Sign in to follow this  
Sgt_Markoff

adolescent frolics

6 posts in this topic

For research purposes I'm looking for examples of sexually-precocious teenage romantic comedies which pre-date the modern trend beginning with...oh, I suppose, "Fast Times at Ridgmont High" and  "Porky's" and all that kind of thing. What were the 'norms' and 'standards' prior to that, as far as plotting such adolescent frivolity, before that race-to-the-gutter began? In what way were such stories made fun and watchable in previous eras? Thanks!

p.s. ideal picks would be stories where co-eds mingle in any kind of camp or school or athletic program

Interesting subject for discussion.

I thought of DIRTY DANCING, which of course was produced in 1987, but set in the summer of 1963. Jennifer Grey's teen character loses her innocence with Patrick Swayze, which I don't think would have happened so explicitly if the film had actually been made in the early 60s.

• Thanks 1

I play that fun Mickey & Sylvia song practically whenever I'm in front of a jukebox. Reliable crowd-pleaser.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I play that fun Mickey & Sylvia song practically whenever I'm in front of a jukebox. Reliable crowd-pleaser.

There's a cute country version of the song "Love Is Strange" by Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton:

The video quality is a bit blurry, but you get the idea:

Question: would an example of pre-Ridgmont High filmmaking along these lines; have been the Annette & Frankie flicks?

16 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Question: would an example of pre-Ridgmont High filmmaking along these lines; have been the Annette & Frankie flicks?

Maybe. But I think the RIDGEMONT HIGH film owes more of a debt to GREASE.

And the TV show Square Pegs which starred Sarah Jessica Parker was derivative of FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH. At that point it was no longer frolics but pranks.

There are also the film and TV versions of DOBIE GILLIS to consider.