Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Criterion New Year's Cartoon

9 posts in this topic

Those familiar with the Criterion films website know that there's been an annual tradition of posting a cartoon on New Year's Day that contains visual clues to their upcoming slate of releases. It's up to the fans to guess what they are. With that said, here's the 2019 cartoon:

ZZhaAEFtm1xq4WviRtHB2frQqHK3kp.png

• Thanks 2

Diamonds of the Night (1964) seems to be an obvious one.

The lute with a "K" on it could be Klute (1971).

The clock in the swing could be Swing Time (1936).

An Angel at My Table (1990) could be the angel at the table.

Elsewhere, there have been guesses that the owl in the tree eyeing the worm could refer to Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001). There's also a guess that the three Coke bottles on the table may refer to Abbas Kiarostami's Koker Trilogy: Where Is the Friend's Home? (1987), And Life Goes On (1992), and Through the Olive Trees (1994). Another guess is that the bamboo sled may refer to Bamboozled (2000).

Didn't they already release "Angel at My Table"? Klute is a good guess for the K on the lute as is "Swing Time" is for the clock in the swing. Maybe the sled against the tree could be Citizen Kane?

Guesses from elsewhere on the web:

image.thumb.png.d39ca47f682af9a3cde24e6832c1cb00.png

A. Diamonds and stars = Diamonds of the Night

B. and C. Owl and Worm = Hedwig and the Angry Inch

D. S Balloon / Air S = The Heiress

E. Angel = An Angel at My Table

F. 3 Cokes = Koker Trilogy

F. Part 2. The table with the game =

G. and H. V in the Hand of Jesus = La Vie de Jesus

I. Rabbit/Warren peas = War and Peace

J. Dads = Children of Men / Europa Europa / One Sings the Other Doesn’t

K. K Lute = Klute

L. Tree =

M. Bamboo Sled = Bamboozled

N. Clock in the swing = Swing Time

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Didn't they already release "Angel at My Table"? 

Yeah, but sometimes the clues allude to a Blu-ray edition, which they haven't released yet for this film.

I heard a rumor somewhere that Criterion was releasing A Face in the Crowd, but I don't see that represented anywhere in the cartoon.  

It seems that every year Criterion releases more films than are depicted in the annual cartoon, so I guess we'll see what they end up doing.  Based on the current guesses, I am excited about Swing Time if that turns out to be true.  That is my favorite of the Astaire & Rogers films. 

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I heard a rumor somewhere that Criterion was releasing A Face in the Crowd, but I don't see that represented anywhere in the cartoon.  

It seems that every year Criterion releases more films than are depicted in the annual cartoon, so I guess we'll see what they end up doing.  Based on the current guesses, I am excited about Swing Time if that turns out to be true.  That is my favorite of the Astaire & Rogers films. 

Yes, I have to say, based on what's been guessed so far, I won't be buying as many Criterion discs this year. Hopefully there will be more interesting stuff revealed later throughout the year.

I already have copies of KluteSwing Time and Bamboozled, and I don't know that I need them in "deluxe" Criterion versions. I may pick up Hedwig and the Angry Inch, as I don't have that yet, but that's only a maybe. 

If Children of Men ends up being one, I would definitely get that. Same with The Heiress.

Could the board game be the Game of Life - a 2007 film starring Tom Arnold? Doesn't look like the kind of thing I would pick for Criterion but it does fit.

MV5BMjIzNTcwNzA1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzc4

There are also several films called Monopoly but none of them seem particularly important enough that Criterion would release them.

I'm reading speculation that the sled might be Citizen Kane. Some are also thinking that the dark haired singer with the glasses and baby could be an illusion to Bringing Up Baby