Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

New Year's Eve movie suggestions

29 posts in this topic

Or has this already been done?

Anyway, my suggestion for TCM's annual New Year's Eve moviethon is to show Hayao Miyazaki movies.  As many as possible.  All of 'em.

The Divorcee has a New Year's scene.  Doesn't Cavalcade start with one?

The Gold Rush and Splendor in the Grass also feature New Years Eve scenes.

53 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Not New Year's Evil.

New-Years-Evil-mask.png

bloody-new-year-poster.jpg

Need to be careful with fireworks when celebrating.

:P

MV5BN2E1NjY2NGUtM2Q4OC00NjFkLTk3MGYtOWU1

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fedya said:

I believe that "Made For Each Other" with James Stewart and Carole Lombard has a memorable New Year's Eve party scene.  

It has to be "The Poseidon Adventure" (1972), it all takes place on New Year's Eve and all goes topsy-turvy after a rousing version of "Auld Lange Syne"

Related image

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Fedya said:

The much maligned CALVACADE starts and ends with scenes set at New Years Eve.

Every Day's a Holiday (1937), my favorite Mae West film, opens on New Year's Eve, 1899/1900.

Every-Days-a-Holiday-1937-film-images-91

And of course, there's Radio Days, with a great New Year's Eve 1943/1944 ending:

4233ba9d54d3ff76b26655458f9403a3.jpg

• Like 1

I like "Repeat Performance" (1947), in which an actress (Joan Leslie) fatally shoots her husband (Louis Hayward) on New Year's Eve. And then she magically gets a chance to relive the previous 365 days! Richard Basehart plays a key role as her friend, a poet.

Image result for richard basehart joan leslie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, jakeem said:

I like "Repeat Performance" (1947), in which an actress (Joan Leslie) fatally shoots her husband (Louis Hayward) on New Year's Eve. And then she magically gets a chance to relive the previous 365 days! Richard Basehart plays a key role as her friend, a poet.

Image result for richard basehart joan leslie

Wow! THAT'S the usual "girl-next-door" Joan Leslie there?

(...lookin' mighty sultry there Joan, you pistol-packin' mama, you!...who would'a thought?!)

29 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Wow! THAT'S the usual "girl-next-door" Joan Leslie there?

(...lookin' mighty sultry there Joan, you pistol-packin' mama, you!...who would'a thought?!)

Yeah, but I believe that "girl-next-door" image prompted the filmmakers to change the character from the pistol-packin' mama type in the novel that inspired the picture.

Of course, Leslie was barely 21 at the time the film was shot. She was the Jennifer Lawrence/Saorise Ronan of her era.

Well, The Apartment ends with the New Year's Eve card game Image result for the apartment 1960

Bridget Jone's Diary starts and ends with New Year's  Related image

In Bachelor Mother, Ginger Rogers and David Niven step out to celebrate Related image

and Peter's Friends (92) is all about old friends spending a New Year's weekend together  Image result for peter's friends movie

20 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Yeah, but I believe that "girl-next-door" image prompted the filmmakers to change the character from the pistol-packin' mama type in the novel that inspired the picture.

Of course, Leslie was barely 21 at the time the film was shot. She was the Jennifer Lawrence/Saorise Ronan of her era.

I just now went to Joan Leslie's Wiki page, and in it it says she'd soon grow tired of playing the ingenue type while under contract with W-B, and...well, I'll let you read it for yourself here, jakeem...

By 1946, Leslie was growing increasingly dissatisfied with the roles offered to her by the studio. She sought more serious and mature roles and wanted to break out of her ingenue image which was partly due to her young age. Her decision was also based on moral and religious grounds.[36] With the help of her lawyer Oscar Cummings, she took Warner Brothers to court in order to get released from her contract.[37]

In 1947, the Catholic Theatre Guild gave Leslie an award because of her "consistent refusal to use her talents and art in film productions of objectionable character."[38]

As a result of this, Jack Warner used his influence to blacklist her from other major Hollywood studios.[39] In 1947, she signed a two-picture contract with the poverty row studio Eagle-Lion Films. The first one was Repeat Performance (1947), a film noir in which she played a Broadway actress.[40] The other was Northwest Stampede (1948) in which she performed with James Craig.

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I just now went to Joan Leslie's Wiki page, and in it it says she'd soon grow tired of playing the ingenue type while under contract with W-B, and...well, I'll you read it for yourself here, jakeem...

Thanks for that, Dargo. I wonder what Leslie might have thought about the film roles Uma Thurman did before she turned 21.

Related image

Thurman in "Henry and June" (1990)

6 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Thanks for that, Dargo. I wonder what Leslie might have thought about the film roles Uma Thurman did before she turned 21.

Thurman in "Henry and June" (1990)

Yeah, or the advantages that post-studio era actors and actresses have in regard to their own career paths.

(...and after people like Jack Warner would be the decider of such things)

Strange Days (1995) - A mystery set during the then-future New Year's Eve of 1999/2000 celebrations, which is now nearly 20 years in the past. 

fiennes-bassett-strange-days-640x326.jpg