Sign in to follow this  
cdrocab

Ben Mankowitz remarks incurred while Watching movies leading towards Christmas

13 posts in this topic

Noticed several verbal gags played by our wonderful commentator Mr Mankowitz regarding Introduction to movies as we approach Christmas.

• Like 1

I enjoyed his comment that Alistair Sim largely stopped making movies "to return to his first love ... sitting in his easy chair, looking out his window and yelling at kids to get off his lawn. No, wait ... theater. The cue cards should have read his first love was the theater". 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, cdrocab said:

Noticed several verbal gags played by our wonderful commentator Mr Mankowitz regarding Introduction to movies as we approach Christmas.

Oh RATS! Missed it!

So, did he tell the one about the Three Wise Men and not being able to find a virgin???

I've always liked THAT one especially, and no matter if it's told by someone with a nasally voice like Ben MANKIEWICZ (<--that's how you spell his name here btw, dude) has OR NOT!!! 

Another example I noticed this evening in the intro for The Holly and the Ivy, Ben says something like "There's really just one shopping day left 'til Christmas.  Which means if you haven't shopped for your loved ones yet, you don't really love them."

Sort of caught me by surprise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

Ben opens at the Chuckle Hut Thursday January 3rd.

Yep! He's my opening act there.

(...btw, don't order the fish if you come for the dinner show...word is it made three people ill...well, we're hopin' it was the fish and not the show, anyway)

I'll be here all week.  Tip the veal and try the waitress.

• Haha 2

We are beyond Christmas now but Ben is still trying to wake us up - This evening while introducing Smokey and the Bandit for the Burt Reynolds tribute Ben compared it with the other big box office hit of 1977 and said it was a better movie than Star Wars!  Now he's treading on hallowed ground 😊

On 12/23/2018 at 10:27 PM, cdrocab said:

Ben is a sly dog who gets his digs in with non-pedantic aplomb. Or should I say with tongue planted firmly in cheek. Oh wait, I forgot. I was informed that I don't know the meaning of the phrase, tongue in cheek, as a poster here once explained to me, using that as the reason I don't care for Muller's intros, as if that would be the only possible reason ostensibly. 

I left aplomb out in the sun, and it turned into aprune.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Fedya said:

I left aplomb out in the sun, and it turned into aprune.

For your edification, the powers that be that sell prunes, now call them dried plums thanks to folks like you who deride their product with such pruney remarks.

Love your wit and wordplay skills.