AudreyG

Unable to get on-demand movies using Sling TV

22 posts in this topic

Previously using Sling TV we could get the full range of movies that were available on-demand and they were updated at the same time as the TCM schedule.  Recently none of the movies that have aired have been put on the TCM on-demand using Sling TV and today only five movies remain and I think that they will soon be gone.  We no longer have cable TV at this location.  Sling TV said that they can only produce what is being offered by the channel.  I contacted TCM and never received a response.

Same here. We don’t have cable and we subscribe to TCM through Sling TV. TCM is my favorite station and my only movie channel. I hope they are just going through a temporary adjustment and the movies will be brought back. Very disappointed. 

Joining the "me too" chorus on this sudden development.  I contacted Sling customer chat last night and the rep claimed this is TCM's decision to pull off virtually all the on demand content.   I pay for that extra Sling package solely for TCM :( and my schedule causes me to miss live programming a lot so this is really crushing.   

I will try emailing TCM for the reasoning behind this.  I"m wondering if TCM is trying to drive us to another provider where they make more money ?  Or - wild guess here - is TCM gearing up an app/channel of their own that they will ask us to subscribe to, like Starz does for example.  

I also wonder if it has something to do with the recent reversal of the net neutrality law which allowed AT&T to merge with Time Warner.  AT&T is an internet provider and Time Warner is a channel.  AT&T can now control who gets the content and how much is paid for it and can "encourage" viewers to go back to paid cable tv.

TCM's practice of eliminating on-demand for Sling TV runs counter to the industry trend that is being led by other channels such as CBS and Showtime which shed the necessity of being a cable subscriber in order to access on-demand.

A few years ago the VOD disappeared three or four different times over several months but was resolved. I wonder how reliable the rep from Sling is. It's hard to believe that TCM would choose Xmas week to do this. If the rep was right, though, does Sling's dvr service work with TCM?

As of now, on my Roku, the Sling on-demand section is down to three movies.  Nothing has dropped down for days.  I also chatted with Sling, and they say that no content new has been made available for streaming.  I hate to think that I'm going to have to start paying for Sling DVR...

Just had on online chat with Sling’s help center about the significant decrease in TCM’s on demand movies, basically said that they have no control over TCM’s content.  I asked if there was a change in Sling’s agreement with TCM, again had no information. Said to contact feedback@sling.com to submit concerns, which I did, haven’t heard back yet.

I also posted the question to Sling’s twitter acctount, this is the answer I got:

Hi! Currently, Sling TV does not have control on what the channel networks decides to air. The On Demand content selection changes often. Keep watching for updates as you may find what you are looking for. You can also submit request or report issues here spr.ly/6017EKhjS . ~MV.

Same issue. Only three movies available and I don't want to watch them again right now. Chiming in so I can keep track of updates. My DVR is basically full right now of stuff I want to keep indefinitely, so I rely on On Demand a great deal, particularly since I'm rarely home when the things I want to see are actually being aired. Not happy about this turn of events and I hope someone from TCM responds to explain.

Update on my post. The email address I was given doesn’t exist... it bounced. Chatted with another person in their help center, she said that there is NO email assistance address and didn’t know why I was given that email address. Great! :-(

She said she would forward my concern about TCM to the back office. 

Roks, the online Sling chat also gave me that sling.com address and it bounced back to me too.  I tried slingtv.com and I haven't seen it come back yet but I intend to find some place to give Sling feedback.  As for TCM I found a comment option on their help page and used it.   But I saw some place that TCM does not always - maybe rarely - responds to that feedback/comment interface.   These companies make it so hard to give feedback you'd almost think they didn't want to hear it .... ;) 

Lynnatmovies, isn’t that ‘interesting’ about the fake email... what a scam.  Thanks for the info on the other email, I’ll try that. I tried sending a comment to TCM’s facebook page, as soon as hit send the message just disappeared. They do make it incredibly hard to give feedback or talk to a human being. Our primary reason for having Sling was for TCM and it’s on demand, this development is very disappointing.

Please TCM respond to the questions here -- I only shifted over to Sling from cable because I was able to get TCM in the package. It has made me infinitely more happy to have such a plethora of 'on demand' options to come home to each day after work and on weekends. Having the last week off and without the movies has been a holiday disappointment to say the least. 

I would like to know if this is permanent.

Good news! Looks like quite a few movies have been added to Sling’s TCM on demand lineup.  

• Like 1

Yay, mine too.  Having a Cary Grant festival now to catch up :)   One thing I learned is how hard it is to contact anyone at TCM or Sling though - thats not fixed.