Ida

The Thin Man movies

37 posts in this topic

I got my copy of The Thin Man at Powell's Books in Portland.  Mine has this cover:

Thin Man

I also procured a copy of Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca.  I think it may have been a recent release because it was on sale as a remainder.  It had this gorgeous cover:

Rebecca

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 2:38 PM, Ida said:

I absolutely hate those movies --the plots are lame!  They are not funny and so predictable.  Plots are always about a husband who starts his day with a drink in his hand or already drunk, his wife is always richly dressed and her face is already made up and continuously befuddled and doesn't know what to do with her hands on camera and she doesn't know what to do with her movie husband either. They spend all their days drinking, smoking, visiting other rich people who are drinking.  You know who was funny?  Cary Grant.  OMG, "Bringing up Baby" is funny physical comedy.  It never gets old. Mr. Grant

moved on to serious  movies with plots of twists and turns.  Please excuse any typos.

Typos are inexcusable, but do invariably point to one of the many reasons why you don't enjoy the Thin Man movies. By the way, don't blame William Powell for starting the day with a drink, because often when I read posts here I have to resort to drink also.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

actually, one of the beauties about the publishing business in the 1990s was that they started making more expensive- but really durable "paperbacks"- where the jacket was thicker and tougher (and maybe not made out of paper?), so I still have almost all of my original copies in the BLACK LIZARD series which have held together quite nicely:

You are right about the improved quality of the covers.  Unfortunately many publishers also took that as an opportunity to significantly raise prices.  Still doing it.

Couldn't find Black Lizard on the Hamilton site, but did fine Otto Pennzler's compilation of stories from Black Mask, apparently a Black Lizard magazine way back when.  Or maybe the title Black Lizard sounds good.

THE BLACK LIZARD BIG BOOK OF BLACK MASK STORIES

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

actually, one of the beauties about the publishing business in the 1990s was that they started making more expensive- but really durable "paperbacks"- where the jacket was thicker and tougher (and maybe not made out of paper?), so I still have almost all of my original copies in the BLACK LIZARD series which have held together quite nicely:

70970.jpg

(this is the copy I have)

Yea but some of the original pulp cover artwork was so much better.....

s-l1600.jpg

Image result for The Maltese Falcon original paperback cover

Image result for The Glass Key Dashiell Hammett original paperback cover

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I absolutely love the first three Thin Man movies...but then again I’m also a fan of “Bringing Up Baby” and “Young Frankenstein” etc...so, yeah, there’s that....these movies still make me laugh every single time I watch them, and I’ve seen each one MANY times. But to each their own! Anyone ever read anything else by Dashiell Hammet?

On 1/3/2019 at 1:59 PM, cigarjoe said:

Yea but some of the original pulp cover artwork was so much better.....

s-l1600.jpg

Image result for The Maltese Falcon original paperback cover

Image result for The Glass Key Dashiell Hammett original paperback cover

Looked over this again and it brought to mind the covers for Hard Case Crime books.  Many (most) of these are reprints of books from the above period and the 40's thru the 60's.  They are publishing more new books though, but still some older ones.  No Dashiell Hammetts that I am aware of.  May have mentioned before, but the Hard Case covers are more enticing than the books sometimes.

Warning:  Hard Case is branching out into the "comic book" realm, so some are not novels in the true sense.  New euphemisim is "graphic novels," but still a comic book to me.

http://hardcasecrime.com/books_bios.cgi

In Manhattan, on a folding card table on the sidewalk outside Lincoln Center, a guy sells rare original hard-boiled pulp detective paperbacks in little plastic slipcovers. Usually $25 starting price but the range probably climbs up to $250

Cary inquired:

Anyone ever read anything else by Dashiell Hammet? 

Certainly. 'Red Harvest' is his masterwork, the best thing he ever did. All action writing we know today, begins there. In cinema alone, that's where Kurosawa got his idea for 'Yojimbo' and from there to Sergio Leone and there to John Sturges. Similar chain of precedents in prose.

Good stuff in his classic story collections too, such as 'The Big Knockover' and 'The Continental Op'. Ripping yarns.

They've discovered previously unknown collections of his in recent yrs; but I find them hit-or-miss.

'The Dain Curse' (the other novel in his big five) is more lurid and only semi-credible as it has a storyline involving Chinese tongs and hypnotism, poppycock like that.

'The Glass Key' sturdy, reliable; but not all that spectacular.

43 minutes ago, 'Lost in Space' ruminated:

After visiting the Noir section, I had to wonder why The Thin Man stuff isn't considered Noir, or is it? I am not a fan of Bringing Up Baby. I am mostly not a fan of Cary Grant. The Thin Man movies are really fun. Dogs always make a movie better. Alcohol is part of the cast in Auntie Mame.

There's nothing wrong with calling any work by Dashiell Hammett exactly what it is: hard-boiled detective fiction. Its perfectly correct, accurate, and appropriate. He's part of a fine tradition.

On 1/6/2019 at 2:44 PM, Lost In Space said:

I have some dyslexia, and frequently make errors. I must proof everything I type. Unintended mistakes occur.

Just joshing ya! If we got rid of all typos on forums, there'd probably be no post at all.

I enjoy your posts so keep them coming.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GordonCole said:

Just joshing ya! If we got rid of all typos on forums, there'd probably be no post at all.

I enjoy your posts so keep them coming.

Don't forget auto-correct, although not sure that is done here.  I hate it when system substitutes a word for one I did not intend.

• Like 1