Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Screen Legends, according to Starz

45 posts in this topic

Amy Irving? Pleasant enough actress yeah. But I thought she stopped making pics long ago when she married Steven Stealberg? She still around?

Almost the same deal as the inexplicable retreat of Debra Winger.

Without "cheating" and looking at imdb, I must say that, while I've always been struck by her beauty, I'm really hard-pressed to think of many films Amy Irving has been in. CarrieHoneysuckle RoseThe CompetitionYentl, and ... I'm stuck after that.

17 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Without "cheating" and looking at imdb, I must say that, while I've always been struck by her beauty, I'm really hard-pressed to think of many films Amy Irving has been in. CarrieHoneysuckle RoseThe CompetitionYentl, and ... I'm stuck after that.

I've also seen her in The FuryMicki & MaudeA Show of ForceCarried AwayThe ConfessionTrafficThirteen Conversations About One ThingHide and Seek, and 2018's Unsane.

That being said, while she's a pleasant enough actress, I don't think I'd ever refer to her as "legendary".

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I've also seen her in The FuryMicki & MaudeA Show of ForceCarried AwayThe ConfessionTrafficThirteen Conversations About One ThingHide and Seek, and 2018's Unsane

I have seen Micki & Maude. I'm unfamiliar with most of those others. Is Traffic the Steven Soderbergh movie? I've seen that, but I guess I forgot she was in it.

I was watching a new game show America Says,  that ask questions to a group that is suppose to reflect the overall view of Americans.   This question was asked;   who are the best American actresses:

The answers were: 

Bette Davis,  Audrey Hepburn, Meryl Streep,  Julie Roberts,  Natalie Portman,  Angelina Jolie,  and Kate Winslet.

As one can see only Davis and Audrey Hepburn are 'classic' film stars.      Frankly I was surprised Davis was on the list instead of,  say,  Monroe. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I was watching a new game show America Says,  that ask questions to a group that is suppose to reflect the overall view of Americans.   This question was asked;   who are the best American actresses:

The answers were: 

Bette Davis,  Audrey Hepburn, Meryl Streep,  Julie Roberts,  Natalie Portman,  Angelina Jolie,  and Kate Winslet.

As one can see only Davis and Audrey Hepburn are 'classic' film stars.      Frankly I was surprised Davis was on the list instead of,  say,  Monroe. 

And Hepburn was probably included not for her acting but because of her being a fashion icon with a memorable image (when she was younger). Personally I would have picked the other Hepburn (Kate) whom I consider much better.

15 hours ago, TopBilled said:

And Hepburn was probably included not for her acting but because of her being a fashion icon with a memorable image (when she was younger). Personally I would have picked the other Hepburn (Kate) whom I consider much better.

What I like about the game is that one has to try to guess how the general American public would answer such questions.    The first letter of each word is listed as a 'clue'.    Only the top 7 answers are provided,  with only the rank of #1 shown (which was Streep,  which is no surprise).

Of course it is natural to answer questions based on one's perspective.   My wife does this and I have to remind her that the game isn't about what 'she says' but what 'America says'.    

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What I like about the game is that one has to try to guess how the general American public would answer such questions.    The first letter of each word is listed as a 'clue'.    Only the top 7 answers are provided,  with only the rank of #1 shown (which was Streep,  which is no surprise).

Of course it is natural to answer questions based on one's perspective.   My wife does this and I have to remind her that the game isn't about what 'she says' but what 'America says'.    

Interesting. Yes, so it's about correlating one's perspective with the vast perspective of American moviegoers.

On 1/3/2019 at 2:02 PM, TopBilled said:

But I think these marketing tools tell us a lot about modern audiences. Especially regarding what they deem to be classics.

I wonder if people are starting to think that TCM is now a place for old films of the early and mid-20th century and that classics are cool films from the late 20th century. 

TCM needs to show, as they are slowly doing, more films from the 1960s up to at least the 1990s to stay relevant as audiences tastes are going to automatically update every generation.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting. Yes, so it's about correlating one's perspective with the vast perspective of American moviegoers.

I find the show an informal way of staying in touch of what the general public thinks, especially since I'm not very 'mainstream' when it comes to many things (e.g.  listen to mostly jazz music, watch mostly pre-1980 films, eat super healthy etc..). 

Yesterday one of the questions was 'when people hear  'black and white' they think of 'blank':

One of the words was O__  M____.     Yea, 'old movies'!     I.e. in most people minds old-movies = black and white.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

TCM needs to show, as they are slowly doing, more films from the 1960s up to at least the 1990s to stay relevant as audiences tastes are going to automatically update every generation.  

I think they've been showing less films from those decades, particularly during Oscar month. And anything from the 80s they air tends to be low-budget fare they dump into the Underground hours.

11 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think they've been showing less films from those decades, particularly during Oscar month. And anything from the 80s they air tends to be low-budget fare they dump into the Underground hours.

A big mistake they are complicit in their own obsolescence then.

3 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

A big mistake they are complicit in their own obsolescence then.

I think it's budget related. They are relying more on the MGM/UA package from 1925 to 1986 that Turner acquired (which costs them peanuts to use). So there are no longer very many films from the 90s and 2000s on the schedule.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

I think it's budget related. They are relying more on the MGM/UA package from 1925 to 1986 that Turner acquired (which costs them peanuts to use). So there are no longer very many films from the 90s and 2000s on the schedule.

too bad then, for us.

I still don't think that TCM will be going away any time soon, there is still a relatively large number of young classic fans (myself included). If people don't want to watch them, its their own loss.

• Like 1

Just now, BillyBobJoeJim said:

If TCM does go away, I suspect it will be just like with FilmStruck. Someone will decide it is no longer valuable enough.

Fortunately, with TCM though, because it has always had a higher visibility factor than FilmStruck ever did, the outcry would be much louder.

Just now, BillyBobJoeJim said:

If TCM does go away, I suspect it will be just like with FilmStruck. Someone will decide it is no longer valuable enough.

It will change drastically (like becoming more of a streaming service and adding commercials) instead of going away.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:35 AM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Great. Now I just to contact Acme Equipment Supply and make my plans accordingly.

Do your plans involve an anvil being dropped from a cliff?

All of the cable channels from time to time make these sorts of lists. As one wrote earlier it is all about marketing, much like the original 100 lists were from AFI. All one has to do is go to the imdb website and click on their top 250 movie list as asked by their readers, only 67 films were from before 1970. Obviuosly the films being voted on clearly shows a bias toward newer films. When I speak to friends of mine or other folks I run into and the topic "Classic Films" comes up, they almost certainly speak of newer films. When I ask if they have seen Casablanca or other well known (to classic film fans that is) films, they look bewildered and can't think of the film or any films that were made so long ago.

This is why I believe TCM is so important. Eventually young people will get older and eventually they will find cable channels like TCM and they will start watching. So who cares IF TCM repeats many of the same movies now? I know this past sentence will irk some folks, but really as long as they keep showing the classics, and garnering newer subscribers who at one time were oblivious to classic film, then I say all the better.

• Like 2

I kinda agree. The mission statement of TCM should be more than just pleasing already-embedded fans of classics. We have a world of media at our fingertips via many other resources. They're not always convenient, admittedly. But as historical-awareness dwindles in this benighted landscape of the new USSA, TCM should be the first line of defense towards which new adherents may find shelter. It should stand firm and tall, visible over the horizon, prominent and proud, in all types of weather, like a...like a....well, I'll just stop here and not get carried away...

• Haha 1