Sign in to follow this  
Det Jim McLeod

I Have Seen The New Stan And Ollie

14 posts in this topic

I am happy to report it is very good.

As with many "bio-pics" today, it does not cover their entire lives but just a small event (such as "My Week With Marilyn" about Monroe and "Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool" about Gloria Grahame.) This one is about their final tour in the UK when they were much older and not in demand for movies anymore.  The casting could not be better. Steve Coogan is amazing as Stan Laurel, he looks and sounds exactly like him, he is portrayed as the brains of the team, often doing most of the writing and arranging the business end, so different from his simpleton character on screen. Even more surprising is how well John C. Reilly brings Oliver Hardy to life. The prosthetics do help, but he has the voice and mannerisms down perfectly. An added bonus is the actresses playing their wives who accompany them on the tour, they have some funny and catty banter between them.

Though I must add this film will appeal mostly to L&H fans and film buffs, because if anyone goes in cold not knowing anything they might be bewildered. The boys have an argument about Hardy's "elephant film" which we film buffs will immediately know is the the solo Hardy film from 1939 called "Zenobia"

Did anyone else see it? If not I hope this will encourage you to do so. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

This one is about their final tour in the UK when they were much older and not in demand for movies anymore.  

There was a similar BBC drama on Amazon Prime, with the framing device of Laurel reminiscing Hardy through his recovery after Hardy's stroke that ended their film career--From the description, sounded like it was going to be the theatrical remake, but most theatrical stories have to end with a big comeback scene in front of an audience.

An added bonus is the actresses playing their wives who accompany them on the tour, they have some funny and catty banter between them.

Abbott & Costello once reportedly had a famous backstage quote that a comedy team should "Never let their wives meet."  It's usually how the billing-arguments and the breakups start.

The film was on the shortlist for an Academy Award nomination in the Makeup and Hairstyling category. It's probably a strong contender to make the final three when the Oscar nominations are announced next month.

Makeup and Hairstyling 2018 (7)

• "Black Panther"
  • "Bohemian Rhapsody"
  • "Border" 
  • "Mary Queen of Scots" 
  • "Stan & Ollie" 
  • "Suspiria" 
  • "Vice" 

Haven't seen the film, but CBS Sunday Morning did a story about it, which was pretty interesting.  There was an interview with Stan Laurel's great-granddaughter too.  Apparently, John C. Reilly is up for a best actor award in a Golden Globes category for his portrayal as Oliver Hardy.  The piece said Reilly was in the makeup chair for up to 4 hours each day to be made into Ollie.

2 hours ago, midwestan said:

Haven't seen the film, but CBS Sunday Morning did a story about it, which was pretty interesting.  There was an interview with Stan Laurel's great-granddaughter too.  Apparently, John C. Reilly is up for a best actor award in a Golden Globes category for his portrayal as Oliver Hardy.  The piece said Reilly was in the makeup chair for up to 4 hours each day to be made into Ollie.

Here's the CBS Sunday Morning segment, as reported by Lee Cowan:

• Thanks 1

Wow just looking at that still picture is impressive. How I love John C Reilly's performances-he's just not in enough good movies. I'll be sure to see this when it gets to my library. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Wow just looking at that still picture is impressive. How I love John C Reilly's performances-he's just not in enough good movies. I'll be sure to see this when it gets to my library. Thanks!

I agree.  Reilly is often underused and underrated. My interest in this movie is piqued now due to that CBS clip, which too, had me misty-eyed.

I've been such a L&H freak for so many years, It's a wonder I haven't taken greater strides in joining The Sons Of The Desert.  And, as Stan would say....

"I'll be sure to see this when it gets to ME library!"  :)

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

How I love John C Reilly's performances-he's just not in enough good movies.

Very true. And another thing about his performance, he also perfectly captured Oliver Hardy's rich, beautiful singing voice. Hardy is was not given much credit for that but he does wonderful performances of songs like "Lazy Moon" in the movie "Pardon Us" and "Shine On Harvest Moon" in "The Flying Deuces".

Reilly is a fine singer as well, he also showed that in "Chicago" and in the very funny mock bio-pic "Walk Hard".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I agree.  Reilly is often underused and underrated. My interest in this movie is piqued now due to that CBS clip, which too, had me misty-eyed.

Underrated maybe. But not so underused this year. He's in two movies currently playing in theaters ("Holmes & Watson" with Will Ferrell is the other one). He also starred with Joaquin Phoenix in the 2018 Western tale "The Sisters Brothers."

And he again served as the voice of the title character in "Ralph Breaks the Internet," one of the year's biggest animated hits and the sequel to "Wreck-It Ralph" (2012).

Image result for ralph breaks the internet gif

The funny thing is, I don't care for Laurel & Hardy. I absolutely understand their importance in film, and why people like them. But I tire easily of adults acting like children.

I did find their cameo appearance with Lupe Velez in HOLLYWOOD PARTY (1934) hilarious-making me think they deserve another try. The new movie may be just the kind of insightful peek into their lives that will enhance my opinion.

If not, who cares? There's something for everyone, especially comedy.

Oddly TIKI, I feel the same towards THE THREE STOOGES, whom tired of by the time I was 12.  But L&H has endured in my mind and heart all these years.  And it does THIS L&H fan's heart good to have learned some time ago that many of the physical sight "gags" that made CHARLIE CHAPLIN famous were actually taken from ideas formed by STAN LAUREL when the two of them worked together in that travelling music hall troupe 'bout the turn of the 20th century.  ;)  And it holds up, due to (and I found this interesting) many in the "newer" and younger generations that I know seem to prefer THEM to the Stooges when any of them see either (on odd broadcasts or mine and their parent's old tapes and discs).

@JAKEEM---

When I stated Reilly was "underused" it wasn't meaning not working much, but rather offered and given roles that mostly wasted his obvious talent.

Sepiatone

My wife, myself and a film buff friend saw STAN & OLLIE a couple of days ago and we all loved.  Sure, some people are going to pick it apart because it's not 100% accurate, but it's not a documentary. It's a dramatic interpretation based on actual events. The performances where great and the production values really nailed the feel of 1950's Britain.

The sad thing is that it seems to be dying at the box office. In this area it's only showing on one screen and reports said it that the Saturday night show only had 8 people and counting the 3 of us the one we went to had 10. That's really a shame.