mr6666

Films in 2019

198 posts in this topic

Also opening tomorrow:

MEN IN BLACK: INTERNATIONAL (science fiction action comedy)

THE DEAD DON'T DIE (zombie comedy, and it's not even close to Halloween)

Tomorrow:

TOY STORY 4 (animation fantasy)

CHILD'S PLAY (horror comedy)

ANNA (action thriller)

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 5.40.35 PM.jpeg

On 6/12/2019 at 8:16 AM, TopBilled said:

Opening Friday. Three generations are featured in 

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is screen-shot-2019-06-12-at-6.12.58-am.jpeg

I hope the theme does justice to the Isaac hayes classic.

there is only one shaft and Roundtree is he.

best version of the theme is performed by erich kunzel and the Cincinnati pops.

24 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I hope the theme does justice to the Isaac hayes classic.

there is only one shaft and Roundtree is he.

best version of the theme is performed by erich kunzel and the Cincinnati pops.

As you can see in the movie poster, Roundtree is in this film. 

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Tomorrow:

TOY STORY 4 (animation fantasy)

I thought a fourth movie would have been a mistake after the ending to Toy Story 3, which was perfection. But Toy Story 4 is straight killing it among critics; 98% at this moment with 204/208 Fresh ratings on RottenTomatoes. It's making me hyped to see it, it can live up to the trilogy and continue the trend of it being one of the best animated movie series ever, animated, CGI or what have you.

On 5/27/2019 at 10:27 PM, TopBilled said:

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 7.09.28 PM.png

Bit late on this one but Octavia Spencer is Ma, literally and figuratively. She just owns it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ampersand said:

I thought a fourth movie would have been a mistake after the ending to Toy Story 3, which was perfection. But Toy Story 4 is straight killing it among critics; 98% at this moment with 204/208 Fresh ratings on RottenTomatoes. It's making me hyped to see it, it can live up to the trilogy and continue the trend of it being one of the best animated movie series ever, animated, CGI or what have you.

Bit late on this one but Octavia Spencer is Ma, literally and figuratively. She just owns it.

It's nice to see comments from people who have been watching these new films.

• Thanks 1

On Wednesday the horror thriller ANNABELLE COMES HOME hits screens.

Then on Friday it's director Danny Boyle's musical comedy-drama YESTERDAY.

Also the 2018 British drama OPHELIA makes its way into American theaters.

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 10.51.53 PM.jpg

I saw YESTERDAY yesterday (Sat, the day after opening day.)

It wasn't a full theater at the 1:30pm showing, which surprised me given all the press it has had.

If you don't think too hard about the film, it's a lot of fun and Himesh Patel sings nicely to most of these iconic Beatles songs ("Help" being the exception for me) and is a very likeable character, even though he is playing the role of a plagiarist.

If you do think deeper about the film, a few scenes seem like they maybe should have thought of a way to complete their intent of showing the impact of a non-Beatles existence. If that sentence seems vague, it's because it's a spoiler I'm referring to which writer Richard Curtis and director Danny Boyle wanted to keep under wraps until viewing the film.

Other than that, I was entertained by the entire cast (Kate McKinnon especially.)

Anyone else see it yet?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I saw YESTERDAY yesterday (Sat, the day after opening day.)

It wasn't a full theater at the 1:30pm showing, which surprised me given all the press it has had.

If you don't think too hard about the film, it's a lot of fun and Himesh Patel sings nicely to most of these iconic Beatles songs ("Help" being the exception for me) and is a very likeable character, even though he is playing the role of a plagiarist.

If you do think deeper about the film, a few scenes seem like they maybe should have thought of a way to complete their intent of showing the impact of a non-Beatles existence. If that sentence seems vague, it's because it's a spoiler I'm referring to which writer Richard Curtis and director Danny Boyle wanted to keep under wraps until viewing the film.

Other than that, I was entertained by the entire cast (Kate McKinnon especially.)

Anyone else see it yet?

Sounds very interesting. I haven't seen it yet.

Only two films are opening this week...

Tomorrow it's SPIDER-MAN FAR FROM HOME.

And on Wednesday we have a Swedish horror film:

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 5.52.58 AM.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 3:02 AM, TopBilled said:

On Wednesday the horror thriller ANNABELLE COMES HOME hits screens.

Then on Friday it's director Danny Boyle's musical comedy-drama YESTERDAY.

Also the 2018 British drama OPHELIA makes its way into American theaters.

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 10.51.53 PM.jpg

I've been wanting to see Yesterday since the day it was announced, since Richard Curtis's romantic comedies are always a delight. Still hasn't opened in town though. :(

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

I've been wanting to see Yesterday since the day it was announced, since Richard Curtis's romantic comedies are always a delight. Still hasn't opened in town though. :(

I hope it comes your way soon; it's quite a lot of fun!

• Like 2

Saw Child's Play (2019) last week, was sitting on posting about it and while it isn't as good as the original, it at least tried to be different and not be a shot-for-shot remake for better or worse. But Chucky just had his switches flipped, all limiters off and an AI going rogue because of course they would have limiters; and it's a gradual thing instead of immediate serial killer. Some good black comedy, good acting but nothing that will win awards but the thing that should win an award is Mark Hamill's rendition at the end of the piece for best song (Last bit of credits in the film)

Bear McCreary - Theme from Child's Play (Official Audio) - 3:09 for Mark Hamill

So magnificently creepy and worth staying through the credits for aside from the other good credits music. I enjoyed it and found it good but I was a bit hyped for it and less judgemental and critical of movies, it's like a 6 or a 7/10, which is like the average for me. Also some good blood, so it doesn't let down on that department and it's now hip and modern, to attract the tech-savvy youthful audience demographic.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Also opening on Friday

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 12.32.01 PM.jpg

and

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 12.30.46 PM.png

The Farewell looks and sounds fantastic. As for Stuber, I think that the most interesting thing about it is that its Mira Sorvino's return to studio filmmaking. She was, as you recall, blackballed almost 20 years ago and this is her first studio film since Reservation Road at Focus Features in 2007.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CinemaInternational said:

The Farewell looks and sounds fantastic. As for Stuber, I think that the most interesting thing about it is that its Mira Sorvino's return to studio filmmaking. She was, as you recall, blackballed almost 20 years ago and this is her first studio film since Reservation Road at Focus Features in 2007.

I have a feeling THE FAREWELL will be a sleeper hit, appealing to people who are tired of blockbuster superhero movies. 

• Like 3

Relatives were visiting and as usual we got onto the subject of movies. It was noted NONE of us saw a memorable 2019 movie. The only movies we talked about were mini series or streaming, nothing interested any of us enough to go to the theater in 2019.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:56 AM, TopBilled said:

Only two films are opening this week...

Tomorrow it's SPIDER-MAN FAR FROM HOME.

And on Wednesday we have a Swedish horror film:

We saw the new Spiderman movie with a youngster.  Perfectly serviceable popcorn movie aimed at a little younger (tween/teen) audience.  Spidey goes on a class trip and has to deal with teenage troubles while battling a baddie.  Keeping with the Avengers tradition it was a little too long for us.  We saw Hereditary, the previous movie by the director of Midsommar, and I found it to be relentless.  There was no break in the misery and horror. Even though I could appreciate the direction and acting I never want to see it again.  Midsommar sounds similarly heavy from what I've read.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peebs said:

We saw the new Spiderman movie with a youngster.  Perfectly serviceable popcorn movie aimed at a little younger (tween/teen) audience.  Spidey goes on a class trip and has to deal with teenage troubles while battling a baddie.  Keeping with the Avengers tradition it was a little too long for us.  We saw Hereditary, the previous movie by the director of Midsommar, and I found it to be relentless.  There was no break in the misery and horror. Even though I could appreciate the direction and acting I never want to see it again.  Midsommar sounds similarly heavy from what I've read.  

Thanks. It's good to get feedback on some of these recent films.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Relatives were visiting and as usual we got onto the subject of movies. It was noted NONE of us saw a memorable 2019 movie. The only movies we talked about were mini series or streaming, nothing interested any of us enough to go to the theater in 2019.

Top-rated non-documentary English-language films of 2019 so far:

1. Toy Story 4
  2. Booksmart
  3. Little Woods
  4. The Mustang
  5. Avengers: Endgame
  6. Us
  7. Wild Rose
  8. The Last Black Man in San Francisco
  9. Diane
  10. Fighting with My Family

The only one that I've seen was Us, and I can't imagine that it will make my personal top ten of the year list. I haven't even heard of half of the others above. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Top-rated non-documentary English-language films of 2019 so far:

1. Toy Story 4
  2. Booksmart
  3. Little Woods
  4. The Mustang
  5. Avengers: Endgame
  6. Us
  7. Wild Rose
  8. The Last Black Man in San Francisco
  9. Diane
  10. Fighting with My Family

The only one that I've seen was Us, and I can't imagine that it will make my personal top ten of the year list. I haven't even heard of half of the others above. 

Is this top rated in terms of box office? Or some sort of poll?