mr6666

Films in 2019

198 posts in this topic

Opening Friday

THE INTRUDER (thriller)

UGLYDOLLS (animated comedy)

EXTREMELY WICKED SHOCKINGLY EVIL AND VILE (crime biopic)

LONG SHOT (rom-com)

screen-shot-2019-04-30-at-7.24.16-am.jpg

33 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

This Friday

as well as

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu, which many expect to be a big hit, but which I have no interest in at all.

1551247571-Detective_Pikachu.jpeg?d=600x

The Hustle, a gender-swap remake of Bedtime Story/Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

THEHUSTLE.png

Poms, this year's older-female-demographic comedy

Poms-Movie-2019.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

A Pokemon movie was the only movie I walked out from at a movie theatre. True story.

Yeah, I don't get the appeal. It seems like it's intended for very small children, like age 7 and under, but I've read a lot of grown men saying they were excited about this new movie. I had generally aged out of such things long before Pokemon came along, much like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, or the Power Rangers. But at least with that last one I saw the Godzilla-movie appeal of the old show. And I can't say too much, since I still enjoy some of the superhero movies.

• Like 1

I have a feeling POMS is going to be sleeper hit. It seems like the kind of movie that will draw crowds (such as older women who don't normally go to the cinema much anymore).

I also think it will help lead to more roles for actresses over a certain age.

It's really nice to see character actress Celia Weston get such prominent billing.

Review of Avengers and criticism of the entire MCU/ superhero franchises

https://jacobitemag.com/2019/05/14/capeshits-endgame/

18783350481_8d623c6391_o.jpg?resize=750,

If there is a culture war, nerds won it seven years ago. Since 2012 saw the release of the first Avengers film, self-described geeks have, through reckless spending and uncritical word-of-mouth support, made video games and comic-book movies the dominant cultural forces around the globe. A few short years was all it took to see tweens dreaming of professional streaming careers and a big budget Aquaman film becoming a highly anticipated release.

These massive spectacles rake in billions of dollars and as many adoring fans, forcing any enterprise that can’t match that level of financial gain so far into the periphery it’s a wonder other properties get made at all. Preferring something else, something without pastel-shaded heroes and villains, is not just unthinkable to fans, but increasingly untenable in reality. Even a substantial degree of political discourse is centered around dissecting the social responsibility movies, TV series and games have. More than ever before, audiences view their world through the lens of the content they consume.

What’s more, the distinctions between all of these titles are rapidly blurring. A third of the way through Endgame, the latest and final installment of the Avengers quadrilogy, Bruce Banner and obnoxious anthropomorphic raccoon “Rocket” visit Thor in New Asgard. The once-buff Thor, in a depressive rut following Thanos’ wide scale genocide of half the life on Earth, now sports a hefty beer gut. As Banner and Rocket attempt to persuade him into returning to the team, one of Thor’s roommates plays Fortnite. The action is interrupted for a solid half-minute when Thor hops on voice chat and chews out a rude player, excoriating him as a basement dweller and threatening to shove his arms up his “butt.”

It’s tempting to think of this as self-aware; comic book fans have long been associated with loserdom, and a marginally smarter movie might have the audacity to poke fun at its own audience. But like most moments in Endgame that don’t involve punching, this scene merely asks that the audience laugh in recognition. We know what Fortnite is, and we know what a loser gamer who lives with his mother looks like. It’s funny to see these things on the big screen, just like it’s funny when the Hulk “dabs,” or when Tony Stark quips that Rocket looks like a Build-a-Bear.

It fails at even the most basic of filmmaking conventions. Its sole goal is to force as many characters from within the franchise into its excruciatingly long runtime. Endgame is, quite transparently, a 181 minute cross-brand advertisement. Characters make quips about Axe Body Spray. Everyone seems to be driving an Audi. A dramatic moment involves a ringing Google Pixel, which the camera lingers on for what feels like an eternity. This is excluding the $200 million worth of promotional tie-ins with Ulta, Ziploc, McDonald’s and countless others.

More than that, it is a $400-million advertisement for the Marvel Cinematic Universe itself. Every character fans could dream of gets screen time, and Endgame’s status as the second highest-grossing film of all time a mere week after its premiere all but ensures each of these heroes will return to the big screen within the next decade. Likely much sooner, given that nine new movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe are slated for release by July 2022. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is the apex of American culture; it is our biggest moneymaker, it dominates water cooler talk. It can be discussed with any person of any age.

-

Frankfurt School grouch Theodor Adorno made essentially the same point in Dialectic of Enlightenment, in which he famously attacks the ascendant “culture industry”:

“The people at the top are no longer so interested in concealing monopoly: as its violence becomes more open, so its power grows. Movies and radio need no longer pretend to be art. The truth that they are just business is made into an ideology in order to justify the rubbish they deliberately produce. They call themselves industries; and when their directors’ incomes are published, any doubt about the social utility of the finished products is removed.”

• Thanks 1

Coming up this Friday:

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 8.39.20 AM.jpeg
THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR (romance drama) Great title!

JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 (action thriller)

A DOG'S JOURNEY (fantasy drama)

THE SOUVENIR (British drama)

THE TOMORROW MAN (drama)

• Like 1

I wanted to ask those who have been watching the new crop of studio films--

Which ones do you think have been the best so far in 2019?

Are there any low-budget or independent flicks that deserve a bit of attention?

On 5/15/2019 at 10:39 AM, TopBilled said:

I wanted to ask those who have been watching the new crop of studio films--

Which ones do you think have been the best so far in 2019?

Are there any low-budget or independent flicks that deserve a bit of attention?

Since nobody replied, does this mean nobody's watching any of the new releases..? :) 

Coming up this Friday:

Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 7.31.27 PM.jpeg
BOOKSMART (coming of age comedy)

ALADDIN (musical fantasy)

BRIGHTBURN (superhero horror)

:rolleyes:

Aladdin (2019) review-

".....The remake—directed by Guy Ritchie, with Will Smith taking over for the late Robin Williams in the role of The Genie—flips those priorities. That’s not to say that it’s never fun, because it sometimes is—just that it’s more often lumbering, patchy, meandering, and generally bereft of inspiration. It’s a dancing elephant of a movie. It has a few decent moves, but you’d never call it light on its feet.

Written by John August (“Big Fish”) and rewritten by Ritchie, with music and songs by Alan Menken (and the late Howard Ashman) plus a couple of original tunes intended to qualify the film for Best Original Song Oscars, the film is unfortunately a perfect illustration of an observation by Josh Raby,

summing up this era of both Disney features and computer animation: “Using CGI to turn expressive animated films into photoreal reboots feels like using a magic wand to make a toaster.” .......

This “Aladdin” is two hours and eight minutes long, 37 minutes longer than the original.

This is also part of a trend in theatrical films: perhaps the increasingly long average runtimes of special-effects driven blockbusters are a response to complaints that tickets are too expensive, which is actually a way of saying that real wages haven’t risen substantially since the early 1970s: a longer movie = “getting more for your money” .........

As is often the case with the recent Disney remakes, this one seems to adhere to the same misconception that affects the rest of the film industry, particularly where science fiction adventures, superhero narratives, and fairy tales are concerned:

that if it’s animated, i.e. a “cartoon,” it’s somehow not a “real movie,” and thus not worthy of the automatic respect bestowed upon the most expensive and heavily promoted motion pictures, ........

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/aladdin-2019

=========================================

& PLEASE STOP w/lame CGI remakes of animated Classics!!

:angry:

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2019 at 9:02 PM, mr6666 said:

& PLEASE STOP w/lame CGI remakes of animated Classics!!

Not likely...

"Walt Disney Pictures’ “Aladdin” opened on Friday and has managed to rack up the third highest opening weekend for the year, coming in ahead of expectations.

The film is set to earn an estimated $86 million for the three-day weekend and $105 million through the four-day Memorial Day holiday weekend. It also opened with $121 million internationally, giving it an estimated global opening of $207 million (not including Monday U.S. figures)."

http://www.darkhorizons.com/aladdin-opening-box-office-beats-expectations/

and The Lion King is right around the corner...

• Sad 1

Also opening this Friday (one-word titles are popular this year):

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 7.10.38 PM.jpg

and

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 7.09.28 PM.png

24 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

and The Lion King is right around the corner...

And we all know that will be huge. Although it could prove controversial as a lot of 90s kids are very touchy about anybody messing with it. But it will still make a bundle.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-rocketman-ma-worldwide-box-office-opening-preview-1202623781/

‘Godzilla: King Of The Monsters’ To Crush ‘Aladdin’s Lamp With $230M+ Global Bow; ‘Rocketman’ & ‘Ma’ To Rock In Counter-Programming Play

With superhero fever cooled down for about a week until Disney/Fox’s Dark Phoenix, the world is primed for a big spectacle, shifting interest to monsters, and Elton John.

Legendary builds out of its Japanese-classic beasts inspired franchise with its third installment Godzilla: King of the Monsters in which the green, continually irate reptile encounters more large animal enemies like himself, i.e. Mothra, Rodan, and the three-headed King Ghidorah without any concern for the greater Earth, its environment or population.

This production, which we hear cost $170M before P&A, will be completely dependent on overseas should it emerge into the black, and all in Godzilla and friends should see an estimated worldwide opening of $230M-235M, which by the way, stomps on Aladdin‘s $213.5M global take-off last weekend, and the global beginnings of Legendary’s 2014 redux Godzilla ($196M unadjusted for inflation and currency exchange rates) and 2017’s Kong: Skull Island ($146.1M).

Godzilla: King of the Monsters will look for B.O. crowns in 75 offshore markets (sans Spain) including Japan and China for an overseas opening of $180M. How low or high that numbers goes is contingent on the amount of fire coming out of China.

• Thanks 1

Also opening on Friday:

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 4.03.17 PM.png

LATE NIGHT
DARK PHOENIX
THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS 2
THE LAST BLACK MAN IN SAN FRANCISCO

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7122347/Daniel-Craig-Rami-Malek-struggle-time-film-scenes-Bond-25.html

He's still expecting you, Mr Bond: Daniel Craig's ankle injury means producers can't find time for him to film showdown with baddie Rami Malik on 'cursed' 007 movie 

• Production on the upcoming James Bond film is said to have hit a bump in the road as stars Daniel, 51, and Rami, 38, are unable to film together
  • The James Bond actor recently underwent an operation as a result of tweaking his ankle ligaments after falling during filming in Jamaica back in May
  • As the screen star prepares to return to work in the coming weeks, Bohemian Rhapsody's Rami will be occupied with other filming commitments
  • Award-winning actor Rami is set to play the villain in the hotly-anticipated film, set for release on April 3 2020
  • The scheduling difficulties of the movie's actors comes after three explosions went off at Pinewood studios after a stunt went wrong during filming this month
  • Health and Safety officials arrived on the set of the beleaguered movie after an explosion ripped a hole in a sound stage and injured a member of the crew
  • The incident is the latest in a slew of hiccups to plague the movie - with director Danny Boyle quitting, the writing team being added to and Daniel's injury 
  • The latest film sees Bond living a tranquil live in Jamaica after leaving active service before Felix turns up asking for help in a mission to rescue a scientist 
  • Also joining the cast are Dali Benssalah, Lashana Lynch, Ana De Armas as Paloma, David Dencik and Billy Magnussen 
  • Daniel Craig's recent ankle injury means producers can't find time for him to film his hotly-anticipated showdown with baddie Rami Malik on the 'cursed' Bond 25'.

Earlier this month, James Bond actor Daniel, 51, underwent an operation as a result of tweaking his ankle ligaments after falling during filming for a high-octane scene in Jamaica back in May.

And as the screen star prepares to return to work in the coming weeks, Bohemian Rhapsody's Rami, 38, who will play the movie’s villain, will be occupied with other filming commitments.

• Detailing the actor's filming clashes, a source said: 'Filming was meant to finish in September but now it's been pushed back to late October, early November.' 

• 'But they still need to find a time for Daniel and Rami to film together -  007 must come face-to-face with the villain. It's a complete logitical nightmare', an insider told The Sun

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7122347/Daniel-Craig-Rami-Malek-struggle-time-film-scenes-Bond-25.html

He's still expecting you, Mr Bond: Daniel Craig's ankle injury means producers can't find time for him to film showdown with baddie Rami Malik on 'cursed' 007 movie

Sometimes films with troubled production histories ending up becoming huge-huge hits. And I think this one most certainly will be a winner at the box office.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Sometimes films with troubled production histories ending up becoming huge-huge hits. And I think this one most certainly will be a winner at the box office.

I will certainly watch it. James Bond is my favorite movie series.

• Like 1

Just now, Gershwin fan said:

I will certainly watch it. James Bond is my favorite movie series.

It's one of my favorite movie franchises too.

• Like 1