nelson in "Two Fisted Justice" (1931)

He was only 9 years old at the time, but he turned in a compelling performance as a twice-orphaned boy who witnesses a murder and gets caught up with a criminal gang. Very strong human interest story.

TwoFistedJustice46.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, talented young actors like Donn Gift and Bobby Nelson must be rescued from the terrible obscurity that time has thrown them into.

2 super favorites are:

Richard Eyer - a great boy actor who never stopped working! He was in SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD, and THE DESPERATE HOURS, and many more movies and television shows.

+

Kym Karath - she was Doris Day's daughter in THRILL OF IT ALL, and she was also in SOUND OF MUSIC.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, papyrusbeetle said:

Richard Eyer - a great boy actor who never stopped working! He was in SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD, and THE DESPERATE HOURS, and many more movies and television shows.

He's also very good as the son of Ann Sheridan and Steve Cochran in COME NEXT SPRING (1956).

Screen-Shot-2019-01-02-at-12.06.50-PM.jp

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

He's also very good as the son of Ann Sheridan and Steve Cochran in COME NEXT SPRING (1956).

Screen-Shot-2019-01-02-at-12.06.50-PM.jp

Richard Eyer became famous for "Friendly Persuasion".

He was also one of the beneficiaries of Liberace's good will campaign in "Sincerely Yours".

• Like 1

re: Richard Eyer---

I really started to appreciate him when I was watching shows starring Richard Conte (my fave actor.)

Eyer starred with him as his new stepson, a small boy who Conte is trying to build a relationship with.

Eyer STEALS the show with his acting, at a very mature level.

"Twentieth Century Fox Hour: Overnight Haul" (1956).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, papyrusbeetle said:

re: Richard Eyer---

I really started to appreciate him when I was watching shows starring Richard Conte (my fave actor.)

Eyer starred with him as his new stepson, a small boy who Conte is trying to build a relationship with.

Eyer STEALS the show with his acting, at a very mature level.

"Twentieth Century Fox Hour: Overnight Haul" (1956).

Yes, he's very mature in COME NEXT SPRING. He's a boy playing a boy, but there's an emotional depth and wisdom in his performances, which is rare for a kid that age.

• Like 1

A terrific child actor, he became famous for his role in "The Fly".

He died about a year or two ago.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 11:04 AM, rayban said:

Kirsten Dunst as Claudia in "Interview With The Vampire" -

MV5BMjAyMzQ0Mzk3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjA0

How about Dunst in the earlier BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES? 

Or, BROOKE SHIELDS in ALICE, SWEET ALICE? ('76)

Sepiatone

• Like 1