Sign in to follow this  
GordonCole

Classical music

59 posts in this topic

"Miserere mei, Deus" (Have mercy on me, O God) by Gregorio Allegri, a setting of Psalm 51. Sung in Maurice by The Choir of Kings College Cambridge. One of the most exquisite pieces of music ever written.

8 hours ago, kingrat said:

What a fine post, BingFan. Another point is that more homes had pianos, and thus more children took piano lessons. This was considered part of a typical middle-class upbringing. If you had no particular talent for playing the piano, like me, you nonetheless learned the names of various composers and learned some of their musical themes, and maybe complete works, that you liked. It was easy to develop a greater appreciation for and knowledge of classical music later in life if that opportunity came your way. 

I often related an amusing( to me) construct on the growing( over the years) popularity of the guitar by mentioning the "more homes had pianos" thing.  Was a time( before MY time anyway) when the most popular guy at any party the teen-agers were having was the guy who could play the piano.  Kids would gather 'round and sing along to the popular songs of the day.  Then, musical tastes and trends changed, rock'n'roll came along and too, then eventually FOLK music took over by storm, and next thing you knew every third guy knew at least five guitar chords and maybe a few Dylan and Woody Guthrie tunes and eventually, by the later '60's the most popular guy at parties was the guy with the POT!  ;)  But you get my drift....

And too, when later groups like ELO and ELP started doing "rock" versions of Copeland and such, or adding "classical" elements into their music, more and more found theirselves getting interested in ACTUAL classical music.  ;) 

Know many who took THEIR first interest after hearing THIS.....

Sepiatone

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And too, when later groups like ELO and ELP started doing "rock" versions of Copeland and such, or adding "classical" elements into their music, more and more found theirselves getting interested in ACTUAL classical music.  ;) 

Know many who took THEIR first interest after hearing THIS.....

And, as "Xanadu" and "Electric Dreams" proved in the 80's, there are no bad movies with ELO music on the soundtrack.  B)

There was also that brief fad in the early 80's to sell familiar classical themes to the post-Disco/pre-Aerobics crowd:

(...Hey, most of them were new to us, back then.)

Growing up, I was aware of a lot of classical music because my dad listened to it. I remember being a bit confused the first time I saw 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY because of the use of classical music in the film. I had never seen a film before then in which the film's music was not written specifically for it. My dad had to explain it to me. 😄

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EricJ said:

There was also that brief fad in the early 80's to sell familiar classical themes to the post-Disco/pre-Aerobics crowd:

Ummmm......

Speak for yourSELF boy.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, EricJ said:

And, as "Xanadu" and "Electric Dreams" proved in the 80's, there are no bad movies with ELO music on the soundtrack.  B)

As per description in Youtube video:  "Louis Clark conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (1982)with arranged classical medleys."

Wow, that's really terrible.  The same exact drum sound and beat for an entire album.  I don't know whether it's some kind of badge of honor to remember or not remember that.  :D

That was right around the time the LinnDrum was coming out, either too soon or they couldn't afford one.  :P   That was really the first drum machine to digitally store and play back actual drum sounds (though at a very low resolution by today's standards - so it still has its own sound).  Used on a variety of different recording projects in the 1980s.

When I think of “classic” music it’s a non-greatest hits album where every song is great, such as…

Led Zeppelin IV (1971)

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon (1973)

Boston Boston (1976)

Fleetwood Mac Rumours (1977)

However, if you’re seeking a pretty darn good movie filled with Beethoven tunes….

Immortal Beloved (1994)

Comes to mind. 💋

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Wow, that's really terrible.  The same exact drum sound and beat for an entire album.  I don't know whether it's some kind of badge of honor to remember or not remember that.  :D

That was right around the time the LinnDrum was coming out, either too soon or they couldn't afford one.  :P   That was really the first drum machine to digitally store and play back actual drum sounds (though at a very low resolution by today's standards - so it still has its own sound).  Used on a variety of different recording projects in the 1980s.

Well, see, that's why it became one of the Aerobics National Anthems, when the disco 70's turned into the Jane Fonda 80's--If you're doing a half-hour set of touch-toes and sit-ups, you don't want to be thrown off by different tempos.

(Btw, wasn't there a "Hooked On" arrangement of world national anthems, or am I just remembering a Benetton ad?  The Italian anthem worked pretty well to that one beat.)

Gotta love all the stock footage:

Another hit that had a whole bunch of stock footage in the music video was MARRS' "Pump Up the Volume" (nothing to do with the Christian Slater movie):

5 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

That was right around the time the LinnDrum was coming out, either too soon or they couldn't afford one.  :P   That was really the first drum machine to digitally store and play back actual drum sounds (though at a very low resolution by today's standards - so it still has its own sound). 

Better than the Casiotone:

casvltone01.jpg

22 minutes ago, Fedya said:

casvltone01.jpg

LOL  Cheap stuff K-Mart used to sell versus the actual piece of gear used in the recording.  (Many 1980s hits, not the Jazzercise record above)

We actually had one of those.

5 hours ago, EricJ said:

Well, see, that's why it became one of the Aerobics National Anthems, when the disco 70's turned into the Jane Fonda 80's--If you're doing a half-hour set of touch-toes and sit-ups, you don't want to be thrown off by different tempos.

(Btw, wasn't there a "Hooked On" arrangement of world national anthems, or am I just remembering a Benetton ad?  The Italian anthem worked pretty well to that one beat.)

Might be something to look into for the insomniac.  :P:D

P.S. Jeez...they could at least throw in a triplet or other technique at the same beat.

Yes, the Casiotone.  Which is why I remember it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

When I think of “classic” music it’s a non-greatest hits album where every song is great, such as…

Led Zeppelin IV (1971)

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon (1973)

Boston Boston (1976)

Fleetwood Mac Rumours (1977)

However, if you’re seeking a pretty darn good movie filled with Beethoven tunes….

Immortal Beloved (1994)

Comes to mind. 💋

OK....first part of your post leaves out such "greats" as ... BEATLES/ (aw...just NAME one!);

JIMI HENDRIX/ELECTRIC LADYLAND('68)

AEROSMITH/TOYS IN THE ATTIC('75)

+1 on IMMORTAL BELOVED, but I think the idea is movies that AREN'T "biopics" that have classical music in the soundtrack.  ;)

Sepiatone

Here's an early Vangelis clip I hadn't seen yet.  This is before his movie scores.  He's essentially doing the same thing he has always done, except with a couple broken old organs and some percussion toys, all of which look and sound like they were pulled out of the bottom of a river.  Painter and dancer included, Daddio.

On 1/6/2019 at 7:17 PM, Fedya said:

casvltone01.jpg

Is that the one that plays the Swiss National Anthem???? My kids used to drive me CRAZY with it!!

• Haha 1

What that Vangelis clip has to do with classical music in movies beggars clarity.  In fact(and IMHO) what it has to do with MUSIC IN GENERAL isn't clear either!  ;)  (can tell no Vangelis fan here, eh?)

Sepiatone

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

What that Vangelis clip has to do with classical music in movies beggars clarity.  In fact(and IMHO) what it has to do with MUSIC IN GENERAL isn't clear either!  ;)  (can tell no Vangelis fan here, eh?)

Sepiatone

Absolutely nothing...  I just got a chuckle out of it and thought one or two people here might too.  :D

BTW, that clip "is" part of a movie, an obscure documentary on the painter featured in that clip. :P

Classic Tunes?

Dazed and Confused (1993) happens to be loaded with classic tunes...

Soundtrack Credits 

Sweet Emotion
Written by Steven Tyler and Tom Hamilton
Performed by Aerosmith
Courtesy of Columbia Records
By Arrangement with Sony Music Licensing

Highway Star
Written by Ritchie Blackmore, Ian Paice, Jon Lord, Ian Gillan, and Roger Glover
Performed by Deep Purple
Courtesy of Warner Bros. Records Inc.
By Arrangement with Warner Special Products

School's Out
Written by Alice Cooper, Glen Buxton, Michael Bruce, Dennis Dunaway and Neal Smith
Performed by Alice Cooper
Courtesy of Warner Bros. Records

Jim Dandy
Written by Lincoln Chase
Performed by Black Oak Arkansas
Courtesy of Atlantic Recording Corp.

Why Can't We Be Friends
Written by Jerry Goldstein, Harold R. Brown, Thomas Allen, Morris D. Dickerson (as B.B. Dickerson), Howard E. Scott (as Howard Scott), Lonnie Jordan, Lee Oskar, and Charles Miller
Performed by War
Courtesy of Rhino Records/Avenue Records

Stranglehold
Written and Performed by Ted Nugent
Courtesy of Epic Records

No More Mr Nice Guy
Written by Alice Cooper and Michael Bruce
Performed by Alice Cooper

Do You Feel Like We Do
Written by John Siomos, Peter Frampton, Rick Wills, and Mickey Gallagher (as Mick Gallagher)
Performed by Peter Frampton
Courtesy of A&M Records, Inc.

Low Rider
Written by Jerry Goldstein, Harold R. Brown, Thomas Allen, Morris D. Dickerson (as B.B. Dickerson), Howard E. Scott (as Howard Scott), Lonnie Jordan, Lee Oskar, and Charles Miller
Performed by War
Courtesy of Rhino Records/Avenue Records

Hurricane
Music by Bob Dylan
Lyrics by Bob Dylan and Jacques Levy
Performed by Bob Dylan
Courtesy of Columbia Records

I Just Want To Make Love To You
Written by Willie Dixon
Performed by Foghat
Courtesy of Rhino Records, Bearsville Records

Love Hurts
Written by Felice Bryant and Boudleaux Bryant
Performed by Nazareth

Paranoid
Written by Tony Iommi (as Anthony Iommi), Bill Ward (as William Ward), Geezer Butler (as Terrance Butler), and Ozzy Osbourne (as John Osbourne)
Performed by Black Sabbath

There's Never Been Any Reason
Written by Mike Somerville
Performed by Head East

Tush
Written by Billy Gibbons, Frank Beard, and Dusty Hill
Performed by ZZ Top

Fox On The Run
Written by Brian Connolly, Steve Priest, Andy Scott and Mick Tucker
Performed by Sweet
Courtesy of Capitol Records
By Arrangement with CEMA Special Markets

Slow Ride
Written by 'Lonesome' Dave Peverett (as Dave Peverett)
Performed by Foghat
Courtesy of Rhino Records/Bearsville Records

Rock & Roll **** Koo
Written and Performed by Rick Derringer
Courtesy of Blue Sky/Epic Records

Show Me The Way
Written and Performed by Peter Frampton

Lord Have Mercy On My Soul
Written by Jim Dandy (as Jim Mangrum) and Harvey Jett
Performed by Black Oak Arkansas
Courtesy of Atlantic Recording Corp.

Balinese
Written by Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill, and Frank Beard
Performed by ZZ Top

Rock & Roll All Nite
Written by Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley
Performed by KISS
Courtesy of PolyGram Special Markets
A division of PolyGram Group Distribution

Right Place, Wrong Time
Written by Dr. John (as Malcolm J. Rebennack)
Performed by Dr. John

Living In The USA
Written and Performed by Steve Miller
Courtesy of Capitol Records
By Arrangement with CEMA Special Markets

Hey Baby
Written by Derek St. Holmes
Performed by Ted Nugent
Courtesy of Epic Records

Cherry Bomb
Written by Joan Jett and Kim Fowley
Performed by The Runaways
Courtesy of PolyGram Special Markets
A division of PolyGram Group Distribution

Summer Breeze
Written and Performed by Seals & Crofts

Tuesday's Gone
Written by Allen Collins and Ronnie Van Zant
Performed by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Courtesy of MCA Records

Free Ride
Written by Dan Hartman
Performed by The Edgar Winter Group
Courtesy of Sony Music Entertainment Inc.

Rock-n-Roll Sweeties 💋

• Sad 1

Why I hit that "sad" emoticon for my reaction is this....

The thread is about "Classical" music, NOT "Classic".  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone   (PS:  Never saw that film you mention straight off.  Did it too have the ZEPPELIN "cover" of the tune?  Or the JAKE HOLMES '67 original?)

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Why I hit that "sad" emoticon for my reaction is this....

The thread is about "Classical" music, NOT "Classic".  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone   (PS:  Never saw that film you mention straight off.  Did it too have the ZEPPELIN "cover" of the tune?  Or the JAKE HOLMES '67 original?)

Was this a case of the wrong thing in the wrong place?

A couple of selections were real groovy. But I wouldn't take most of them for rock Classics for the most part.

How's about " Roll Over Beethoven and tell Tchaikovsky the news".LOL

Seriously--"Ferris Bueller's Day Off"--"Twist and Shout" could be better than anything that I saw listed as a true classic. And this could be another thread.

22 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Was this a case of the wrong thing in the wrong place?

Yyyyyepppers.  :(

This thread has been drifting like an icy highway, but it's about CLASSICAL MUSIC in movies, like it say in the header.

Y'know, the way you can't hear the Blue Danube without seeing spaceships, or wonder why helicopters in Vietnam were playing "Kill the Wabbit" over their loudspeakers:

On 12/30/2018 at 1:05 AM, Gershwin fan said:

:lol: 

Das Klinget so schone.....

Just a heads up that Criterion, ahem, FINALLY has the Bergman "The Magic Flute" (1975) scheduled for Blu-ray on 3/12, for those who didn't buy the whole depressing boxset:  https://www.criterion.com/films/613-the-magic-flute

Another DVD I can finally get off my dustier shelves.

• Thanks 1