Freya

If you knew that civilization was collapsing, what movies would you save?

15 posts in this topic

Suppose you knew for certain that our present civilization was doomed. It's not enough to squirrel away survival supplies - you might as well rescue materials from our culture to preserve for future generations. Think of all the past civilizations that have collapsed, and all that we have lost. What movies would you save? You don't have to limit yourself to the all-time classics - some fun movies and even a little schlock are welcome.

What if you could save only 100 movies? Or 144, or 250, or another number? Would you focus on the great classics, or comedies, or science fiction, or drama?

Where's the electricity gonna come from? Anyway no Samsung, Sony, or Panasonic home theater system is ever gonna  last that long. Even DVD discs someday erode.

Anyway for simplicity's sake just grab whatever's in the Library of Congress --toss in the Criterion Collection --and then save your own butt!

It's gruesome, but it could also happen. Tough about the electric grid!

Anyway,

ALL Hitchcock

ALL Kurosawa

and just about anything made before 1955.

Over the last seven years of the Digital Wars--and now with a speculated coming decline of theatrical movies in the '20's--we don't have to imagine, we ARE in a current age of the Collapse of Movies (if not Civilization).

Thankfully, we have disk, and the answer is, save them all.  :)

On 1/2/2019 at 10:32 AM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Where's the electricity gonna come from? Anyway no Samsung, Sony, or Panasonic home theater system is ever gonna  last that long. Even DVD discs someday erode.

Anyway for simplicity's sake just grab whatever's in the Library of Congress --toss in the Criterion Collection --and then save your own butt!

Only those that start with the Janus logo.

Well, if there is to be no electricity to play them, we can always put them in a time capsule.

On 4/20/2019 at 2:44 PM, laffite said:

Well, if there is to be no electricity to play them, we can always put them in a time capsule.

There's always solar. Wind power has been around forever. Just because civilization goes doesn't mean books and manuals go away. Some sort of primitive steam engine could be built relatively soon after a collapse.

Frankly, I would save modern films like Avatar, to remind people of the technical advancement that had been reached before the fall.

19 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Some sort of primitive steam engine could be built relatively soon after a collapse.

That wouldn't help us in our current dilemma. How about a movie projector or a DVD player.

Movie projectors were created in the age of steam. As were diesel engines. It can be done.

On 1/2/2019 at 9:32 AM, Sgt_Markoff said:

I kind of wish you would come back, Markoff. You were humorous. I always read your posts in Sir Alec Guinness' voice.

sir-alec-guinness-as-colonel-nicholson-t

2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I kind of wish you would come back, Markoff.

I credit (blame) Cigar Joe for the departure of the Sarge:😉

• Sad 1

If You Knew That Civilization Was Collapsing, What Movies Would You Save?

Debbie Does Dallas

On 1/2/2019 at 7:32 AM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Very funny. Or very stupid. How about uncooperative. Jesus. It's about personal choice of individual movies. It completely misses the spirit of the question to blithely and expediently cite collections.  It's a hypothetical question anyway, so why get literal. Electricity, what a howl.

A friend of mine and I have an ongoing desert island question and we limit it to 50-100, two lists. If it's too much more than that, then what's the point. Being too inclusive renders the list meaningless or at least much less interesting.

For the level of expertise on this board, however, the number should probably be at least 100 though,

///

I would selfishly focus on saving my own favorite movies with maybe a few important ones that aren't personal favorites like Battleship Potemkin. 

I'm not going to question the ability to have a DVD/Blu Ray player when civilization has collapsed...

Look at the radio from Gilligan's Island. 

If civilization were collapsing, I'd save:

1) The Long, Long Trailer (my #1 favorite movie)

2) Casablanca

3) Gidget 

4) The Adventures of Robin Hood

5) Gilda

6) The More the Merrier

7) The Palm Beach Story

8 ) Rear Window

9) Clue

10) Clueless

If I could save TV Shows as well:

1) I Love Lucy

2) The Mary Tyler Moore Show

3) The Brady Bunch

4) Beverly Hills, 90210

5) Chopped

6) Gidget (w/ Sally Field)

7) Green Acres

8 ) I Dream of Jeannie

9) Forensic Files

10) The Golden Girls

I could go on and on, and would end up listing my entire film collection.

I would have to save all my Errol Flynn and Lucille Ball films, my Criterion Collection, all films that feature great eye candy, my 50s-60s teen beach movies, my teen sex comedy collection, my Gene Kelly musicals...