Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Elizabeth Warren Pres. Candidacy.....

230 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Nippy, what she did was wrong. .

But trump using Pocahontas as the butt of a joke is disrespectful, not just to Native Americans but to all Americans, as this woman was a great heroine of American history.

Very hard to say Trump did something that wasn't disrespectful,  but in this case I don't think he did.

Pocahontas was used as part of the joke but NOT as the butt of the joke.   E.g. what if people started calling Northam Michael Jackson.    That isn't putting down Jackson,  but instead the fool that used blackface to look like Jackson.    

I would have to go back and read what Trump said to see if he ever put down Pocahontas.    She was a great heroine of American history, and Warren is NO Pocahontas.

• Thanks 1

Vaughn HillyardVerified account @VaughnHillyard

This is how Elizabeth Warren opened up her "first full day" of her presidential campaign:

"By the time we get to 2020, Donald Trump may not even be president.

In fact, he may not even be a free person.

But here’s how I see it--Donald Trump is not the only problem we’ve got."

-------------------------------------------------------------

“Because the man in the White House is not the cause of what’s broken, he’s just the latest — and most extreme — symptom of what’s gone wrong in America,” Warren said of President Donald Trump at an outdoor rally on a chilly, but sunny winter day.

"It won’t be enough to just undo the terrible acts of this administration," Warren continued. "We can’t afford to just tinker around the edges — a tax credit here, a regulation there. Our fight is for big, structural change."

“When I talk about this, some rich guys scream ‘class warfare!’” Warren said. “Well, let me tell you something, these same rich guys have been waging class warfare against hard-working people for decades — I say it’s time to fight back!"

With most of the leading 2020 Democrats adopting a similarly progressive policy agenda, the new fault line may be between those willing to accommodate and find compromise with the powers that be, and those who say it is necessary to confront them and tear down what Warren called a “rigged” system.

The first is taking on what Warren called the "corruption" of Washington with her aggressive ethics bill and other reforms.

Next, a sweeping economic platform that includes her wealth tax, Medicare for All, breaking up corporate monopolies, making it easier to join a union. She also added to that the Green New Deal, an extremely ambitious plan to fight climate change rolled out last week by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y.

And third, to “strengthen democracy” by outlawing partisan gerrymandering for both parties, and enacting constitutional amendments to guarantee voting rights and overturn the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision.

She also included in that category taking on “structural racism” and the “broken criminal justice system,” which she has previously called “racist from front to back.".......

Trump's animosity for Warren has been on display for years, and his campaign notably did not put out a statement in response to every other Democrat to enter the 2020 race.

But Warren will attempt to turn it in her favor.

“No one gets under Donald Trump’s skin like Elizabeth Warren,” Sen. Ed Markey, D-Mass.,...."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/elizabeth-warren-launches-2020-bid-call-ignore-cowards-go-big-n969691

The New York TimesVerified account @nytimes 18h18 hours ago

“Every vote matters, and the way we can make that happen is that we can have national voting,

and that means get rid of the Electoral College,” Senator Elizabeth Warren said,

drawing one of her longest ovations of the night

" Every vote matters. We need to get rid of the Electoral College so that presidential candidates have to ask every American in every part of the country for their vote,

not just those in battleground states. #WarrenTownHall

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

The New York TimesVerified account @nytimes 18h18 hours ago

“Every vote matters, and the way we can make that happen is that we can have national voting,

and that means get rid of the Electoral College,” Senator Elizabeth Warren said,

drawing one of her longest ovations of the night

" Every vote matters. We need to get rid of the Electoral College so that presidential candidates have to ask every American in every part of the country for their vote,

not just those in battleground states. #WarrenTownHall

Warren is just punking her supporters.    Isn't that obvious!  

You see when the Dem gets more popular votes than Trump but loses the election,  she can say 'I told you,,, we need to get rid of the EC'.

IF she had faith in the Dem parties' ability to win the election she wouldn't have mentioned the EC.     I.e. the comment clearly shows weakness  (the complete opposite of arrogant and lying Trump,,,, e.g. Trump saying he did win the popular vote in 2016 due to voter fraud in states like CA and NY).

UNLESS:   Warren is a complete moron and really believes the EC can be removed and replace with a popular vote for the office of President:   you see the same small states that like having more say than the larger ones, have these same non-proportional powers and thus are NOT going to reduce their power by voting to get rid of the EC.

I assume Warren knows this but just hopes there are enough ignorant Dems that don't.

19 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Warren is just punking her supporters.    Isn't that obvious!  

You see when the Dem gets more popular votes than Trump but loses the election,  she can say 'I told you,,, we need to get rid of the EC'.

IF she had faith in the Dem parties' ability to win the election she wouldn't have mentioned the EC.     I.e. the comment clearly shows weakness  (the complete opposite of arrogant and lying Trump,,,, e.g. Trump saying he did win the popular vote in 2016 due to voter fraud in states like CA and NY).

UNLESS:   Warren is a complete moron and really believes the EC can be removed and replace with a popular vote for the office of President:   you see the same small states that like having more say than the larger ones, have these same non-proportional powers and thus are NOT going to reduce their power by voting to get rid of the EC.

I assume Warren knows this but just hopes there are enough ignorant Dems that don't.

The Electoral College was not created to favor the slave states.  It was created to prevent a demagogue from convincing the populace to vote for him by telling lies and so forth. (Doesn't always work)  Also as an alternative to having Congress elect the president.  There was also a benefit to small states (NH, VT, DE, etc.) as well that they would have some influence as opposed to the very populous states, such as NY, PA, etc.  That would now be CA, NY, PA, IL, TX, FL, etc.  Then you have the 20th/21st Century impact of media concentrations.

Have to remember that the senators at that time were elected by state legislatures, not the people.  This was another method to restrain the populace from controlling the country.  The Founding Fathers did not want a democracy and did not trust the populace, even though voting was restricted to white males of property over 21.

Has anyone come up with a system that would work better?  REMEMBER, we are not a nation of people, but a nation of states.  The United STATES of America.

If we follow the popular vote concept why not have US representatives elected at large in each state, rather than by district?  Then why not state legislatures, county councils, school boards, ad infinitum?

37 minutes ago, TheCid said:

The Electoral College was not created to favor the slave states.  It was created to prevent a demagogue from convincing the populace to vote for him by telling lies and so forth. (Doesn't always work)  Also as an alternative to having Congress elect the president.  There was also a benefit to small states (NH, VT, DE, etc.) as well that they would have some influence as opposed to the very populous states, such as NY, PA, etc.  That would now be CA, NY, PA, IL, TX, FL, etc.  Then you have the 20th/21st Century impact of media concentrations.

Have to remember that the senators at that time were elected by state legislatures, not the people.  This was another method to restrain the populace from controlling the country.  The Founding Fathers did not want a democracy and did not trust the populace, even though voting was restricted to white males of property over 21.

Has anyone come up with a system that would work better?  REMEMBER, we are not a nation of people, but a nation of states.  The United STATES of America.

If we follow the popular vote concept why not have US representatives elected at large in each state, rather than by district?  Then why not state legislatures, county councils, school boards, ad infinitum?

Why do you mention the 'slave states'.   

Anyhow,  I ready knew what you mention here (so I don't need to remember it),  but I don't see how any of it is relevant to what I posted about Warren.

it appears you're confusing my post with another:  you replied to the wrong post???

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Why do you mention the 'slave states'.   

Anyhow,  I ready knew what you mention here (so I don't need to remember it),  but I don't see how any of it is relevant to what I posted about Warren.

it appears you're confusing my post with another:  you replied to the wrong post???

A previous post said EC was created to favor the slave states.  I copied the post from my response to that post. 

May have been confusing in that I was trying to cheat and not type so much to respond to your post.  My error.  But I did think the topic warranted an explanation re: the power of the "states" in the US form of government.

Kamala KelkarVerified account @kkelkar

Back in 1787, there were 13 colonies + a central govt that wanted more power.

So delegates from each colony (except RI) met for a four-month Constitutional convention in Philly, wrapping it up w the same Electoral College system that remains today.

(thread)

https://twitter.com/kkelkar/status/1108426709580374018

....In addition to a two-party, winner take all EC system, Madison + others in 1787 could not anticipate the abolition of slavery nearly 100 years later, suffrage, blurring of geographical lines, gerrymandering or really anything about the society we’re in today. .....

The racial history of the Electoral College — and why efforts to change it have stalled

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/the-racial-history-of-the-electoral-college-and-why-efforts-to-change-it-have-stalled

I like some of Warren's ideas, but I hope she doesn't get the nomination. I'm a pragmatist. I don't think she could win. Nothing to do with the fact that she's a woman. I voted for Hillary every chance I got. I like Klobachar.

In the end, I'll vote for the Democratic candidate. I hope it will be Biden, Klobachar, or Castro; or maybe a Biden ticket with one of the other two.

But I hope it's not Bernie -- it's the same dame!  (Sorry) 😀

the-lady-eve-1941-william-demarest-barba

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I like some of Warren's ideas, but I hope she doesn't get the nomination. I'm a pragmatist. I don't think she could win.

Why do you believe Warren can't win (beat Trump) verses anyone other than Biden?  

In this field of Dem candidates Warren is one of the more relatively 'moderate' ones.   (ok not like Klobachar, who I believe has the best chance of beating Trump,  but is too 'moderate' (as well as not angry enough against all-things-Trump) to win the Dem nomination).

I guess my point here is that Warren has a better chance of beating Trump than anyone other then Biden or Klobachar.     

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Why do you believe Warren can't win (beat Trump) verses anyone other than Biden?  

In this field of Dem candidates Warren is one of the more relatively 'moderate' ones.   (ok not like Klobachar, who I believe has the best chance of beating Trump,  but is too 'moderate' (as well as not angry enough against all-things-Trump) to win the Dem nomination).

I guess my point here is that Warren has a better chance of beating Trump than anyone other then Biden or Klobachar.     

I'm sorry to say that part of politics is theater. There's something about Warren's delivery that is off-putting. Rachel Maddow, whom I really like, has it too. It's a manner of delivery, of dropping the ends of sentences, and other tricks/tics that don't suit a politician. I don't like Warren's manner, but I would certainly vote for Warren if she were the nominee. The East and West Coasts will vote for the Democrat. We need to get back those Democratic states like Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan, without which Trump would not have won. And we need to try to win Florida and Ohio. Madame Omar may have already destroyed the Democrats chances in Florida.

• Thanks 1

Warren Campaign Focuses On Policy,...

" In the crowded field of Democratic presidential candidates, Sen. Bernie Sanders might have the biggest army of supporters, Sen. Kamala Harris might come from a bigger state and former Rep. Beto O'Rourke might have his skateboard, but Sen. Elizabeth Warren is the policy candidate. ..........

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/22/705457219/warren-focuses-on-policy-which-looks-like-a-tough-sell-with-voters?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190322&fbclid=IwAR3QWL16a-MQbqzPVBIXgTNZWn5oPQh6Dkhd4qXWHvJ8dxrl8ytVdwF2oNg

23 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Elizabeth WarrenVerified account @SenWarren 2h2 hours ago

Dr. @tressiemcphd has spent years studying how for-profit colleges prey on the poor, women, & people of color – sucking down taxpayer dollars

& loading up students with debt for useless degrees, while Wall Street rakes in the cash. I just think that’s fundamentally wrong.

I agree which is why 'free' college for all is a bad idea;   like student loans if for-profit colleges know someone else is footing the bill,  that just increases the odds they rip off the 'system'.

We see this in other areas;  when consumers don't have a stake in the cost,  the businesses providing services to these consumers grossly overcharge and \ or provide lower quality services. 

Note this is why in the workers' comp system,  where claimants (employees) by law can't be charged for medical services,  there are fee-schedules that determine and cap the cost of care.  Also insurance companies (who foot the bill),  can deny non-medical related or cosmetic procedures.

Elizabeth WarrenVerified account @ewarren 3h3 hours ago

The severity of this misconduct demands that elected officials in both parties set aside political considerations and do their constitutional duty.

That means the House should initiate impeachment proceedings against the President of the United States.

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1119331296470237185

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Elizabeth WarrenVerified account @ewarren 3h3 hours ago

The severity of this misconduct demands that elected officials in both parties set aside political considerations and do their constitutional duty.

That means the House should initiate impeachment proceedings against the President of the United States.

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1119331296470237185

This is likely a wise thing to say as it relates to obtaining the Dem nomination,  and since impeachment is up to mainly Pelosi and she isn't going to push that,   the statement will be irrelevant and forgotten by the time of the general election.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

I don't see this lineup as very strong. In fact, as they stand right now, Trump will steamroll over every one of them. And you know how I feel about Trump.

Things may change as the field narrows and their platforms and personalities become more focused, but I'm not holding out much hope at this very early point.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I don't see this lineup as very strong. In fact, as they stand right now, Trump will steamroll over every one of them. And you know how I feel about Trump.

Things may change as the field narrows and their platforms and personalities become more focused, but I'm not holding out much hope at this very early point.

I don't know who the strong field is? 

But I still think Joe Biden can beat him.

However, you never know what can happen in more than a year's time.

23 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I don't know who the strong field is? 

But I still think Joe Biden can beat him.

However, you never know what can happen in more than a year's time.

Four years ago Biden may have beat him - maybe.  Now, I don't know.  He is old, looks old and acts old so the millennial voters will not rally to him.  Trump has the old, white people's vote locked up no matter what happens.

As for Warren, I think she just gets deeper and deeper in trouble every time she comes up a new plan to spend trillions.  The latest is to add another 2% (she says) to the income taxes to pay for free college, pay off college loans and so forth.  That is 2% on everybody from what I hear.

Seth AbramsonVerified account @SethAbramson 8h8 hours ago

*And* she supports the initiation of impeachment proceedings,

confirming that it *is* possible for a politician to walk and chew gum at the same time  :rolleyes:

====================================

The HillVerified account @thehill

Elizabeth Warren unveils plan to cancel student loan debt,

create universal free college http://hill.cm/S4AjwCt 

D4wbzZjX4AAAyJs.jpg