Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Films in 2019

59 posts in this topic

The 65 Most Anticipated Movies of 2019-

From John Wick: Chapter 3 and IT: Chapter 2 to Toy Story 4 and The Goldfinch, we look ahead to the biggest movies coming out in 2019.

"... we’ve pored over the release calendar and scoured the planet for news and details to bring you this list of the most anticipated 2019 movies.

Plenty of the upcoming movies are long-anticipated sequels, prequels, and reboots – think Zombieland 2Dark PhoenixToy Story 4, and John Wick: Chapter 3 – and there are a ton of hotly anticipated remakes, too: The Lion King and Dumbo among them.

Be sure to keep an eye out for some stellar-sounding originals, like the adaptation of The Goldfinch and Elton John biopic, Rocketman. It’s looking like another big year at the movies, and for your wallet – start marking your 2019 movie calendar now. .........

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/most-anticipated-2019-movies/

5 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

The 65 Most Anticipated Movies of 2019-

Looking over that list, I'm most looking forward to, in no particular order:

• Glass
  • Captain Marvel
  • Us
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Ad Astra
  • Godzilla: King of the Monsters
  • Ford vs. Ferrari
  • Spider-Man: Far from Home
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  • It: Chapter Two
  • Joker
  • Star Wars: Episode IX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/guillermo-del-toro-talks-pinocchio-confirms-terrifed-remake-1165632

Marrakech: Guillermo del Toro Talks "Political" 'Pinocchio,' Confirms 'Terrifed' Remake

“It's not a 'Pinocchio' for all the family,” said the Oscar winner of moving the tale to 1930s Italy.

Guillermo del Toro said his upcoming Pinocchioproject for Netflix will be a political parable, and not the kid-friendly fare of the competing Disney remake.

“It's not a Pinocchio for all the family,” he said of his story, set in 1930s Italy. So is it a political film? “Of course. Pinocchio during the rise of Mussolini, do the math. A puppet during the rise of fascism, yes, it is,” said the filmmaker.

‘Bird Box’ Is A Bad Movie, So Why Do So Many People Like It?

The undercooked apocalypse movie is the latest installment in the win-some-lose-some cultural experiment that is Netflix. And in terms of online popularity, it won.

......... “Bird Box” is like a medley that samples greatest hits from “A Quiet Place,” “The Happening,” “The Mist,” “Night of the Living Dead” and “Children of Men.” It’s dystopian apocalyptic chaos ― a genre I like! ― at its most clichéd. No wonder Netflix loved it; those movies made a ton of money and/or won defining critical favor. But if “Bird Box” tells us anything, it’s that these tropes have become too easy. Roving monsters of mysterious origins? Check. A survivors’ bungalow where isolationism becomes a point of contention? Yep. Grave implications about what it would mean to bring a child into this world? Of course! ........

I wonder how many people were coaxed into watching “Bird Box” after seeing Netflix boast about ratings, suffering the same case of FOMO that plagued you.

Make something seem like a blockbuster, and eventually it becomes one. On its own, “Bird Box” is a harmless misfire. But in the totality of Netflix’s short life, it demonstrates just how powerful such unchecked data can be. The conversation around the movie accelerated once we had that 45 million figure to latch onto, thereby letting a corporate Twitter account dictate what’s worthwhile. .....

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bird-box-netflix-review-bad-movie_us_5c2f9d8be4b0d468baa492d2?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

<_<

• Thanks 1

I enjoyed Bird Box well enough. It was a decent, high-gloss apocalyptic horror film. Not very original or surprising, but with some nice character turns by the better-than-average cast, and a refreshing air of mystery about the creatures, which are never seen, except for a bunch of inconsistent drawings, and never explained, lending them a Lovecraftian "things that should not be seen" flair. The film also has a terrific score and very good sound, an important aspect given the material. The last act is a bit too pat, but also not unexpected.

Most of the complaints that I've read have been rubbish, and after reading that "article" on HuffPost yesterday, the authors come across as a couple of real knobs. One of the authors asks the question "Why are so many people watching Bird Box instead of Roma?" While I think the question is moronic (these two movies are not directed toward the same audience), I can say that personally I enjoyed Bird Box quite a bit, and Roma very little.

• Thanks 2

Three new films hit screens this weekend --

A DOG'S WAY HOME (family drama)

REPLICAS (sci-fi thriller)

THE UPSIDE (comedy drama)

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

REPLICAS

THE UPSIDE

These two are reportedly terrible. They've both been on the shelf for a couple of years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

These two are reportedly terrible. They've both been on the shelf for a couple of years.

I guess they try to dump films they don't think will earn any money into the first part of January..?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One feature film is opening in America this Friday-- it's M. Night Shyamalan's GLASS, which reunites him with Bruce Willis. 

screen-shot-2019-01-14-at-6.18.42-pm.jpe

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2019 at 6:20 PM, TopBilled said:

screen-shot-2019-01-14-at-6.18.42-pm.jpe

It made $106 million in its first week.

Opening today --

THE KID WHO WOULD BE KING (a British-American fantasy)

SERENITY (a neo-noir)

screen-shot-2019-01-25-at-1.36.32-pm.jpe

Opening Friday --

MISS BALA (an action thriller)

THE INFORMER (a British action thriller)

VELVET BUZZSAW (a horror film)

screen-shot-2019-01-30-at-7.43.29-pm.jpe

Opening Friday --

screen-shot-2019-02-06-at-4.00.49-pm.jpe

COLD PURSUIT (an action thriller)

WHAT MEN WANT (comedy)

THE PRODIGY (horror thriller)

THE LEGO MOVIE 2: THE SECOND PART (animation)

Checking the local listings, my theater is getting Cold PursuitWhat Men Want, and The LEGO Movie 2. I mention this as 99% of the weekend box-office hits come to my theater, an indication of those with the widest distribution. That last movie is likely to be the weekend winner of the three coming here.

9 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Checking the local listings, my theater is getting Cold PursuitWhat Men Want, and The LEGO Movie 2. I mention this as 99% of the weekend box-office hits come to my theater, an indication of those with the widest distribution. That last movie is likely to be the weekend winner of the three coming here.

The subtitle for the THE LEGO MOVIE 2: THE SECOND PART seems humorously redundant. Like saying SUPERMAN III: THE THIRD PART or ROCKY V: THE FIFTH PART.

On another note, GLASS is the biggest moneymaker so far in 2019. It has earned over $200 million. Nothing else has even earned half that amount.

THE UPSIDE ended up doing better than expected, with $83 million.

SERENITY flopped with audiences and critics.

On 2/6/2019 at 6:42 PM, TopBilled said:

The subtitle for the THE LEGO MOVIE 2: THE SECOND PART seems humorously redundant. Like saying SUPERMAN III: THE THIRD PART or ROCKY V: THE FIFTH PART.

It looks like The LEGO Movie 2 is going to be considered a disappointment, despite it most likely being the #1 movie of the weekend. It's seems to be underperforming to a very noticeable degree.

On another note, the Liam Neeson movie Cold Pursuit is doing as well or better than original, pre-controversy estimates projected. So the negative publicity didn't hurt.

39 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

It looks like The LEGO Movie 2 is going to be considered a disappointment, despite it most likely being the #1 movie of the weekend. It's seems to be underperforming to a very noticeable degree.

On another note, the Liam Neeson movie Cold Pursuit is doing as well or better than original, pre-controversy estimates projected. So the negative publicity didn't hurt.

I expected COLD PURSUIT to be a hit. It seemed like it was intelligently marketed. 

Velvet Buzzsaw Is Pure, Absurd, Soulless Fun

The director of Nightcrawler reunites with Jake Gyllenhaal and Rene Russo for a gleefully gory parody of the fine-art world.

"....... Gilroy’s new movie reunites the director with his Nightcrawler stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Russo. This time, they’re all making fun of the preening art scene, ......

In Velvet Buzzsaw, art and commerce aren’t merely intertwined; they’re feeding off each other in unpredictable, dismaying ways. Could it be that Gilroy has a few complaints about the state of his own industry? Swap out some of the characters’ jobs, and Velvet Buzzsaw could really be parodying any creative field, where the debut of new work made without industry interference and with unbridled passion is seen as potentially paradigm-shifting. Morf, who has grown bored of installations that feature talking robots and humming metal spheres, is inspired to investigate the primal nature of Dease’s paintings; he quickly discovers a dark history that distresses him but that only further jacks up the prices. ........

In the end, Velvet Buzzsaw is a pretty soulless piece of art about the soullessness of art; but that doesn’t mean it can’t have a little fun proving its point.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/02/velvet-buzzsaw-netflix-review-dan-gilroy-jake-gyllenhaal-morf/581716/?utm_campaign=the-atlantic&amp;utm_content=edit-promo&amp;utm_term=2019-02-01T16%3A48%3A05&amp;utm_medium=social&amp;utm_source=twitter

=========================================

giphy.gif

• Like 1

No movies are opening this Friday (they've all been pushed up because of Valentine's Day?)...

On Wednesday the 13th, we will have:

HAPPY DEATH DAY 2U (great title for a slasher film)
ISN'T IT ROMANTIC (fantasy)

Then on Thursday the 14th, it's:

ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL (cyberpunk action film with screenplay by James Cameron)
FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY (British sports film)

screen-shot-2019-02-11-at-6.11.38-am.png

Only one release will occur in the United States this week. It's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON: THE HIDDEN WORLD. The anticipated animation fantasy film, from DreamWorks & Universal, premiered overseas a month ago and has already earned $172 million. It will go over the $200 million mark this week. Reviews have been overwhelmingly positive.

screen-shot-2019-02-18-at-9.21.03-am.jpe

The top grossing film of 2019 is now a Chinese sci-fi flick that was released on the 5th of February. In less than two weeks it has earned more than $600 million. It is already the second highest grossing film of all time in China.

screen-shot-2019-02-18-at-9.32.24-am.jpe